Storm Coming

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Storm Coming

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:05 am

Hi every one. I've been on vacation in Arizona for the last week or so and just got back. It's likely only for this post as I live in Florida and Irma is coming with an attitude. Had to come back to prep the house for the storm. It's very likely that the storm will take out the power for some time, so I'm not sure how long that it will be before I have access again. Wish me luck (as if that has anything to do with it), and I'll check in when I can.

WW
Webwanderer

Re: Storm Coming

Postby turiya » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 am

Best of luck to you, WW!
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei
turiya

Postby painBody » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 am

Good luck, Sir.

Look on the bright side - a great chance to go "off the grid" for a while. Machines can be a pain in the ass, as I'm sure you know.

Are you stocked up on food/water/supplies ? Have they projected its path on land yet ? Is your home in a potential evac zone ?
painBody

Postby dijmart » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Sorry to hear that WW. I have a brother in law, sister in law and nephew in Tampa. They have put hurricane shutters on all windows, sandbags around the house, another layer of sandbags around perimeter of the yard. Precooked several meals and put in individual containers, then froze them. Stocked up on ice, water, pop, batteries, candles, flashlights.

Good luck to you! I wish you well. :(
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby Rob X » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:41 pm

All the best, WW. Positive vibes coming your way.
Rob X

Postby kiki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 am

Stay safe, WW. I have a friend in Sarasota, and he is staying put. He's prepared.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Mystic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 am

May you ride out the storm in safety Webwanderer .
Mystic

Postby dijmart » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:09 am

How did you fair, WW? My family can row a canoe down there street, if they'd like, but since their house and drive way are raised, no flooding in their house.
dijmart

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Well, that wasn't a lot of fun. Lost power for 7 days. Internet till today. Thanks to all concerned. I have some things to do with some minor damage and such, but came through fairly well. Please tell Maria to take a mid Atlantic vacation.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby painBody » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Webwanderer wrote:Well, that wasn't a lot of fun. Lost power for 7 days. Internet till today. Thanks to all concerned. I have some things to do with some minor damage and such, but came through fairly well. Please tell Maria to take a mid Atlantic vacation.

WW

Sucks, dude. Part and parcel of living in that region, though, I suppose. Good to have you back in one piece.

I wonder if the myth about how these storms are named is true. If some scientist is sitting at NOAA, just waiting to spot a storm on satellite, and then names it after his/her ex whom he/she hates. And, it seems that most of the time, it's a guy pissed off at his ex-gf :lol:

"That b**** Maria ... it's payback time !"
painBody

Postby dijmart » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, that wasn't a lot of fun. Lost power for 7 days

:shock: wow, yuck!
dijmart

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:01 am

Sucks, dude. Part and parcel of living in that region, though, I suppose. Good to have you back in one piece.

I wonder if the myth about how these storms are named is true. If some scientist is sitting at NOAA, just waiting to spot a storm on satellite, and then names it after his/her ex whom he/she hates. And, it seems that most of the time, it's a guy pissed off at his ex-gf :lol:

"That b**** Maria ... it's payback time !"

Good to be in one piece. Those names for storms however, are picked long before the hurricane season starts. It got all politically correct a few years back when they added men's names to the list. So it might be that some NOAA tech is out to trigger his/her boyfriend. :wink:

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Webwanderer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:05 am

dijmart wrote:

Of course hurricanes come mostly in the summer when it's hot and humid in Fl. Yuck is an understatement. No earthquakes though. Wishing Mexico the best.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 am

Webwanderer wrote:
dijmart wrote:

No earthquakes though. Wishing Mexico the best.

Don't forget California. We got hit by a 3.6 quake a couple of nights ago (epicenter about 20 mi ESE of here). My roommate felt it and knew it was a quake. I felt something but didn't recognize it as being seismic.

I've felt a few during my time in CA. There was a minor one about 12 years ago ... I was sitting on the toilet seat at night when that one happened :shock: :? I'll never forget it.

Then, there was quite a big one just 5 mi (offshore) from where I lived about 4 years ago ... it was so violent that it woke me up and I started to run for the door (contrary to what they recommend) ... but it stopped before I could get there. It scared the #$%^ outta me.

Then, of course, there's that "big one" that is supposedly overdue ... > 8.0. I just hope that whenever it hits, it pulverizes my neighbor's drum kit.
painBody

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:37 am

Webwanderer wrote:Good to be in one piece. Those names for storms however, are picked long before the hurricane season starts. It got all politically correct a few years back when they added men's names to the list. So it might be that some NOAA tech is out to trigger his/her boyfriend. :wink:

WW

Haha.

How did you manage without light those days ? You have a generator or solar power setup ? Or did you use candles/flashlights ?

As a kid growing up in a place with almost weekly power outages during the monsoon (Mumbai, India), I used to look forward to power outages, esp. at night, coz I got to light candles and I loved the peace and quiet (all TVs in the neighborhood going off). I also remember, vividly, hearing the neighbors' reaction to every outage ... something like "Ohhhhhhhh" or "Aaaaaaaaah" ... imagine hearing 100 people saying that in chorus. And the anger if it happened during the middle of an important cricket game.
painBody

Next

Return to General Discussion