Movies with a spiritual message ?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Re: Movies with a spiritual message ?

Postby anonymousUser » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 am

Spider-man 3 - especially the black Spider-man motive.
anonymousUser

Postby anonymousUser » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm

Naruto Shippuuden.
anonymousUser

Postby painBody » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Last night, I watched the independent movie "Goodbye Solo" (not to be confused with a Korean TV series with the same name). The main theme being suicide (but not portrayed directly), I was naturally curious about and drawn to it for a while, and I was finally able to watch it.

What I gathered from this movie was:

Help and friendship can emerge from the most unlikely places (I also got to experience this personally, on my recent trip to the wilderness). So, keep your heart and mind open to the possibility. On the other hand, sometimes, it just does not matter how much anyone is willing to do for you ... if you feel you're beyond help or simply unwilling to receive it.

Little rare moments of fun/joy are to be taken advantage of and savored, because they'll be gone soon and be replaced by the eternal misery of living on this Earth. So, recognize them when they come your way.

It only matters how you lived, not how long ... the prolonging of life is futile and meaningless, unless it's within a meaningful context. What matters is how you lived while you lived.

If you have 90 minutes to spare, I recommend this movie.
painBody

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:07 pm

painBody wrote:Little rare moments of fun/joy are to be taken advantage of and savored, because they'll be gone soon and be replaced by the eternal misery of living on this Earth. So, recognize them when they come your way.

Eternal misery? I think I must have missed that. At least the eternalness of it. I've had some tough years as most all of us likely have had. And even though there are still some tough times, I see nothing eternal about it. It may by that you are simply in those tough years that often happen in our youth and that in time you will pass through them into a greater appreciation for what this human life has to offer. It's actually quite a lot.

It only matters how you lived, not how long ... the prolonging of life is futile and meaningless, unless it's within a meaningful context. What matters is how you lived while you lived.

I certainly agree with the first part of this comment. The second, not so much. (As an aside, my take is that life doesn't so much have meaning. Whatever meaning life has for us is uniquely applied by each of us individually, and the meaning that we apply directly effects the life experience we have. It is, by and large, a choice.) Life however, does have value. And that value is related to the evolution of our, and the Greater, consciousness and being.

If life was all perfectly roses, what would there be to challenge us to become more than just window dressing on the Essence of Being? It's through difficulties that we grow in the inclusiveness necessary to expand and evolve. Difficulties challenge us to become more through problem solving and perspective shifting, and thereby expanding our awareness of life's potential.

We are each Unique Perspectives within the the Universal Source of of all life and being. That uniqueness gives us our sense of individualism while remaining a part of the Whole. So the value in our suffering is that it is a primary source of our evolution as consciousness. Embracing it would seem to be much more productive in a valuable (and fun) life than railing against it with the assumption that it is futile and useless.

Youth is a tough time as I can readily attest. Seeking honest answers however, rather than accepting resistant assumptions made in moments of pain, will in the long run produce beneficial results.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby painBody » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 am

Webwanderer wrote:Eternal misery? I think I must have missed that. At least the eternalness of it. I've had some tough years as most all of us likely have had. And even though there are still some tough times, I see nothing eternal about it. It may by that you are simply in those tough years that often happen in our youth and that in time you will pass through them into a greater appreciation for what this human life has to offer. It's actually quite a lot.

I'm sure that what you're saying must be true for you and, perhaps even for most others. It just isn't, for me. So, I can't agree.

Thanks for responding.
painBody

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm sure that what you're saying must be true for you and, perhaps even for most others. It just isn't, for me. So, I can't agree.

There is considerable credible information and evidence that life is eternal. That 'physical' life is just a construct of Consciousness and its relationship with vibrating energy. (See the science of quantum physics) Have you considered that, if life is eternal, that we exist fundamentally in a state infinitely larger than this physical world. That we all made a conscious choice for the circumstances in which we were born into? In other words, could you have chosen your circumstances for the very challenges in which you now find yourself? Not because you wanted to punish yourself, but because you had the supreme confidence that you would benefit by the experience?

WW
Webwanderer

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:38 am

Anesthesia (2015)

It's about the lives of multiple people/families intersecting, and about people figuring out what their priorities in life are, i.e. disillusionment.

I'm a huge fan of Kristen Stewart, so it was a natural choice for me, but if you watch nothing else from it, please watch the scene of Kristen's character at her therapist's office, starting at roughly 42 minutes into the movie, and lasting about 3 - 4 minutes. I'd go so far as to say that she summed up my whole entire miserable life in a few sentences.

That, and the last 20 minutes of the film ;)
painBody

Postby dijmart » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:41 pm

painBody wrote:Anesthesia (2015)

It's about the lives of multiple people/families intersecting, and about people figuring out what their priorities in life are, i.e. disillusionment.

I'm a huge fan of Kristen Stewart, so it was a natural choice for me, but if you watch nothing else from it, please watch the scene of Kristen's character at her therapist's office, starting at roughly 42 minutes into the movie, and lasting about 3 - 4 minutes. I'd go so far as to say that she summed up my whole entire miserable life in a few sentences.

