My meditation practice

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

My meditation practice

Postby athena777 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 am

I meditate throughout the day.

Whenever I start to have bad thoughts, I focus on the breath.

I picture a wolf in the center of the belly. This signifies my lone wolf nature.

It makes me feel at peace.

Is this appropriate spiritually?
athena777

Re: My meditation practice

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:31 am

Does this practice make you feel better? The 'lone wolf' focus may create a conscious atmosphere of isolation. Do you feel that is in your best interest? Are you withdrawing? Are you afraid of something? Or are you simply exploring a certain experience? Why the lone wolf?

My take is that there is no 'appropriate' to spirituality. There is only the experience we have based on our focus of attention and the meaning we give to the events that unfold in our lives. At our core we are creative beings. Lone wolf energy is just one possibility that brings a certain kind of experience. Place your focus in another way and get a different kind of experience.

Again, as events unfold for us, we apply meaning and judgment based on the beliefs and conditioning we hold, and get an experience commensurate with our prevailing thought structure. I see this human life as a matter of exploration. One might explore a lone wolf approach, or a life of the party approach, or any of many, many ways to experience this human environment.

The question is: what do you want? What feels the best in this moment? You can of course, change course if you wish and understand what it takes to do so.

'Appropriate' suggests that there are some standards that must be met. But the only standards I see are the experience we create for ourselves. What feels best?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby dijmart » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 pm

athena777 wrote:I meditate throughout the day.

Whenever I start to have bad thoughts, I focus on the breath.

I picture a wolf in the center of the belly. This signifies my lone wolf nature.

My question is, does this work for you? If it's working why question if it's appropriate? Appropriate for who? If it creates peace for you, then how can it be wrong spiritually? Another trick you could try if this stops working for you at some point, is apply the opposite thought. Consciously think a positive thought if thinking negatively.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby athena777 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks you two. Sorry for the delay in thanking you.

One more question: which do you think is more effective in dealing with negative intrustive thoughts: mindfulness or positive self talk?
athena777

Postby dijmart » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 pm

athena777 wrote:Thanks you two. Sorry for the delay in thanking you.

One more question: which do you think is more effective in dealing with negative intrustive thoughts: mindfulness or positive self talk?

Id say you need to be mindful enough to apply the opposite (positive) thought, so both.
dijmart

Postby randomguy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Wolves are my favorite animal so its a yes for me (for what it's worth).

Noticing that you are not your mind, noticing that negative or positive thoughts they come and go and here you are - eternally here - thoughts appearing and going to you. What matter are those thoughts? What could they have to say about the vastness within which they fleetingly appear? Why even bother countering them with effort? You are already here as this present moment in which thoughts only ping like tiny wind-chimes.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby athena777 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm

randomguy wrote:

Wolves are my favorite animal so its a yes for me (for what it's worth).

Noticing that you are not your mind, noticing that negative or positive thoughts they come and go and here you are - eternally here - thoughts appearing and going to you. What matter are those thoughts? What could they have to say about the vastness within which they fleetingly appear? Why even bother countering them with effort? You are already here as this present moment in which thoughts only ping like tiny wind-chimes.

If I don't counter them with effort, they just go on and on until i feel enraged. It's hard to be mindful.

But is it true that you can't control your thoughts?
athena777

Postby randomguy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Seems to me they come from the same place as the sun and the clouds and the hearbeats and the breaths. Control thoughts? Might as well control the weather. What can be done is see them for what they are and deprive your experienced state from identification stemming from thoughts. Cease finding a senseo of self in thoughts and see what the experience is like in doing so. Deprive them of oxygen. Place attention on the the underlying awareness, on the Self and devalue attention on thoughts. Thoughts can also be questioned and examined (inquiry). Explore if those thoughts are really true, can you absolutely know that this thought is true? Do this enough and mind gives up looking for truth in thoughts because none of them are absolutely true.

"As I can't be what I perceive, I am not this body-mind or any thing that I am conscious of." - Nisargadatta
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho
randomguy

Postby dijmart » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:14 pm

RG said-

Explore if those thoughts are really true, can you absolutely know that this thought is true?

Right, which also takes thought, then apply the opposite thought if you'd like, or not.
dijmart

Postby athena777 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Is there such a thing as mindful thinking?
athena777

Postby dijmart » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:39 am

athena777 wrote:Is there such a thing as mindful thinking?

To me, if your mndful you are mindful of all objects, including your thinking.
dijmart

Postby athena777 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:14 pm

What's a good example of mindful thinking, like a sentence?
athena777

Postby dijmart » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 pm

athena777 wrote:What's a good example of mindful thinking, like a sentence?

To me if your mindful, you are aware OF your thinking. You may notice patterns of thinking you weren't aware of before and from there can challenge those thought, beliefs, values, ect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/greatist.c ... tation/amp
dijmart

Postby athena777 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Oh, so you mean mindfulness. Thanks!
athena777

Postby dijmart » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 am

athena777 wrote:Oh, so you mean mindfulness. Thanks!

Lol, yes, mindfulness. :)
dijmart

Return to General Discussion