Anyone recovered from Severe Anxiety?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
Eagle85

Anyone recovered from Severe Anxiety?

Post by Eagle85 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:17 am

Since July I have had severe anxiety. Cant sleep or eat at times. Constantly stressed and believing all this BS my brain is throwing up at me. I haven't had one good day in months. I get so down and depressed. I read the Power of now, but when I try to stay in the now I am still thinking and get depressed and anxious about my current state. Please some advice anyone who has overcome this?

Webwanderer

Re: Anyone recovered from Severe Anxiety?

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:22 pm

You didn't give much detail, but in general, anxiety is built upon fear and judgment. Fear in that what you imagine, in the context you imagine it, may be true. And judgment in that what you imagine, in the way you imagine it, is wrong. Combined, these two thought patterns create anxiety that can linger indefinitely.

Simply being present, if that presence includes such fear and judgment, will not bring the peace you are desiring. You are after all, being present with the conditions you would like to be rid of.

I suggest you be inclusive of what concerns you in a context that makes these, and all such concerns, fuel for growth. In other words, what do these circumstances have to teach you. You may not be able to change the events or conditions themselves, but you can change how you perceive them. Change that perception to something that makes you 'feel' better in the education they offer, and you change your experience of the conditions and of life in general.

This is what the human experience offers - many opportunities towards the growth of consciousness. This is an opportunity for you. Seen as such, much of the anxiety will recede in favor of the life enhancing understanding that is inherent in all our challenges.

Welcome to the forum.

WW

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Thanks so much for the response. To be honest I know where the anxiety stems from but don’t know what it is trying to tell me. I guess I should try to meditate on it. It’s also a dark sadness that comes along with it. Some days I cry all day and think it’s hard to go on. I do think this is a learning period but don’t know how to get to the final destination of peace.

turiya

Post by turiya » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:17 am

Hi Eagle85,

This might be a helpful video for you (it was for me :)):

https://youtu.be/MLAx-bxdkCw

"The knowing is eternal. Stay with that... Everything we have ever longed for - peace, happiness, and love - is shining brightly in the midst of all experience." -Rupert Spira
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

Loffe

Post by Loffe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:18 am

Eagle85 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm
Thanks so much for the response. To be honest I know where the anxiety stems from but don’t know what it is trying to tell me. I guess I should try to meditate on it. It’s also a dark sadness that comes along with it. Some days I cry all day and think it’s hard to go on. I do think this is a learning period but don’t know how to get to the final destination of peace.
I had this dark unexplainable sadness from my early childhood. Even now sometimes I feel it rising but now it's not taking me over anymore. You want to allow it, consciously. Look at it, how it feels? How does it feel in your body? Maybe tension somewhere, pain. Try to observe how it takes over your thinking. If it is too much painful go with your attention to the inner body. Stay with attention in the inner body as long as you can. When you calm down try to allow again this pain. Know that this is only pain and it stops, its ok. Practice this every time you have bad days even try to see bad days as an opportunity to practice and be thankful for it. You don't need to know from where this sadness originates but rather how it arises, how it uses your mind, how it feels. How is more important than why.
Loffe

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:16 pm

I had the same problem.

Just be present the most you can. In the first moments, nothing (apparently) will change. But after a while of being present... Well, you'll see; and you have to "see" with your only "eyes" to understand.

Your mental world is not real. Be present.

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am

Thank you all for responding. I sat and observed my feelings today trying not to judge them. It worked out pretty well. I want to face these feelings and become stronger than ever. Thanks for the video by Rupert Spira it helped a lot. I came kind of excited and encouraged by this journey today.

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Eagle85 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:08 am
Thank you all for responding. I sat and observed my feelings today trying not to judge them. It worked out pretty well. I want to face these feelings and become stronger than ever. Thanks for the video by Rupert Spira it helped a lot. I came kind of excited and encouraged by this journey today.
I'm happy to see that. That is good, my friend. : -)

When you are comfortable, try your best to be present during all the activities of the day as well.

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:04 pm

Hey everyone. Today was quite difficult. Bad thoughts and a feeling of sadness and fear being thrown at me left and right while I tried to observe and accept. It’s scary how my mind is throwing all of this at me. Maybe it gets worse before better.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 am

Eagle85 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:04 pm
Hey everyone. Today was quite difficult. Bad thoughts and a feeling of sadness and fear being thrown at me left and right while I tried to observe and accept. It’s scary how my mind is throwing all of this at me. Maybe it gets worse before better.
I would suggest that you keep this interest in mind as each event in your day unfolds: 'What can I learn from this experience? How can it make me a better person?' Be honest in your curiosity. Make no judgment as to right or wrong, only a cause and effect consideration. You don't even have to conclude an answer. Just the genuine interest will be effective. Over time insight will come and it will make a big difference.

WW

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 am

Thanks web wanderer y’all offer such great insight. Today after my feelings and struggle subsided I try to look at it as growing and my mind trying to hold on to the ego so badly. I struggle with resisting these feelings. The gurus I watch online always talk about accepting these feelings. It’s like my brains natural instinct to view these thoughts and feelings as awful and I don’t want them. I was an addict eight years ago but quit cold turkey. Sometimes I think my mind is programmed to make itself feel better through drugs. But I just don’t know how to let down the fight or the resistance.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 am

Eagle85 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 am
But I just don’t know how to let down the fight or the resistance.
Be curious, while free of judgment. It's not right or wrong, just things happening. And be forever patient. You'll be glad you did.

WW

Eagle85

Post by Eagle85 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 am

Thanks again. Its just when I try to observe and not judge my brain or ego says "you're not doing this right, you can't do this, this isn't going to help, you're never going to get space in your thoughts." Crazy on how strong it is. It keeps doing this. I guess it wants me to give up.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:41 am

Eagle85 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:55 am
Thanks again. Its just when I try to observe and not judge my brain or ego says "you're not doing this right, you can't do this, this isn't going to help, you're never going to get space in your thoughts." Crazy on how strong it is. It keeps doing this. I guess it wants me to give up.
Be curious and observe that too. It's just a different form of the same stuff. What does it have to teach you? You don't have to have an answer, only a genuine interest in how things work.

WW

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:34 pm

All this are normal. Just continue to do what you are doing. :- )

When you have time, see this documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKfhc4eP9To

Pay attention to the prisoners' experiences.

Good luck, my friend.