Is this the scene- ...?

https://youtu.be/awmCtXzFsJo

I haven't seen the movie, but went on youtube and second clip I watched for this movie was this one.
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby painBody » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:52 pm

dijmart wrote:
painBody wrote:Anesthesia (2015)

Is this the scene- ...?

https://youtu.be/awmCtXzFsJo

I haven't seen the movie, but went on youtube and second clip I watched for this movie was this one.

That is exactly it ! Wow, interesting that you found a clip of that scene.

"I am not for this world" ... that scene sends chills down my spine, because it's like she's talking about me ... she is so sincere and eloquent and so spot on with everything she says. Her intensity in that scene is ... wow.
painBody

Postby dijmart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:18 am

So, help me understand...I'll use her language. She's so lonely. Why? Because, she craves people not engaged with modern society? What's the disconnect..exactly?
dijmart

Postby painBody » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:30 am

dijmart wrote:So, help me understand...I'll use her language. She's so lonely. Why? Because, she craves people not engaged with modern society? What's the disconnect..exactly?

She craves genuine human interaction, not the pseudo-communication that people mistake for real interaction and are so lost in (Farcebook, Shitter, Shitstagram, etc.) that genuine interaction is almost just a thing of the past. She finds that heartbreaking and scary, because, with genuine human interaction no longer a possibility, what's left ? i.e. What are we still doing here ?

Kristen/Sophie: "They pull their devices out for every little thing ..."
Therapist: "Why does that upset you ?"
Kristen/Sophie: "Because what is left ? My God."
painBody

Postby dijmart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:10 am

She craves genuine human interaction, not the pseudo-communication that people mistake for real interaction and are so lost in

Ok, got it. Well, maybe I haven't understood this issue because I don't think I'm "lost" in this modern day technology. I use it, but not to an extreme. I got my first computer when I was 31 and had no cell phone either at the time. I held out as long as I could.

She finds that heartbreaking and scary, because, with genuine human interaction no longer a possibility, what's left ?

Hmm, I see. So, it IS a modern day problem. I guess I don't feel it so acutely, because I'm older..lol. I remember ..prior to technology, but I can see "why" it's a problem.

So, is that what you feel? People are unavailable, because of technology? You can't connect?
dijmart

Postby painBody » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 am

dijmart wrote:Ok, got it. Well, maybe I haven't understood this issue because I don't think I'm "lost" in this modern day technology. I use it, but not to an extreme. I got my first computer when I was 31 and had no cell phone either at the time. I held out as long as I could.

Yes, your age might be your savior. I feel terrible for 5 yr olds these days ... them and their 64GB iPad Pros. :cry: By the time they're 13, eh, forget it ... no discernible smidgen of humanness left.

dijmart wrote:So, is that what you feel? People are unavailable, because of technology? You can't connect?

That is an extreme understatement, but yes :) I actually feel chills in my bones when I think of how cold and disconnected people are ... stuck in their illusions of closeness ... "Look, I have 2000 friends on Farcebook !" "I've got 5000 Likes on my blog !"

Can they not see how foolish that is ? It makes me want to implode my body into nothingness ... seeing what a cesspool this planet has become. It's like these people wouldn't know a baseball bat if it struck them on the head. And, this is the "modern" human ? This is the best they can be ?

Needless to say, it is going to get exponentially worse over time. Get to 2050, and people will be reproducing over the internet ... sending their sperm and eggs over Skype or some shit ... no more candlelit dinners, glasses of wine by the fireplace, camping in the woods (what woods ?!!!), walks on beaches at night, christening the marital bed ... all gone. Replaced by ... I don't even know what to call it.

And, I would really like to not be around for that :)
painBody

Postby dijmart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:53 am

I feel terrible for 5 yr olds these days ... them and their 64GB iPad Pros. :cry: By the time they're 13, eh, forget it ... no discernible smidgen of humanness left.

My son was 9 when we got our first computer, granted it wasn't an IPad, but by the time he was 11-12, he was addicted to video games. So, I see what you're saying. Thankfully, for him, it was a phase, but it did last a couple of years. Now, you can't get him to sit down between- working, working out, working on cars and MMA training. ...he still uses his phone (internet, facebook, instagram, ect), but it doesn't interfere with his life.

That is an extreme understatement, but yes :) I actually feel chills in my bones when I think of how cold and disconnected people are ... stuck in their illusions of closeness ...

Hmm, guess I haven't experienced it the same as you, except when my son wouldn't get off the damn video games...grrr. That was very frustrating. Otherwise, I haven't really been affected or not like you have been. It's interesting, because you were a computer programmer and it seems computers or what they represent, is what's caused your grief.

Get to 2050, and people will be reproducing over the internet ... sending their sperm and eggs over Skype or some shit ...

Ok, I'm sorry, but that's some funny shit right there :lol:

Anyways, you make good points and I see where you're coming from now. I wish it didn't take this long to communicate it, but better late, then never. I still think there's a better answer to this, somehow, then you just not being around. What about the rest of us fools...you just gonna leave us? :)
dijmart

Postby dijmart » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:15 am

Btw, this movie "Anesthesia" is on Showtime On-Demand this Monday, so I'm taping it. I don't know if that's just in my area or not, so thought I'd mention it.
dijmart

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion