Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' (warning: disturbing content)

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' (warning: disturbing content)

Postby Peath » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:50 pm

Has anyone read this terrifying short story? There's a concept in it that pertains to Presence and I wonder if anyone had any thoughts about it.

In the story, which is set in the future, a family are going on holiday to Mars via teleportation. The father tells the child that you must be gassed unconscious during the instantaneous teleportation, or you'll go mad, and tells various stories of mice that went viciously insane and died during early experiments of the technology - but were fine so long as they travelled unconsciously.

Curious, the boy holds his breath and doesn't inhale the gas. When he emerges from the other end, he tears out his own eyes cackling 'longer than you think, Dad, longer than you think!'

We learn that if you 'jaunt' consciously, your mind is suspended in NOTHING for billions of years. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of a hell that would be - alone and with no external content of any kind, your mind would surely devour itself before the first decade.

Worse - the story tells of an occasion when a scientist threw his adulterous wife into the teleporter with no exit door - meaning her consciousness will remain alone, in nothing, for eternity. Even after existence has long since vanished.

Traumatised by this concept, I wondered if the only way to minimise suffering in such a predicament, would be to find Presence, and exist in a state of pure thoughtless being. Would the mind simply collapse, leaving 'you' in such a state inevitably? Can this horror ironically teach us something about Presence?

Thoughts welcome, and apologies for the nightmares.
Last edited by Peath on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peath

Re: Stephen King's 'The Jaunt' (warning: disturbing content)

Postby dijmart » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:20 am

Hi Peath,

Has anyone read this terrifying short story?

I read it today! Wow!

When he emerges from the other end, he tears out his own eyes cackling 'longer than you think, Dad, longer than you think!'

Did you notice how they refer to him as "it" ? I found that odd. I get him saying, "longer than you think", but I don't get the clawing at his eyes. It must be symbolic or something.

your mind is suspended in NOTHING for billions of years. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of a hell that would be - alone and with no external content of any kind, your mind would surely devour itself before the first decade.

Yeah, spooky.

Traumatised by this concept, I wondered if the only way to minimise suffering in such a predicament, would be to find Presence, and exist in a state of pure thoughtless being.

Well, hopefully with no content, but the mind, one would realize they are not this object called, "the mind". It would take awhile for the mind (thought) to stop freaking out though I'd say.

and apologies for the nightmares.

Lol, I don't dream or don't recall them, for many years now, so no problem. :wink:

However, it is a "mind" f*ck! :lol:
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Peath » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:22 am

I'm glad you enjoyed the story and that it got you thinking without disturbing you too much. I think the boy claws out his own eyes because eons of no stimulus then suddenly barraged with a myriad of visual information is too painful to endure.

He's a lucky one though - that poor scientist's wife will never know the peace of death :shock:
Peath

Postby dijmart » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:50 am

and that it got you thinking without disturbing you too much.

It reminds me of when your watching an outer space movie and some astronaut usually (it seems) gets pushed out into space, alone (with nothing but their thoughts)...difference is something would kill them eventually vs. this "jaunt" mind suspension!

I think the boy claws out his own eyes because eons of no stimulus then suddenly barraged with a myriad of visual information is too painful to endure.

Probably so.... :shock:

He's a lucky one though - that poor scientist's wife will never know the peace of death :shock:

Yikes, true!
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Mystic » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:23 am

Peath wrote:
We learn that if you 'jaunt' consciously, your mind is suspended in NOTHING for billions of years. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of a hell that would be - alone and with no external content of any kind, your mind would surely devour itself before the first decade.

Worse - the story tells of an occasion when a scientist threw his adulterous wife into the teleporter with no exit door - meaning her consciousness will remain alone, in nothing, for eternity. Even after existence has long since vanished.

Traumatised by this concept, I wondered if the only way to minimise suffering in such a predicament, would be to find Presence, and exist in a state of pure thoughtless being. Would the mind simply collapse, leaving 'you' in such a state inevitably? Can this horror ironically teach us something about Presence?

A disembodied brain?(mind?) with no external sensory feedback... :?:

It would create its own(inner) worlds...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank
Mystic

Return to General Discussion