Worry about the future of humanity

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Jonobonz

Worry about the future of humanity

Post by Jonobonz » Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I apologize if my questions seem negative in nature but it's what I worry about most. When I was younger I delved into the conspiracy theories of govt control and plans. This was very bad for my psychy so I layed that down. When I found Eckhart tolle about 10 years ago, his teachings helped me to let go of the need to know the future. Now, as political agendas seem to be more ruthless and suppressive, I worry about the future for humans. I see how we continue to pillage the earth of its natural resources and how it's effecting the ecological balance that is ever so unstable. The financial sectors of the world seem to ignore the unsustainability of it all.

Again I'm sorry for the heaviness but how can I see these problems with the world and find peace within? How have you been able to find peace in not having power to make the changes that are needed. What advice do you have for me? I recently listened to https://youtu.be/j91ST2gtR44 which reminded me of the addictive nature of my thoughts and has brought me some level of peace. What have you found to bring you peace?

jukai

Re: Worry about the future of humanity

Post by jukai » Wed May 30, 2018 12:27 am

Hi, welcome to the site.

The answer to the question you ask can be found right within your own post. You said, "How have you been able to find peace in not having power to make the changes that are needed."

It is quite simply the fact that I can do nothing to bring about change, that brings me peace. Hell, there are a lot of circumstances in my own life that I have no power over, let alone having power over what happens to the human race. I like to think that we are all just along for the ride in the roller coaster that will take the human race to its violent demise. A few rich and powerful control the roller coaster. We are forced to watch it all unfold in front of us, being able to do diddly about it. It is torture, till you realize your helplessness and surrender to it or just stop caring entirely.

In my particular case, I couldn't care less what happens to the human race once I'm gone or even while I'm around. If you care, then do the little that you can, and leave the rest to the powers that be. Maybe that means being present with the people around you, or signing a petition. Worrying about what you can't control leads nowhere good.

Looking at it from another broader perspective, think about how nature corrects imbalances in itself - through storms and other "disasters". Why do we experience tornadoes and earthquakes ? Because it is the Earth's way of healing itself. If the total destruction of the human race, through their intelligent stupidity, is what it will take for the planet to ultimately get to a better place, then so be it. If the human race cannot be saved, perhaps the Earth can.

Jonobonz

Post by Jonobonz » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 am

Hello jukai,

Thank you for your reply. I know deep down that worrying about things outside my control is futile. I know that whatever happens to us all, we are all in this together. I would like to believe we can turn it around but maybe that's not important either. Maybe just being present with friends and family is most important. Interestingly, people have believed it's the end of the world for thousands of years and yet here we still remain.

turiya

Post by turiya » Wed May 30, 2018 2:04 am

Jonobonz wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm
How have you been able to find peace in not having power to make the changes that are needed.
I have found that the greatest power I have (anyone has) is to go within and discover that therein lies a Peace (that passes all understanding :wink: ). Discovering this Peace has changed how I see and interact with everything and everyone in my life. As a result of this change, everything and everyone I have come into contact with seems to have changed. So, my change seems to affect others... who perhaps then affect others.... who then affect others, etc, etc.... and maybe this sort of domino effect is how the world is changed.

Here's a short Echkart vid I like:

https://youtu.be/R3G7eGTMEW0
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

NuanceOfSuchness

Post by NuanceOfSuchness » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi.

There is no matter in this - 'matter' from the perspective of the cosmos at least and at most. The existence of humans is one of billions of amazing quirks in the grand cosmos. It is truly remarkable that the cosmos can create a sentient being with the capacity to comprehend its creator. Not comprehend using the conventional methods of cognition but an intuitive knowing from the wholeness of the body.

I find that nurturing compassion for those who are lost in mind is fruitful. You are in a very real and authentic place to be able to recognise the trance-like state of humanity. Jukai speaks well of relinquishing the woes that bind us to the cyclic turmoils of this world. If one doesn't step aside, one becomes apart of the cycle of Samara, or the repetition of suffering and misery time and time again.

This doesn't mean isolate yourself. Step aside in mind and see the craziness in the world - you have already done this - and feel compassion for those who are not fortunate to peer from this wonderful perspective. This stance will naturally impart itself upon others.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:24 pm

Jonobonz wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:40 pm
How have you been able to find peace in not having power to make the changes that are needed.
What have you found to bring you peace?
If I have the power to make change, I do what I can...leaving the results to God (so to speak).
If I don't have the power to make change, I don't make myself miserable, worry, or despair about it...it won't help.

Another way to put it is that I accept everything...I am at peace with what is as it is for as long as it is...while doing what I can to make change.
I do not resist or deny what is...I don't make a problem out of it and say "this shouldn't be" when it in fact is.

Peace is found when you stop fighting reality.
Doing what I can to make change is not fighting reality...it is working cooperatively and collaboratively with reality.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged