My verdict on this whole thing

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Re: My verdict on this whole thing

Postby dijmart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:06 am

painBody wrote:
Hey Dij,

In my past life, I was studying to become an NASM trainer, and trained quite a few friends/relatives/coworkers in weight loss - both training and nutrition.

I can help you come up with an exercise regimen / meal plan. PM me about it, if you want.

Sure, we can chat about it in PM. Ill just say here, in case anyones interested, that I've used Julian Michaels 30 day shred and ripped in 30 in the past. It worked wonders, but that's been a while. The next time, I went to a gym (I've let that membership lapse), honestly I had better results from the video tape! Probably because I need someone yelling at me.. :lol:

Ok, enough of that...
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:30 am

Ok, I can't help it. Sorry. Just a few pennies.

1 - Pay attention to the Glycemic Index (GI) of the Carbs you eat, which ranges from 0 (Good) to 100 (Bad). Not all Carbs are equal. Many GI tables are available online. Examples: Low GI: Broccoli, Lettuce, Red Peppers. High GI - White/wheat flour products, Cornflakes, sodas. Medium GI - Baked potatoes, brown rice. Low = Good, High = Bad

2 - Minimize added salt; most foods naturally contain trace amounts of sodium, magnesium, and other electrolytes (which you need).

3 - Similarly to Carbs, not all fats were created equally. Unsaturated fats (except Trans fats) = Good, Saturated fats = Bad. Good = Avocadoes, Salmon, Flax seeds, natural nut butters, raw unsalted nuts. Bad = Fatty cuts of red meats, sour cream, ice cream, McDonalds or other fast foods. Contrary to popular belief, egg yolks are totally ok to have, provided you do not have high cholesterol (refer to your blood work results). The debate is still ongoing, but in the meantime, consider this - I've been eating roughly 2 to 8 eggs per day since the age of 16, and I'm ticking like a Swiss clock. Eggs are a fantastic healthful and easy-to-digest food for any and all.

4 - Fats give you more calories per gram than Carbs or Protein (9 vs 4), so eat smaller portions of Fat than you would of Carbs or Proteins. Your body needs fats, just keep the portions small.

5 - The more active you are, the more Protein you need, for muscle repair from damage done during any exertion (even sitting is technically an exertion ... i.e. muscle contraction). For most average people, around 50 gm protein is a good amount to have daily. If you exercise hard, that number is closer to 100 gm or more.

6 - Weight loss is absolutely a numbers game. To lose 1 lb a week, you need a calorie deficit of 500 cal per day, which means 3500 cal / week.

7 - For long term weight loss and fitness, your real goal is to raise your resting metabolism. How ? Gain muscle, shed fat, eat often, exercise often. A muscular person burns a ton more fat just sitting down or standing than someone with less muscle. (because, even when you sit or stand, your huge quadriceps muscles are contracted). Metabolism in dummies terms = your body's ability to take that tire from around your waist (or other places) and convert it to energy quickly and efficiently to do work (i.e. physical exertion).

8 - The gym can be a battle for many, but the far bigger battle is in the kitchen. You results will depend on how badly you want them.

9 - Choose a form of exercise that you enjoy. You will not keep up an activity that you hate.

10 - High intensity exercises (exercises that raise your heart rate a fair bit above resting/normal) are preferable for weight loss. Walking is NOT an effective exercise for weight loss, but it is more effective than shining the leather couch with your buttocks, i.e. it is better than nothing.

There is nothing better for weight loss and overall fitness than lifting weights (or any equivalent form of exercise, like moving boxes around a warehouse). Sorry, nothing else even comes close. Weights/resistance >>> Swimming/biking/running > Walking outdoors > Treadmill walking with TV on > Couch. And, if you think that weight lifting does not also involve cardiovascular training, you haven't done any real weight lifting :)

Your Bible for nutrition reference data: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Your Bible for resistance training resources/demonstrations (if so inclined): http://bodybuilding.com/
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:19 am

Thanks for the reminders and tips, PB. The worst part is getting started, uhh, I remember that very well. Almost as bad, not quite, as quiting nicotine. As Onceler said though, once you're a couple weeks into it the diet it gets better. I remember the cravings go away, mostly.

