Gateways to Now

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
joe

Gateways to Now

Post by joe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:10 am

Which of the gateways to now do you all use and do you find some work better than others. Why?

rachMiel

Re: Gateways to Now

Post by rachMiel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 am

Bodily sensations work well for me. I've always been hyperattentive to what's cookin' sensation-wise in my body. A pleasurable touch or intense pain pretty much always trumps thought.

How about you, joe?
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 am

It's pretty much a unique thing for each person; what works for one person won't always work for another - things would be so much simpler if it did.

Things that work for me: noticing when the inner dialogue is present and then dropping attention into my own sense of existence; become totally focused/absorbed in whatever activity I'm doing without attaching any storyline to it (no multitasking) - this is especially effective when doing ordinary things like housework/chores; consciously connecting with my breath, feeling it coming in and feeling it going out (useful as a sit down eyes closed process/meditation - then pay attention to the gaps between the breaths, especially on the exhale, and totally relax into the gap; when outside becoming totally absorbed in simply seeing what's present without naming/labeling anything; while sitting with eyes closed dropping attention into the body; opening attention to one particular sensory experience, and then gradually opening others one by one until there is the sense that you are a totally open being experiencing whatever is appearing to each sensory doorway (this can be done as an eyes closed sit down meditation exercise until you gain proficiency, and then expand the practice with eyes open).
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:23 am

Kiki wrote: It's pretty much a unique thing for each person; what works for one person won't always work for another - things would be so much simpler if it did.
So true!

For me, these days a mantra seems to do the trick. It stops recursive thinking and places the focus on the self (presence).

jukai

Post by jukai » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 am

Deep (conscious) breathing