How can I go beyond my identification with the will

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

How can I go beyond my identification with the will

Postby jtightlips21 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:26 pm

I dont know if others have experienced this before, but I find that my volitional ego has become strong and stubborn. I have noticed for a while that I am fed up with the intellectual ego, in its ability to only see a reality that is exists independent of whether or not it should. For example, I hate when I express an ideal and then someone states the obvious that I already know. I have a strong dislike for any restrictions placed on freedom. I also find myself easily getting frustrated when I dont get what I want, and can get especially angry at an entity that is actively refusing to let me have what I want. However I think much of this fear is over being forced to identify with my intellectual consciousness, which inherently sees people as products of something wholly outside themself, such as a pagan god or laws of nature.
jtightlips21

Re: How can I go beyond my identification with the will

Postby DavidB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:52 am

Eckhart says not to expect people to be enlightened, as they are not.

Most people are deeply unconscious and have temporary moments of clarity, much like human history. In this way, we develop understanding, compassion, allowing others, and ourselves, to be where we are at, without judgment or criticism.

The key is to witness what happens, without the need to label, without the need to develop attitudes or agendas. Be interested in how you're feeling, but don't necessarily act upon it or follow it giving it momentum.
“Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves.” ― Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
DavidB

Re: How can I go beyond my identification with the will

Postby jtightlips21 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:34 am

I dont know if this is a limitation of the mind, but I find that the mind can only recognize something as being ether factual or not. However, I wonder if desire makes something real. At times, I sometimes ask why should we conform to reality when reality does not necessarily conform to our wishes. We sometimes ask why should we surrender to and accept a world grounded on impersonal facts. But then I at times wonder if desire goes beyond fact. I think the mind could make a logical argument that desire is relative to fact, but to see desire as greater than fact seems impossible to understand.
jtightlips21

Return to Questions