As a side note, just interesting trivia,..maybe? My HDL cholesterol (which is the good one) is insanely high. It's hilarious, because every year it goes up. Last year it was 120, the year before 110 and so on. The top range for that lab was 50 or 60. My overall cholesterol last year was almost 300, but since my HDL is so high, for no reason, they said I don't need meds.
dijmart

Postby turiya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:14 am

It's a by product of resolving, deeply seeing and feeling who you are. I believe that once you have made contact with your deepest identity, fear is gone and presence happens naturally, peace happens naturally, and stillness happens naturally. The mind is no longer neurotic, seeking salvation or distraction. Ones thinking is clear and efficient as the mind heals. -Onceler

Yes! Beautifully put! :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei
turiya

Postby Onceler » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Shut up, PB, I'm blushing! In reality, perhaps the conciseness is mine but the ideas aren't. I've borrowed heavily from many others, mostly Sherman, but others too. The idea that presence is secondary to another, more fundamental realization is definitely not mine, but it rings so true with my experience. This distillation of many ideas have been filtered thru my nervous system, so they are what works for me......also all this is a work in progress. I am not the same person I was five years ago, the suffering and agony of that person is a distant memory. I won't be this person in five years, hopefully. Try Sherman's looking technique if you haven't. It literally takes only several minutes and no investment of beliefs or practice. Don't expect instant results, this thing has a life of its own and things get interesting to say the least.

https://www.justonelook.org/index2.html

I think you're a great writer and I like your raw/eloquent style. I've brushed up against stevia, but don't use it. I'm happy with fruit, figs, dates, and the occasional Lara bar for sweetness. (My little fig tree is bearing one or two figs a day now).
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Postby dijmart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Shut up, PB, I'm blushing!

Awe!! :lol: Thats cute!

I think you're a great writer and I like your raw/eloquent style.

PB is a great writer I've noticed that also.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Onceler wrote:Shut up, PB, I'm blushing! In reality, perhaps the conciseness is mine but the ideas aren't. I've borrowed heavily from many others, mostly Sherman, but others too. The idea that presence is secondary to another, more fundamental realization is definitely not mine, but it rings so true with my experience. This distillation of many ideas have been filtered thru my nervous system, so they are what works for me......also all this is a work in progress. I am not the same person I was five years ago, the suffering and agony of that person is a distant memory. I won't be this person in five years, hopefully. Try Sherman's looking technique if you haven't. It literally takes only several minutes and no investment of beliefs or practice. Don't expect instant results, this thing has a life of its own and things get interesting to say the least.

https://www.justonelook.org/index2.html

I think you're a great writer and I like your raw/eloquent style. I've brushed up against stevia, but don't use it. I'm happy with fruit, figs, dates, and the occasional Lara bar for sweetness. (My little fig tree is bearing one or two figs a day now).

(LOL, ok. But, if you saw the post by turiya, I'm not the only one who needs to shut up :lol: ) And thanks, I have no trouble telling it like I see it.

I definitely liked your conciseness, but I think I was also responding to the realization that what you were saying is absolutely spot on, in my experience. And, I think that the format in which you put it is, to me, personally, more helpful than ET's format. Like with any material, the presentation is very important in reaching your target audience, and I think this Sherman/Onceler format reaches me more easily.

ET says, "You are only ready for presence if you have suffered enough." I think this statement is vague and can be misleading to "seekers". How much suffering is "enough" ? By whose scale of measurement ? Everyone firmly believes that their suffering is more than enough, so is everyone ready for it ?

I think that, the way ET puts it, advertises presence as a "primary pursuit" (your words) and causes people to approach it that way ("You will be ready for it someday"). But, the Sherman/Onceler format brings far more clarity to the notion of presence and doesn't glorify it the way ET does. I think ET glorifies the word/idea of "presence", and presents it as being paramount, perhaps because it puts food on his table and takes his ass around the world, in first class. Presence is his mantra, his selling point, his everything.

