Some music I made a while ago

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Some music I made a while ago

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:52 am

I've been dabbling with electronic music creation (music being the first love of my life and electronica being my fav genre) since my college days. Over the years, I taught myself some music theory and sound synthesis / DSP or digital signal processing (which, given my proclivity for math/science, I find fascinating). Anyway, I thought I'd share my latest (unfinished) music project with y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf9ZX8G1RI

It's from a year and a half ago, and it's called "Nebular Dust". It's not trivial to explain why I call it that, but if you choose to check it out, a detailed description of the production of this song is on the YouTube page.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome :D
painBody

Re: Some music I made a while ago

Postby Rob X » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:57 pm

painBody wrote:I've been dabbling with electronic music creation (music being the first love of my life and electronica being my fav genre) since my college days. Over the years, I taught myself some music theory and sound synthesis / DSP or digital signal processing (which, given my proclivity for math/science, I find fascinating). Anyway, I thought I'd share my latest (unfinished) music project with y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf9ZX8G1RI

It's from a year and a half ago, and it's called "Nebular Dust". It's not trivial to explain why I call it that, but if you choose to check it out, a detailed description of the production of this song is on the YouTube page.

Any thoughts/feedback welcome :D

Hi PB. Good work. I hear shades of the Orb, Little Fluffy Clouds. My immediate thought is that it could have been longer - perhaps with a bit of a breakdown before going back into the main theme. (Like I would know. :D )
Rob X

Postby painBody » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Rob X wrote:Hi PB. Good work. I hear shades of the Orb, Little Fluffy Clouds. My immediate thought is that it could have been longer - perhaps with a bit of a breakdown before going back into the main theme. (Like I would know. :D )

Hey Rob, thanks for the feedback !

Yes, that project remains unfinished. But, you are exactly right about what I would have done to the song if I were still able to work on it - made it longer, with a breakdown before returning to the main melody. That is exactly what I would have done.

Thanks for listening :D Will have to check out Orb and Little Fluffy Clouds !
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:47 pm

I don't know anything about making music per say, but I listened to it and liked it! The visual effects were cool too. So you did this with a computer program?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:18 pm

dijmart wrote:I don't know anything about making music per say, but I listened to it and liked it! The visual effects were cool too. So you did this with a computer program?

Thanks ! Glad you liked it.

Yup, I did it with a computer program, and used a physical synthesizer (which looks like a musical keyboard, with knobs to control the sound) to produce some of the effects. The visual is just an animation I found online that I synced with the music.

Wish I could have finished it, but I no longer have access to that software :(
painBody

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 pm

Rob X wrote:Hi PB. Good work. I hear shades of the Orb, Little Fluffy Clouds. My immediate thought is that it could have been longer - perhaps with a bit of a breakdown before going back into the main theme. (Like I would know. :D )

Rob, I listened to The Orb yesterday (for the first time), and you're right ! My main melody does sound like the one in that song. What a co-incidence, haha :)

Cool song, that one. Thanks for sharing it with me.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 am

Wish I could have finished it, but I no longer have access to that software

Ohh, that's a bummer! :(
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Return to General Discussion