Share an anecdote around the campfire

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: Share an anecdote around the campfire

Postby kiki » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 am

P.S. Is that woman your wife today ?

Still a bachelor. Maybe the next time around if I bump into her again.

Edit:

kiki - Wow, since we're on a spiritual forum, I'm not sure how much of what you said is fiction and how much fact.

It's time to come clean on the story. It was actually authored by the late actor Geoffrey Lewis. When I heard it I liked it so much I transcribed it and then memorized it. I like to do that with poems/stories that I really like, and then tell them to students.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby painBody » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

One of the biggest thrills or most euphoric moments of my life was when I figured out how to swim, at the age of 31. I could only do the breaststroke, which comes naturally to me (I can't do freestyle to save my life).

My amazing swim teacher, Sarah Fretwell, did the impossible - got me comfortable in the water ... and taught me almost everything ... the one thing she didn't know how to convey to me was that the hand motion for the breaststroke had a vertical component that would cause the head to bob up (allowing me to breathe). And, ... haha. ... it was a YouTube video that filled that final gap for me and taught me the last thing I needed to know before I could swim !!!

It was a thrill like almost none other .... esp. since I was already an old man and had been scared shitless of the water all my life ... until then !
painBody

Postby rachMiel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:25 pm

painBody wrote:Like with anything else in life, it's great and it's not ;)

Or you can look at it from the Middle Way perspective: Though it might appear to be great or not-great, it's ultimately neither.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby painBody » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:56 am

rachMiel wrote:
painBody wrote:Like with anything else in life, it's great and it's not ;)

Or you can look at it from the Middle Way perspective: Though it might appear to be great or not-great, it's ultimately neither.

That said, I miss, horribly, the surge of blood and Oxygen from an intense set of bench pressing. I miss lying next to a beautiful woman in bed (and ... having a bed to lie in). I miss having money (enough to be comfortable). I miss having that thing with four wheels that, more than anything, signifies freedom and the ability to change your surroundings when all you're surrounded by is shit. A drive by the Pacific ocean, with my favorite music playing ... that kind of thing is much too underrated. I truly understand its value now.

I miss being able to live my life in form. It has its rightful place in the scheme of things. I see that now ... really.

A beautiful and incredibly intelligent woman from my past once said, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." ... it did :)
painBody

Postby rachMiel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

With all that missing how can you be engaged with whatever happens to be happening right now?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby painBody » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:38 pm

rachMiel wrote:With all that missing how can you be engaged with whatever happens to be happening right now?

To be honest, I don't feel an overwhelming need to be engaged in what's happening now because not much is happening now, except for trying to stay occupied by doing some programming.

I don't dwell on the past. I just have passing thoughts about it. I don't spend my whole day missing those things. It just hits me sometimes.

How're you doing, my friend ? How are the ducks treating you ?
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:44 am

Hi guys!

Pb, your parents sound awesome! Truly blessed to have parents like that.

I didn't know you were sleeping on a bathroom floor, no couch there?..

That post is the first time I've heard you talk about what you miss from the path your on... I wonder if the tide is turning? Meaning, you could get a job, which would lead to other things. Not that money's everything. I make good money, but I hate working full time. If I could keep my same job and do it part time (if the position existed) I'd probably do it.

So, do I have a story? Hmmm..... I went to 4 different schools in 1st grade. Which isn't good. I didn't do well, but they didn't hold me back a grade. They felt sorry for me. So, I was horribly behind in reading/spelling and I had to do the after school reading program for 3 years. To this day my spelling is awful and I cringe whenever I have to read out loud. :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Enlightened2B » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:27 am

rachMiel wrote:'Twas beauty drew me there. The music/culture/philosophy, the landscapes and old towns, and of course ... love. (We're still great friends.) I'm a Long Islander, grew up a few miles from Jones Beach. How about you?

I was at Long Beach today ha! A little loop around the Loop Parkway. I live on the border of Queens/Nassau. Didn't know you were from Long Island originally. Very cool. Saw some good shows at the Jones Beach theater. The last being the Allman brothers.
Enlightened2B

Postby painBody » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:43 am

dijmart wrote:Hi guys!

