Inner body and thoughts

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Sakampa

Inner body and thoughts

Post by Sakampa » Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 am

Hello,

My question is as follows:

How should I act when Im rooted in my inner body and I "see" a thought appear? Thoughts are likely to uproot me, and then I lose the NOW if I invest in them to much. So I think its key to return to my Inner Body ASAP after having a thought. But how soon? Im currently juggling between these two below.

Should I just notice the thought superficially and then immediately return to my inner body awareness?

Or should I investigate the thought first, before returning to my inner body?

I notice that words are ambigious here and its hard for me to define things like investigate. I think what the difference between the options is, is that the first method is not interested in the thought and therefore takes less than half a second. Much like a reflex. Thought -> And BAM back to Inner body.

The second method tries to acknowledge the thought more actively and therefore returns to the inner body after a few seconds.

The difference between 1 and 2 is subtle, but im hoping to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks very much in advance!

eputkonen

Re: Inner body and thoughts

Post by eputkonen » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 pm

The attention should be on inner body awareness and the senses (what you see, hear, smell, taste, and feel). There is only so much attention to go around and there is so much to be aware of at any given moment...so if you are 100% devoted to the experience of now, then thought doesn't come up much.

When thoughts do come up, just let them go. Don't pay the mind any mind. If you put your attention and focus on thought, what you get are more thoughts. Thoughts are never about the now...only the past, future, or pure imagination. Don't pay thought any mind. Focus on the experience of now and inner body awareness. Do not resist or try to clear the thought...accept them and immediately let them go. Simply return to the experience of now.

The brain may currently have the habit of excessive thoughts, but it is only trying to help give you want you want. But if you repeatedly ignore thought and attend to just the experience of now, the brain comes up with less and less thought because it is not of interest. However, if you are interested in thought, dwell on them, ponder them...then the brain will bring more thoughts for you to look at.

Make sense?
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Mon May 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Rupert Spira talks about the stream of thoughts (and inner narration, looping song clips, flashing images, emotions, mind noise) as a train. The trick is to not board the train, rather to let it run happily along and do its mind-train thing "on its own." Try it, it might help!
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 am

As always, an excellent reply from eputkonen, and a good reminder by Rupert Spira, courtesy of rachMiel.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sakampa

Post by Sakampa » Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I get what you guys are saying, but I find when I "pay the mind no mind" that I'm sort of ignoring my thoughts. A thought comes in and I instinctively go back to my body. The result could be some form of resistance to the thought, but there might not be, I cant say for sure.

If I'm narrating the process it goes as follows:

Thought -> "No I should be in the inner body" -> And im back a split second later.
So im not investigating nor actively acknowledging the thought. I just dismiss the thought immediately, like dog shaking off the rain.

So I dont look at the thought as a train going by, I notice there is a train in the distance and I look the other way. (towards my innerbody)

Am I doing it too forced or not?

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Wed May 16, 2018 3:34 am

Yes...it is too forced...with too much thought and concern about thought.
In fact, why even bother saying to yourself, "No I should be in the inner body"? You see...you said "no". That is resisting thought. I am not saying to say "no" to anything. Simply let it go and focus on the experience of now. Don't be concerned about thought...instead be curious about how much can be felt and experienced in this moment.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

rachMiel

Post by rachMiel » Wed May 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Am I doing it too forced or not?
Yes, a bit, from your description. But if staying with the inner body is your goal, it sounds like you're on the right track. Try *softening* the transitions from inner body -> thought -> inner body. Don't rush the return from a thought to the inner body by pushing the thought away. Likewise, don't delay the return by grasping at the thought. Find a natural feeling balance.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Sakampa

Post by Sakampa » Fri May 18, 2018 10:58 am

Ok that is helpful, balance is the key I guess when it comes to spiritualism :)
Thanks again!