Practical tips on Practicing Presence

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
healingpresence

Practical tips on Practicing Presence

Post by healingpresence » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Dear all,

I hope you all are doing fine.

My question is about practicing presence. I have read the Power Of Now, Stillness Speaks, The New Earth and also regularly going through various articles and videos on Eckhart. One thing common for sure to all problems and a common theme to each of these videos, articles, books is Presence. Eckhart has mentioned being present as the solution for every single question asked and every single problem that arises with the human mind. Eckhart also says that Presence is not about the Present Moment. It is the field in which the NOW or the present moment happens. It is definitely not about not being in the past or future and in the present because Eckhart is saying that it is never about the content of the present moment but the energy field in which the content arises. I understand all of that. My problem is I cannot experience that Presence, that field, that calmness, that beautiful peaceful feeling. One of the practical techniques is going into the inner body. I've tried this several times but cannot feel that Presence. Please note I do know that Presence cannot be "understood" but can only be experienced. I also do know that the moment we try to analyse/think/feel that Presence it disappears. So then what is it and how do I experience it?

I am really looking for some practical tips on how to practice presence. Any links, videos, articles that literally shows steps to feel the Presence are also welcome. It has been high time for me to bring a stop to all the conceptual things by simply reading books, watching videos etc, instead of literally going into "Presence mode".

Thanks.

turiya

Re: Practical tips on Practicing Presence

Post by turiya » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:58 am

Hi, healingpresence
healingpresence wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm
So then what is it and how do I experience it?
This may be a helpful pointer (... if not, forget about it :wink: ):

The person who experiences being Present or not... who understands "Presence" intellectually or not.... isn't who you really are. The person/experiencer/thinker of thoughts is a temporary form arising in You, the everlasting Presence (who you really are).

Presence (You) are always here... have always been here... will always be here.

The person was born, lives, and will die. Presence is.. well... ever-present. :D

So, it may be a helpful practice to drop all your thoughts of who you think you are as a person (as well as all your thoughts about anything/everything else!) and see what remains.
Last edited by turiya on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 am

Hello healingpresence, and welcome to the community - I suggest you do a search on my older posts, especially from the early years of this community, because many of them are about the nuts and bolts of realizing presence. Click on my name and you will find a page that will have a link to all of my posts.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

turiya

Post by turiya » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 am

Also, this video might be helpful:

(I AM = Presence)

https://youtu.be/cVfMoUq-eU0
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

ThatAwareness

Post by ThatAwareness » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Listen to the silence that underlies all things. Pay attention to the spaces between these words. What is there? When your attention is fully on the quiet between your thoughts, that is presence.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:17 pm

healingpresence wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:37 pm
My problem is I cannot experience that Presence, that field, that calmness, that beautiful peaceful feeling.
Now you are stuck. You have made it some special experience other than what is here and now. And so you are future seeking, not present. You are looking for different content.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
Blog at http://www.EngagedNonduality.com - Insights into Nondualism and Living Awake & Engaged

healingpresence

Post by healingpresence » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 am

ThatAwareness wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:12 pm
Listen to the silence that underlies all things. Pay attention to the spaces between these words. What is there? When your attention is fully on the quiet between your thoughts, that is presence.
Hi ThatAwareness,

Your response is in-line with what I am looking for. I do understand that those are (few of) the places where Presence can be sensed/experienced and those are some of the practical approaches. But my problem is I cannot "Listen to the silence that underlies all things". I simply cannot. I guess if that was so easy then there would have been no issues to anyone in this world. But it is also said that "Presence is inseparable from you, it is always there in you...In fact it is you"...then why am I not able to sense/feel that Presence within. I am very sure that I am not paying attention to the thoughts to the noise in the head. So it is not that my past conditioning of the mind is interfering this practice. Any practical tips on that.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm

healingpresence wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 am
But my problem is I cannot "Listen to the silence that underlies all things". I simply cannot.
If you cannot listen 'to' the silence, then listen 'in' silence. That is listen, or more broadly perceive, in a thought free context. In other words, be aware of what is... without engagement. When thoughts come up, treat them the same as any other sound or observable phenomena. Be an observer without intellectual analysis. You can't likely do this all the time as we often have to engage with people and events, but you can set aside or take frequent moments in thought free observation. Rest in these moments and feel what's there. There is a natural clarity that arises when we enter this quality of awareness.