Pb, your parents sound awesome! Truly blessed to have parents like that.

I didn't know you were sleeping on a bathroom floor, no couch there?..

That post is the first time I've heard you talk about what you miss from the path your on... I wonder if the tide is turning? Meaning, you could get a job, which would lead to other things. Not that money's everything. I make good money, but I hate working full time. If I could keep my same job and do it part time (if the position existed) I'd probably do it.

So, do I have a story? Hmmm..... I went to 4 different schools in 1st grade. Which isn't good. I didn't do well, but they didn't hold me back a grade. They felt sorry for me. So, I was horribly behind in reading/spelling and I had to do the after school reading program for 3 years. To this day my spelling is awful and I cringe whenever I have to read out loud. :lol:

Hey, thanks for reading my gripes. No couch here, just one room, one hopelessly unconscious roommate, and my shiny marble bed :lol:

Interesting you say that that's the first time you've heard me talk about what I miss. It's not something new to me, i.e. I've always been struck by thoughts of things I miss. Maybe I never mentioned it as directly. But yes, I absolutely miss those things.

I think it's easy for everyone to be a spiritual guru when they have a solid roof over their heads, food on their plates, a spouse, and a few children. The real test, in my opinion, is when the chips are really down. I'm not saying that my situation is the worst possible one; of course, it could be much worse. But, looking at averages, I'm far far below the average, in terms of "quality of life". I think my situation would test most people.

Job is not possible; I just can't go back out there. That is probably why I'm relatively peaceful ... i.e., I am fully aware that I caused my current life situation, so I can't blame an earthquake or divorce or a business partner. I am 100% responsible for this mess.

That's gotta be tough - what happened to you in school. I can't imagine moving around like that. Plus other kids making fun of you. Well, for what it's worth, your spelling is pretty much perfect. What happened to you isn't revealing itself on this forum.

Earlier today, I thought of you and thought it would be nice to sit down with you for coffee and talk. I think we would have a blast !
painBody

Postby painBody » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am

I'm a member of an online forum for Mac(intosh) programmers and enthusiasts. I frequently see people complaining about the littlest things and it cracks me up.

One of my favorites is when someone complains about not being able to upgrade their operating system from 10.12.5 to 10.12.6 (which basically means ... a very tiny/insignificant system update, even in the computer world). Earth shattering problem :lol:

There was one thread like "YOU NEED TO UPGRADE TO 10.12.6 NOW !". I had to restrain my fingers to not click "Post reply" and start typing, "Dude, try feeling your inner body ..." :lol:
painBody

Postby dijmart » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi PB,

No couch here, just one room, one hopelessly unconscious roommate, and my shiny marble bed :lol:

Ugh, not going to lie, sounds dreadful.

But, looking at averages, I'm far far below the average, in terms of "quality of life". I think my situation would test most people.

Yep! My bio mom has been (in the streets) homeless twice in her life. Lived in deplorable living conditions many times with fleas and cockroaches. Yuk! She's an alcoholic, so that was generally the reason.

Job is not possible; I just can't go back out there.

Not even at a small mom and pop business doing general labor or something (stress free)? Anyways, not my business, just wondering.

Plus other kids making fun of you. Well, for what it's worth, your spelling is pretty much perfect. What happened to you isn't revealing itself on this forum.

Funny thing is other kids didn't make fun of me, but asshole adults did...go figure. I use spell check quite frequently or look up on google :lol: I often sense I'm not spelling a word correctly.

Earlier today, I thought of you and thought it would be nice to sit down with you for coffee and talk. I think we would have a blast !

I don't drink coffee, so how about we go to a park and feed the ducks some canned green beans (that's what they really like). Yeah, we'd have some good conversation for sure!

I had to restrain my fingers to not click "Post reply" and start typing, "Dude, try feeling your inner body ..." :lol:

:lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby runstrails » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

Pb wrote in the Freight Train thread:
Pb wrote: 'm not looking for employment. In fact, the demand in my field is through the roof and worldwide. But, I decided a long time ago that I couldn't do the corporate madness anymore (or any kind of money-making madness).

