Once your ‘head is in the tigers mouth’ ...

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Once your ‘head is in the tigers mouth’ ...

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:39 am

Once your ‘head is in the tigers mouth’ .... you will continue to read, watch, listen to spiritual teachings. You might try to ...stop...and "dream the dream" or nightmare you were dreaming, but if you are "in the tigers mouth", it's a done deal. It's a matter of time.

You will return to it, again and again, you have no choice. Once the door has opened a crack...the crack gets larger over time, not smaller and the door certainly doesn't close.

It's easy to curse misfortunes in life, but if you're on this path, then bless them, for they will be your motivating force.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Re: Once your ‘head is in the tigers mouth’ ...

Postby steve Davidson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:19 am

Beautifully stated, thanks. And yes, even the misfortunes are not seen really as misfortunes, but as further opportunities to go deeper, for awakening. In other words, use suffering as a path for enlightenment.
steve Davidson

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:08 pm

steve Davidson wrote: In other words, use suffering as a path for enlightenment.

Yes! :wink:

Because ending suffering is the goal.
dijmart

Postby steve Davidson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm

"Your head is already in the tiger's mouth. There is no escape" is a saying attributed to Ramana Maharshi as far as i know. It means something to the effect that once the seeking has started, there is no turning back and the ego will be eventually seen into as not who you really are. The process has already started and it is too late, to go back to believing you are just this small little self. This matches exactly what Dijmart was saying in her post.
steve Davidson

Postby painBody » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:19 am

... you are dead, because tigers bite with a force of approx. 1000 lb/sq. inch.

But, that will never happen ... if a tiger wants to kill you, you will never ever see it. It will stalk you, then attack you from behind, from a distance of within 100 ft. The extremely powerful musculature of tigers enables them to leap 30 ft in one bound, the leap that kills, with the tiger's 3 inch canines sinking into your neck vertebrae.

But yeah, I agree with what you're saying, Dij. I listen to his teachings everyday, in the shower, and while washing dishes :) I can't tell you how much and how often I find myself just wanting to run up to Eckhart and shake his hand and thank him for saving me.

Better this path than a path of cocaine or heroin addiction, yeah ?
painBody

Postby dijmart » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 am

The saying is meant to be "figurative", but I'm glad you ultimately agree. :wink:
dijmart

Postby painBody » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:46 am

dijmart wrote:The saying is meant to be "figurative", but I'm glad you ultimately agree. :wink:

I know :D Just being silly :P
painBody

Postby Rubber Soul » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:19 am

painBody wrote:I find myself just wanting to run up to Eckhart and shake his hand and thank him for saving me.

I imagine hugging him would be pretty amazing
Rubber Soul

Postby randomguy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:51 am

Well said dij
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby dijmart » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 am

randomguy wrote:Well said dij

Thanks! :)
dijmart

Postby meetjoeblack » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:16 am

dijmart wrote:Once your ‘head is in the tigers mouth’ .... you will continue to read, watch, listen to spiritual teachings. You might try to ...stop...and "dream the dream" or nightmare you were dreaming, but if you are "in the tigers mouth", it's a done deal. It's a matter of time.

You will return to it, again and again, you have no choice. Once the door has opened a crack...the crack gets larger over time, not smaller and the door certainly doesn't close.

It's easy to curse misfortunes in life, but if you're on this path, then bless them, for they will be your motivating force.

Your wise. I listen to Jordan Peterson. He is this clinical psychologist. He talks about that ying yang symbol; one side being peace and the other side being chaos. If we walk the side of peace, we stagnate, and if we float around in chaos, we are lost in it. The ideal route is the snake; the middle between chaos and peace. Its in those times of chaos that we need to be present and to take in the lesson that is right in front of us. I am learning to turn into the skid when fish tailing.
meetjoeblack

Postby dijmart » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks MJB, I don't know anything about that psychologist, but it seems his advice is geared to the little "me", not to seeing through it or realizing your true nature, but like I said I don't know his work. It seems he's just saying to have a balance in life, which I do agree with that on that level. There's a time for work, play, rest and most important...Self inquiry.
dijmart

Postby randomguy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:37 pm

meetjoeblack wrote:... turn into the skid when fish tailing

I like that, and agree, turning attention into that uncomfortable conditioned response when by grace it happens and openly exploring it with gentle attention without blasting the experience with the horn of belief or applying an over-steer of thoughts to it but letting it ring in it's rawness appreciating the sensation of sliding and just be and notice to see what there is to see about it, turning into the source of suffering the skid corrects itself.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby meetjoeblack » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:39 am

randomguy wrote:
meetjoeblack wrote:... turn into the skid when fish tailing

I like that, and agree, turning attention into that uncomfortable conditioned response when by grace it happens and openly exploring it with gentle attention without blasting the experience with the horn of belief or applying an over-steer of thoughts to it but letting it ring in it's rawness appreciating the sensation of sliding and just be and notice to see what there is to see about it, turning into the source of suffering the skid corrects itself.

Thanks. This is as every bit as much of a reminder to myself then really anything. Its easy to run away from fears and from the ego. I am learning more and more, I am student and a teacher in this life time.

@ Dij, thanks again
meetjoeblack

Return to General Discussion