Who I am?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)

Who I am?

Postby DJAbacus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:30 pm

You are who you are, or indeed you identify yourself as someone who has developed over time based mainly on past experiences good and bad. The things you say,do are affected by what has happened in the past, and what we think will happen in the future. So it's a frightening idea to let go of the past and the future and live in the present. Are we still affected by our past even though we don't think about it? Will be become a completely different person almost unrecognisable by our friends? Do we lose all that we have become? There's a fear you would become a joyful empty shell with nothing to say or contribute.I am a father of 3. Will I become so joyful that it becomes unnecessary to take care of them or will it make me a better person?

Thanks for taking time to read this.
DJAbacus

Re: Who I am?

Postby rachMiel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm

DJAbacus wrote:YI am a father of 3. Will I become so joyful that it becomes unnecessary to take care of them or will it make me a better person?

Becoming clearer about what's what ... more aware and awake ... increases kindness and compassion. So I'd guess you'd take even better care of your kids, along with your self, other humans, animals, plants, rocks, "the world." The way you take care might change, drawing its energy less from attachment and more from a sense of communion/unity.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Re: Who I am?

Postby dijmart » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 am

Hi,

you identify yourself as someone who has developed over time based mainly on past experiences good and bad.

That's the whole problem, "wrong identity".

So it's a frightening idea to let go of the past and the future and live in the present.

Consider that the one that "seems" to be frightened is a false-self. All there truly is, is the present. Even if you have thoughts of past/future it only ever happens now. The false-self can only survive in thought, feelings, ect that are deemed to be "mine". My thoughts, my feelings, my sensations....plus, thinking of "me" in the past and a "me" in the future, ad nauseum! If you drop this pattern of identification the body/mind apparent person doesn't go up in a puff of smoke. You just see/realize it's not you, never was. What you are is what "sees", who you think you are.

Are we still affected by our past even though we don't think about it?

Not sure what you mean exactly, but imo, you dont erase years and years of conditioning that has created your personality, sense of humor, ect. You just see through it. So, if you were an ass prior, you may still be one or you may not, who knows..lol.

Will be become a completely different person almost unrecognisable by our friends? Do we lose all that we have become?

Uh, no. Remember, you are "thinking" you are DJ. You are NOT. You are wrongly identified with the body/mind, as you. :wink:

Good questions :D
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to Questions