Seeing presence as 1 - secondary, but also 2 - a side effect, is what, I think, gave me that clarity and made me go, "Aha ! Yes !". That is a profound observation/realization. I think that a lot of people chase after presence through meditation or other mechanisms, without the deeper foundation being laid - i.e., the realization of true self. And so, that state of presence that is attained (if it is actually ever attained) in that way seems shallow and contrived. It's almost like people are trying to reach a state that they heard someone else say is a good state to be in, without ever realizing what it's really about, deep down. That's also why meditation never appealed to me - I think I always saw presence as a (secondary) side effect and not as a primary pursuit, but never more clearly than when I read Sherman/Onceler. I think I always knew that life is the meditation, and that something far more important had to occur first.

And yes, I've been meaning to look up John Sherman ever since you first mentioned him to me. Perhaps I keep putting it off because you keep dropping these Golden nuggets of wisdom here and I feel like I don't have to anymore :lol:
Last edited by painBody on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
painBody

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:27 pm

dijmart wrote:
Shut up, PB, I'm blushing!

Awe!! :lol: Thats cute!

I think you're a great writer and I like your raw/eloquent style.

PB is a great writer I've noticed that also.

:D
painBody

Postby turiya » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:26 am

(LOL, ok. But, if you saw the post by turiya, I'm not the only one who needs to shut up :lol: ) -PB

:D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei
turiya

Postby turiya » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 am

Maybe I'm alone on this one, but I really resonate with Mooji's words in this video:

https://youtu.be/MvB2NqKPBxw

(But, as with any teaching, if it's not your cup of tea... don't drink it. :wink: )
turiya

Postby Mystic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:54 am

Onceler wrote:Thanks for your reply mystic. My growing sanity has led me to a plant based whole foods diet as well.....the healing comes in many ways and forms. Our bodies and minds are miracles and can be quite dynamic given the right attention. It's a gift to be human, no?

Indeed, life is a miracle. We are all connected.
Mystic

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 am

Some additional thoughts ...

Am I much wiser now than pre-Eckharthood ? Yes.

Is it because I've spent the last few years sitting under a tree, rubbing my belly, laughing like the fat Buddha, entirely in presence and entirely thoughtless ? No, not at all.

A large part of my perceived wisdom has derived from understanding the way it all works, and that definitely involved the brain, not "thoughtless awareness".

Do I think that life is a gift ? Partly, yes. Here's the other equally true part: "Life's a bitch, and then you die. So, fuck it all and let's get high." - Some wise man I went to college with.
painBody

Postby Mystic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:15 am

painBody wrote:
A large part of my perceived wisdom has derived from understanding the way it all works, and that definitely involved the brain, not "thoughtless awareness".

What is thoughtless awareness?

Stillness is silent knowing. The brain merely articulates what it has learned externally through audio and visual and repeats that like repeating anger, guilt, and anxiety loops.

There is also the flow of true inspiration that the ego-brain tries to articulate but cannot really. Words are merely pointers.

Materialism is a philosophy of death. That is why materialists are unhappy.

I know that there is something greater than my little ego-body self.

Everyone knows this but they can also block this knowledge...
Mystic

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:39 am

Mystic wrote:
painBody wrote:

What is thoughtless awareness?

Stillness is silent knowing. The brain merely articulates what it has learned externally through audio and visual and repeats that like repeating anger, guilt, and anxiety loops.

There is also the flow of true inspiration that the ego-brain tries to articulate but cannot really. Words are merely pointers.

Materialism is a philosophy of death. That is why materialists are unhappy.

I know that there is something greater than my little ego-body self.

Everyone knows this but they can also block this knowledge...

Mystic, I don't mean any disrespect, but those are all just fancy words.

To me, the truth derives from the experience of life, rather than theory. Words are pointers, but without them, we wouldn't be able to communicate. You and I wouldn't be talking at all.

As for materialists, some of those fuckers are euphoric, some are miserable ... all are both euphoric and miserable. It's just how it goes.

In my experience, stillness, when contrived, is knowing ... knowing that I'd rather be doing something else.
painBody

Postby Mystic » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm

painBody wrote:To me, the truth derives from the experience of life, rather than theory. Words are pointers, but without them, we wouldn't be able to communicate. You and I wouldn't be talking at all.

Not all experience derives from sensory perception. Perceptual patterns merely result in inductive reasoning.

If life has no opposite then death does not actually exist.

Constantly seeking distractions is not happiness.

As Eckhart Tolle has said, Joy is within... :D
Mystic

PreviousNext

Return to Personal Experiences