Hi Pb,

You remind me of Arjuna in the Bhagvad Gita :D. He was a noble prince caught up in a civil war that he could not imagine fighting. He was very brave but he did not want to fight a battle where he would have to face endless moral decisions--incuding killing his own kin. He wanted to run away from it all.

It is one of my favorite spiritual texts because it is set in a battlefield which symbolizes the battles that we all face with samsara (everyday conflicts, egos, corporate madness, relationships, what have you).

Arjuna had the good fortune to have Krishna as his charioteer (more symbolism there) who reveals to him his true nature . Arjuna is a typical seeker and at first does not understand what his true nature is or how knowing his true nature actually solves his problems in the material world. Krishna then gives him the weapons he needs to fight the battle field of samsara. These are karma yoga, upasana yoga, jnana yoga and bhakti.

It's a beautiful book because it provides not only a clear and precise revelation of our true self but it also provides a framework for how to live our 'little me' lives so that we can actually fulfill our role in the world while enjoying ourselves as we truly are.

It's important to get the right advaitic translation (since its used also heavily by dualistic schools). I love the translation by Swami Dayananda.

Anyway, like Arjuna, I hope you come out fighting the good fight and win (in the truest sense of the word). You have so much to contribute :D.

rt
runstrails

Postby painBody » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 am

runstrails wrote:
Pb wrote in the Freight Train thread:
Pb wrote: 'm not looking for employment. In fact, the demand in my field is through the roof and worldwide. But, I decided a long time ago that I couldn't do the corporate madness anymore (or any kind of money-making madness).

Hi Pb,

You remind me of Arjuna in the Bhagvad Gita :D. He was a noble prince caught up in a civil war that he could not imagine fighting. He was very brave but he did not want to fight a battle where he would have to face endless moral decisions--incuding killing his own kin. He wanted to run away from it all.

It is one of my favorite spiritual texts because it is set in a battlefield which symbolizes the battles that we all face with samsara (everyday conflicts, egos, corporate madness, relationships, what have you).

Arjuna had the good fortune to have Krishna as his charioteer (more symbolism there) who reveals to him his true nature . Arjuna is a typical seeker and at first does not understand what his true nature is or how knowing his true nature actually solves his problems in the material world. Krishna then gives him the weapons he needs to fight the battle field of samsara. These are karma yoga, upasana yoga, jnana yoga and bhakti.

It's a beautiful book because it provides not only a clear and precise revelation of our true self but it also provides a framework for how to live our 'little me' lives so that we can actually fulfill our role in the world while enjoying ourselves as we truly are.

It's important to get the right advaitic translation (since its used also heavily by dualistic schools). I love the translation by Swami Dayananda.

Anyway, like Arjuna, I hope you come out fighting the good fight and win (in the truest sense of the word). You have so much to contribute :D.

rt

Wow, they don't have a word in the English language to describe my feeling after reading this, but thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful post ! You made my (otherwise tumultuous) day :) I don't know if I'm akin to Arjuna, but I'd describe myself as a mixture of jaded, beaten down, damaged, indifferent, and lost ... on the outside. On the inside, I know that this is the only path possible. Not to blow my own horn, but I'm curious what you see in me that makes you think I have a lot to contribute.

Growing up in India, I was somewhat exposed to the Bhagavad Gita, but not nearly as much as you, and only because a piece of scripture was hung on our front door. It was in Hindi (Indian national language, and a derivative of Sanskrit). I think you might like it. I'm writing it here in a phonetic form, because I haven't written in Hindi since my school days, and trying to type it on an English keyboard is ... :shock:

"Jo hua accha hua, Jo ho raha hai, woh accha ho raha hai, Jo hoga, woh bhi accha hi hoga".
Translation: Whatever happened, happened for the best. Whatever is happening, is happening for the best. Whatever will happen, will happen for the best.

You've reached out to me and touched me, and now, I'm curious about your path. Anything you can share, I would like to read. What brought you to this point ?

Hugs from afar,
Kartik
painBody

Postby painBody » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:05 am

dijmart wrote:Hi PB,
how about we go to a park and feed the ducks some canned green beans (that's what they really like). Yeah, we'd have some good conversation for sure!
:lol:

That sounds so nice right now ! :)
painBody

Previous

Return to Personal Experiences