To do or not to do

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

To do or not to do

Postby anonymousUser » Fri May 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Hello,

I have a question: how can I improve my discernment? A situation goes like this:

1) An idea comes to me, even about the simples things ("Do this; do that; take a deeper breath; scratch yourself, etc." - actually it's not verbalised. It's more like an image in my imagination, probably connected with some impulse/emotion. I just verbalise it here).
2) I stop for a moment. I look at my experience and - inter alia - check the balance between
a) the peace that I experience in that moment and
b) the frustration that comes from the fact that I am not doing it (acting on the idea) yet.
Sometimes the idea goes away (it doesn't seem relevant anymore). Sometimes I act on that idea (like posting this topic). It's hard to precisely describe the "algorithm" that I follow more or less consciously in my discernment. Actually, the parameters in my "algorithm" varies over time.

Just imagine this: you drive a car and you stop every 15 meters in order to decide wheter you want to continue driving or stop or maybe turn left/right? Wouldn't that be frustrating? Wouldn't you want to be "more in the ease/flow"?

"So why don't you just be more in the flow, why don't you just choose whichever choice comes first, without discerning too hard?" you might ask. And my answer is this: My mind has ADHD. I'm afraid that I could very easily get lost in my thoughts/emotions/impulses, etc. So I try to be careful.

Basically, I am torn between two great teachings:

1) Follow your joy, your highest excitement, what resonates more, be "courageous" (Bashar, Bentinho Massaro and others)
2) Stay undisturbed by your desires, just stop, be "lazy" (Gangaji, also Bentinho Massaro and others)

What I want? I just want to be much more peaceful, much more in the ease/flow.
anonymousUser

Re: To do or not to do

Postby dijmart » Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 am

I don't know what it's like to have ADHD...So, I can not give advice regarding that, however I do have Bipolar disorder although mostly controlled with medication. With Bipolar one can be impulsive, so I understand that aspect. Basically, I go with the flow..unless..I have a thought that what I'm doing is harmful in some way, to myself or others. Sometimes it can be hard to resist I will admit, if not thinking clearly.

The two teachings you mentioned... it's not one or the other, but a blend. I'm not fond of any of the teachers you mentioned though, sorry. Look up Eckhart Tolle's 'awakened doing', in "A New Earth".
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sat May 27, 2017 10:12 pm

Hello, dijmart.

Thank you for your answer. What do you have against them? I've already read the "New Earth" many times.
To be specific:

- I don't really have a diagnosis. (except for the disorders of spatial imagination)
- I didn't mean that I have ADHD. Maybe I had some symptoms when I was a child, but I don't know. I'm not hyperactive with my body (unless I want to, which - sometimes - I do).
- I mean that MY MIND has ADHD. I'm usually very restrained, if it comes to my body (and even if it comes to communication). I am much more impulsive in my mental aspect - in shifting attention, self-talk and creating images in my imagination. I was like this since a child - I often wasn't really paying attention to my teachers in school, was lost in thoughts. However, nowadays, I'm much more "awake".

I don't know if I have a bipolar. I show some symptoms, but who doesn't? A few months ago I was going to the psychoterapist and after 3 meetings she told me, that if I want to continue, I should go to the psychiatrist in order to be diagnosed. But I haven't gone there (yet?).

I might have or have had OCD and/or OCPD. As a child I also have had tics, but I have learned to control them, at least to some (high, I'd say) degree.

Yes, I know it's probably about blending them. My questions is: what is a good way to blend them? Should I just patiently follow my own trial-and-error process? Or maybe there is some way to accelerate (or transform?) that process? Or maybe there is some another solution?

PS: I love you. (Just please don't take it "too personally" ;-) ).
anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 am

I don't have anything "against" them per se, except they are neo-advaita at its worst, it my opinion. I can't explain more then that.

As far as having disorders or not..it's concerning the apparent person you seem to be and not who you truly are, so if you recognize this, then not a problem.

How do you blend the two teachings...by conscious choice depending on the situation at hand. Don't hold a fixed ideal of either within your mind for all circumstances.

PS: I love you. (Just please don't take it "too personally" ;-) ).

Darn, you don't want to marry me?? ..Just kiddin' :wink:

Since, there is truly only one of us..you are me and I am you. I love you too.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:36 am

Ok, thx.

dijmart wrote:I don't have anything "against" them per se, except they are neo-advaita at its worst,

Neo-advaita?

anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 am

anonymousUser wrote:Ok, thx.

dijmart wrote:I don't have anything "against" them per se, except they are neo-advaita at its worst,

Neo-advaita?

Funny pic!

Here's a description between neo-advaita vs traditional Vedanta

https://www.advaita-vision.org/neo-adva ... l-vedanta/
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:49 am

dijmart wrote:Here's a description between neo-advaita vs traditional Vedanta

Therefore neither Bashar, nor Bentinho Massaro, nor Gangaji is a neo-advaita teacher. Far from that, especially Bentinho Massaro, who warns about the poison and traps of non-duality.
anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:11 am

anonymousUser wrote:
dijmart wrote:Here's a description between neo-advaita vs traditional Vedanta

Therefore neither Bashar, nor Bentinho Massaro, nor Gangaji is a neo-advaita teacher. Far from that, especially Bentinho Massaro, who warns about the poison and traps of non-duality.