WW

turiya

Post by turiya » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:56 am

healingpresence wrote:
But it is also said that "Presence is inseparable from you, it is always there in you...In fact it is you"...then why am I not able to sense/feel that Presence within.
Because you have split yourself into two: the "Presence" and the "I" that tries to sense/feel It but is unable to (... or is able to sense/feel It temporarily, but then "loses" it.... but then "finds" it again... then loses.... then finds....etc, etc, ad infinitum).

That "I" (the false you) is just a thought arising in the Presence (the Real You).

(It's "just a thought"... but it's the most powerful, deeply ingrained thought there is.)

ThatAwareness

Post by ThatAwareness » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 am

healingpresence wrote:
I am very sure that I am not paying attention to the thoughts to the noise in the head. So it is not that my past conditioning of the mind is interfering this practice. Any practical tips on that.
Then become aware of the aliveness in your body. Fully feel the tingles and sensations in your hands, arms, all over. If that is too difficult, focus on your breath and the sensations of air passing through your nostrils. Sit with this for as long as you can. This is a strong path to presence.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:38 am

kiki wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 am
Hello healingpresence, and welcome to the community - I suggest you do a search on my older posts, especially from the early years of this community, because many of them are about the nuts and bolts of realizing presence. Click on my name and you will find a page that will have a link to all of my posts.

kiki
It's worthwhile. Or you can search for "thanks kiki" and find among the 750+ results some really nice advice and great pointers.

Here are a few. The last is more specific to inquiring about the ego but seems related.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7154&hilit=simpler+than+you+think "It's Simpler than you think"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5567&p=40298&hilit=kiki#p40293 "Re: Finding Peace at last"

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4485&p=30740&hilit=kiki#p30735 "Re: Ego is Present"

Best,
rg
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:50 am

Continued...

HermitLoon once compiled a bunch of kiki's posts here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6071&hilit=kiki+kuotes

Alas the link is broken because all forms change while the eternal nature in which the forms appear does not. That eternal nature is always present. It is never not present. You are That. There is nothing so much to do but notice. Be as that and notice.

:)
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Placebo

Post by Placebo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:29 am

It seems that you are still stuck in the mind. Watching your thoughts is a definitely a great thing but you must not further inquire into a thought(s). When thoughts come, there isin't always a need to analyze them further because that will just lead to more thoughts, and then before you know it, you can get stuck in the mind momentum and lose your presence.

Of course there are times/situations where deeper thought can be useful or necessary. Most of the time though, it is pointless. For me (and I think for anyone) it is important to just ground yourself into stillness which will gain a momentum, just like how the mind gains a momentum when you get stuck in the thought loops.

If focusing on the body isin't the most helpful portal for you to ground yourself in presence then there are other ways. One way that works for me is just looking around with my eyes and feel the inner body tension or anxious energy without judging it as negative or positive while also not resisting. Allow anything to rise up, but without identifying with anything. This can take practice depending on how identified you are with your mind/separate self and your pain body. I was highly identified with mine. My mind would and still does at times seem to have knee jerk resistance do to this strong identifying with my mind/pain body my whole life. I'm just allowing whatever comes and accept it. A thought can instantly provoke a strong energy throughout my body, especially with anxiety or anger. Never add more thoughts to it. Just think of it as an energy going through you without labeling it as good or bad. Stillness requires no effort and it's so simple, but our mind will try to jump in and create a block but that block is also just a thought.