How important is to follow STRICTLY precepts ?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

How important is to follow STRICTLY precepts ?

Postby Ervin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi everyone.

Ok, now in Buddhism you have precepts, they are as follows: No killing, no stealing, no lying, no sexual misconduct, no alcohol/ or drugs, as aded recently.

Now, do you think that it's very important to be very strict in upholding these precepts? Ie, do you think that we should let's say never get drunk, but I mean like never.

Also, which are the most important precept/s to you? To me I would say that they are all sort of equal, however, I do see lying as particularly bad.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Thanks
Ervin

Re: How important is to follow STRICTLY precepts ?

Postby Webwanderer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:44 am

I think it best to ignore all the precepts you listed and any others like them. One's best focus of attention is to simply feel God in your heart and let that feeling be your guide. Stealing and killing and lying comes from a rationalization and belief that it's somehow alright. Considered from the feeling of God/Source/True Nature, as a guide, the essence of that rationalization is more likely laid bare.

I read many years ago that in the earliest versions of the Commandments that they were all preceded by the phrase 'If you have God in your heart...' and then the word 'shall' instead of 'shalt'. What you get is 'If you have God in your heart, thou shall not kill.' They are not so much commandments as guides to better living.

Consider that direction with commandments and precepts of all kinds. And then consider the different effect on one's perception to focus more on the feeling of God than the resistance to some stated 'sin'.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Mystic » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:20 am

Webwanderer wrote: What you get is 'If you have God in your heart, thou shall not kill.' They are not so much commandments as guides to better living.

I agree with you, that this is true. :D Commandments are not actually commands per se but they are more like helpful clues and pointers to awakening. The awe and felt oneness of being with all life. The law of universal oneness means that as we think and do unto others, so we think and do unto our-self. This is also referred to as the law of attraction. Thoughts and emotions are vibrations and vibrations in one's inner space resonate with similar forms in the world.
Mystic

Postby EnterZenFromThere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

The version of the commandments you describe WW feels so much more true than the one we commonly hear. It has a totally different feel to it and rings true with the words of someone living in the revelation of God's Love.
EnterZenFromThere

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Yeah, it kind of takes the need to resist out of it. There is a natural feel of openness to it that says I don't need rules to do what's right. All I really need is a clear sense of Source Energy.

WW
Webwanderer

Return to General Discussion