Vedanta also states the "real" and the "apparent" are non-dual, but in a different way, it's based on scripture, tradition, a teaching methodology, it's the science of Self knowledge, ect., ect.

Perhaps the article was confusing? Or not the best example after all. I would consider the teachers you listed as neo-advaita teachers. Not saying they don't have value, but it's a different teaching (they make it up as they see fit, usually based on their experience). They leave out key aspects needed to understand what's really going on here, imho.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:35 am

dijmart wrote:Perhaps the article was confusing? Or not the best example after all. I would consider the teachers you listed as neo-advaita teachers.
No. I have before met the "neo-advaita" term. Yes, Tony Parsons is neo-advaita. Paul Smit and Lisa Cairns too. Karl Renz maybe too.

No, Bentinho Massaro is not neo-advaita. He's not advaita vedanta neither.
No, Gangaji is not neo-advaita. She is somewhat advaita, but not vedanta.
No, Bashar is not neo-advaita.

I consider Rupert Spira and Francis Lucille advaita vedanta teachers.

dijmart wrote:They leave out key aspects needed to understand what's really going on here, imho.
It doesn't matter. Because it's up to me to free myself (earn the Grace, by cooperating with It). Why should I limit myself to some outer teaching? It's a disempowering attitude. My higher self is my best teacher. Advaita Vedanta is only a system of thoughts, that appears inside of my consciousness. Why should I believe a phenomenon that appears in my awareness? Why should I believe some form? Actually, I don't believe in Advaita anymore. It has much value, but not an ultimate value for me. It has it's traps. For example the trap of believing that there is no free will. Actually, neo-advaita is much more consistent. Advaita is a little bit hypocritical to me ("You don't exist, but you need to do something in order to discover that you don't exist"; Oh, c'mon).

PS: I don't want to sound too harsh or agreesive or unfriendly, etc. Still love you :)
anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:55 am

You seem to have a bunch of jumbled up ideas/beliefs. I'll just leave it alone at this point. As I'm not into lecturing those that feel they already have it all figured out.

Ps, I didn't take it as angry or aggressive..no worries.

Pss, Bashar is channeled, so actually I don't know where to classify that?? Lol.

Psss. If someone is teaching Buddhism, traditional Vedanta or another "actual" tradition they are not neo advaita in my book.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 pm

dijmart wrote:You seem to have a bunch of jumbled up ideas/beliefs. I'll just leave it alone at this point. As I'm not into lecturing those that feel they already have it all figured out.

I don't claim to have it "all" figured out. I just point to the universal path, which is beyond and prior to any teaching. Decision to follow any teaching is a decision itself. Based on something, on some path. And I am trying to point that "something", that path. That "something" (my inner path) - according to my recognition of it - leads me to many different outer teachings (outer paths).

Actually, it's fun to know many different points of view. It makes mind more flexible and open. Actually, I guess it's all about becoming conscious of your unconsciousness. And I believe exposing yourself to many different points of view (at least to those that resonate with you) might be helpful, at least in the long-run.

Actually, I have tried many teachings (for not single one of them I have found completely sufficient) - with trial and error - and that way I am clarifying my way more and more.
anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Nothing wrong with looking up many different teachings/teachers. I did the same thing after reading Tolle. It has its usefulness, even if it's use is to realize thoughs teachings may only get you so far. Once I got to that point, which took several years I turned to traditional Vedanta. The grand daddy of Self knowledge.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Do you know how I got to know Gangaji? I was googling for other Eckhart Tolle's books, but has found Gangaji's "Diamond in Your Pocket" with Eckhart Tolle's foreword.

"This book is meant for the rapidly growing number of spiritual seekers who are approaching the end of their seeking and who are ready for the undiluted truth. The fact that you are reading these words means that it is your destiny to be an essential part of this great adventure of collective awakening."
—From the foreword by Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now
anonymousUser

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Welp, not trying to piss anyone off here, but Eckhart is imo, neo-advaita as well. I think he's great and helps a lot of people. He has a way of putting things that get people thinking and some realize their true nature, but ultimately he is neo advaita too.
Last edited by dijmart on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dijmart

Postby anonymousUser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:30 pm

dijmart wrote:Welp, not trying to piss anyone off here, but Eckhart is neo-advaita as well. I think he's great and helps a lot of people. He has a way of putting things that get people thinking and some realize their true nature, but ultimately he is neo advaita too.
Oh. Now my image of you got more consistent ;-) Thank you.

In my dictionary, neo-advaita means: "All there is is this. And everything is just happening. Questions?"
Therefore - in my dictionary - there are very few true neo-advaita teachers. Tony Parsons, Paul Smit, Lisa Cairns.
That kind of neo-advaita has helped me to end some gestalts. It has helped me to gain the possibility of looking at everything that happens, as if it was just happening by itself. It's a very relaxing experience. If there is nothing I can do, then there is nothing I NEED to do. So I can just relax. And I can even stop believing that there is nothing I can do and start seeking again - for that is also what is just happening.

Neo-advaita is an enlightenment for lazy people - all you need to do is to just listen to it, or read it (in a relaxed manner). My sense is that it has had some transformative value for me.
anonymousUser

Next

Return to Questions