Should I take care of my body?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Should I take care of my body?

Postby mue114 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 am

If I am not my body then what difference does it make to improve it through healthy lifestyle in fitness centers or ruin it by enjoying parties, festivals? I'm really interested in spirituality but I enjoy chatting in pub, getting drunk, having party, smoking, eating pizza MORE than doing yoga and sport or eating healthy food. But does it make any difference after all? Is that "important" to make my body live longer?
mue114

Re: Should I take care of my body?

Postby Rob X » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:05 pm

mue114 wrote:If I am not my body then what difference does it make to improve it through healthy lifestyle in fitness centers or ruin it by enjoying parties, festivals? I'm really interested in spirituality but I enjoy chatting in pub, getting drunk, having party, smoking, eating pizza MORE than doing yoga and sport or eating healthy food. But does it make any difference after all? Is that "important" to make my body live longer?

Hi mue114

Do whatever you’re inclined to do (you will anyway.) It makes no difference to your true nature whether you’re a fitness freak or a slob. It can, however, make a difference to the felt-sense realisation of your true nature. If you are drunk or high or unconscious or hung over or exhausted or addicted or whatever then your mind will find it all the more difficult to attend to the actuality of the moment and will be more likely to fall prey to default unconscious patterns. It might sound boring but moderation is the key.
Rob X

Postby painBody » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 pm

This is an important question to ponder, and one that, strangely, has not been discussed much here before, to my knowledge.

Yes, you're right - ultimately, in the big picture, it makes no difference, whether or not your body is healthy or how long you live.

My short answer is - do whatever feels natural to you, whatever makes you "happy". Allow me to share a bit about myself, to illustrate what I mean.

I, myself, in a past life, was a fitness super-freak ... 7 days at the gym, most days in the pool, weekends hiking, 3 days of martial arts, and surgically healthful eating ... I was actually studying to become a fitness trainer. In fact, fitness/exercise was the love of my life, and it went far beyond the physical dimension to me. We all know what a huge impact vigorous exercise can have on the mind and on self-esteem, and how it can mitigate anxiety/depression and insomnia. For me, it also went into the spiritual dimension, because I felt connected to my inner self when I lifted weights or swam. But ironically, when I got injured and couldn't exercise for a while, my natural tendency was to binge eat, and trust me, I LOVE to eat. I am also partial to alcohol.

The point is ... when I was able to exercise, exercise was what made me happiest. And, when I wasn't able to exercise, eating and drinking was what made me happiest. And, I have no regrets about any of it.

That said, if eating, drinking, and partying are what you enjoy most, who is anyone to tell you otherwise ? Maybe someday, you will have had enough of partying and indulging and it will not make you happy anymore. Then, you will naturally be pushed towards a healthier lifestyle. I always believe that the best changes for oneself come from within, from a self-realization that the change is necessary. In other words, I'm much more likely to have faith in and successfully adopt a change that comes from my own deepest recesses, rather than a change recommended by a friend or someone on TV. I'm not going to diet just because someone tells me it's good to do so; I want my mind and body to tell me that I need to start dieting ... only then will I really want to do it. So, I'm suggesting that you listen to your own mind and body and let them guide you.

When I'm on my deathbed and looking back at all that time, I'd much rather recall having enjoyed it doing something I loved, than regret doing something other people told me I should be doing but that I didn't enjoy. Prolonging one's life is overrated, if you ask me. Know what I mean ?
painBody

Postby mue114 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:09 am

I know what you mean. :) And I agree.

Some more additional info about my social life:
When I'm sober with my friends I got bored about topics (football, politics, etc). Some years ago I had the strongest voice in a party, telling jokes, etc.
If the topic is interesting still I just prefer listening, and I dont feel like to share any opinion.

When I'm drunk I feel much more opened and honest. I feel like to talk to anyone, even to strangers in a pub. I dont feel dumb, I feel much more aware. Thats why I like to drink: it makes me want to connect to other people, listen to them and share my opinion.

Tried so many times to be opened to conversations when I'm sober, but it just never worked. Others said when I was sober I was a boring person and that and I cant argue with them (just sitting, listening, not talking).

Summary: I cant experience openness while I'm sober so I find the way to drink. Is that a problem or a malfunction? Are you sure it is? :))
mue114

Postby turiya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:56 am

Others said when I was sober I was a boring person and that and I cant argue with them (just sitting, listening, not talking).

Hmm. I can relate. I've always been an abnormally quiet person... according to other people.( According to me, almost everyone else is abnormally talkative. :wink: )

I had a friend who told me once that when I was drunk I acted "normal"... I never got drunk again after that. :lol:
"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is - infinite." -William Blake
turiya

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 pm

mue114 wrote:If I am not my body then what difference does it make to improve it through healthy lifestyle in fitness centers or ruin it by enjoying parties, festivals? I'm really interested in spirituality but I enjoy chatting in pub, getting drunk, having party, smoking, eating pizza MORE than doing yoga and sport or eating healthy food. But does it make any difference after all? Is that "important" to make my body live longer?

While it's true that you are not your body, it is also true that your body is a primary factor in your life experience. Do you want to have the experience of a poorly maintained and damaged body, causing your attention to be focused on physical dysfunction? Or would you prefer to have greater options on what the world has to offer with a healthy form capable of far greater interaction? Either is a valid experience. Which would you prefer?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Onceler » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:07 am

Yes, take care of your body. This isn’t some magical realm where you can do whatever you want without consequences
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby Mystic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:11 am

Yes, the soul has a body, a body does not have the soul.

The body serves an important function in this realm of physical existence though.

It takes much mental training to become masters over our body and ego.

The Dalai Lama said that enlightenment is hard work :D
Mystic

Return to General Discussion