Awake! Handbook of Awkakening (free ebook) - Kim Katami

tashi108

Awake! Handbook of Awkakening (free ebook) - Kim Katami

Post by tashi108 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 pm

«Awake! Handbook of Awakening» is the first book by the Finnish dharma teacher and author Kim Katami. In the book he presents a simple method which he calls the Two-Part Formula for Awakening (2PF).

When applied correctly the 2PF leads to a permanent shift in the mind, also known as spiritual awakening.

The method has been tested in over 150 cases of guidances where seekers of all kinds of different backgrounds have come to experientially and permanently realise the empty nature of the core sense of «I» by applying it.

As the name suggests, the 2PF consists of two parts:

1. I-less mode:

The first part focuses on scanning the body, allowing tensions to release and noticing the basic spaciousness that is revealed in the place of the former tensions. As the process of releasing tensions goes on, the individual spots of spaciousness will soon connect to a greater sense of spaciousness that pervades the whole field of experience, including the physical body as well as the energetic phenomena of the mind. When the recognition takes place, one simply marinates in this basic space, making notice of the fact that there is no entity there, no «I». After a while it is time to proceed to the next step.

2. I based mode:

The second part is all about studying how the sense of «I» manifests in the physical body. This is done by reaffirming it, mentally or vocally saying «I, I, I» or «me, me, me» with conviction two or three times. After the affirmation, one simply feels what takes place in the body. How does it feel? Do any tension arise? Any contractions? A sense of blocked energy in the body? What arises is the actual bodily manifestation of «I», of the subject. This sensations can then be studied as an object by feeling deeply into it, watching it with curiosity. After a while the tensions dissipate, and one naturally goes back to the first mode.

By alternating these two simple modes over and over, clarity is brought to the nature of the «I»-feeling. This process drains it of its gripping power, until at one point it simply does not arise anymore. When nothing arises after saying the affirmations, it is likely that awakening has happened. If it has, one will experience a subtle sense of peace and clarity, a lightness that pervades the whole field of experience. This sense of peace and clarity is not something extraordinary, in the sense of being flashy and mystical. In fact, it is something most people has experienced in glimpses at one point or another. The difference is that after awakening it does not go away anymore. Habitual thoughts, emotions and feelings will continue to run, but the core sense of «I» that experiences them is gone. Thus, awakening is a permanent shift in the mind.

I came across Katami and this method a little over three years ago and decided to undertake a guidance to awakening with him personally. After having applied the method several times a day for about five days, on one evening the sense of «I» in the head became so strong that I coud not focus on anything else. My whole experiential field imploded into this one spot behind the eyes for what probably lasted only a few second, before I experienced a major energetic release in the head. I wasn't sure what had happened, but when I got up and went to the toilet I noticed that there was a «new» sense of spaciousness to being. All sounds, the wind outside, the urine hitting the water in the toilet, it all seemed so intimate that I had to laugh. Although there are still fluctuations in mood etc. The sense of piece at the core has never gone away, and in fact has only become more embodied with further post-awakening practice.

Because of this, I highly recommend checking out the whole book and trying out the method. In addition to the full instructions that I have presented here, the book also contains many examples of actual dialogues in which people have applied the 2PF and have awakened as a result of it. I know of atleast three cases, which includes that of my girlfriend, where people have awakened through simply reading it.

You can find the book for free here:

http://www.en.openheart.fi/114

May all beings be free!

Sighclone

Re: Awake! Handbook of Awkakening (free ebook) - Kim Katami

Post by Sighclone » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Thanks, tashi and welcome.

I downloaded KK's newer book and am reading it - well-prepared and granular. He has an interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW3Owt9mF0o

Katani's source material is Dzogchen, Tibetan Buddhism. Using a simple technique or reading a book might offer the first bhumi opening...the smallest "hole," if you will. Although permanent, it is the work of the second book ("What's Next - On Post-Awakening Practice") that offers the fully developed experience. KK references another Buddhist teacher Daniel Ingram: http://integrateddaniel.info/book Daniel has been interviewed by Rick Archer here: https://batgap.com/daniel-ingram/ (Kim has not been interviewed on batgap.)

Kim's approach is more jnani than bhakti, with lots of regions, routes and checkpoints. But he has many testimonials, including yours. Although there are many paths, there is only one truth.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

tashi108

Re: Awake! Handbook of Awakening (free ebook) - Kim Katami

Post by tashi108 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks for your reply, Andy.

You raise an important point indeed. Certainly, the initial insight into the emptiness of the core "I" is just the first step. As I am sure you know, the whole bodymind continues to cycle after that, even though the core is punctured. So, in other words the insight has to be extended, if you will, to include the emptiness of all forms; of habitual thoughts, feelings, emotions, as well as the subtle states of dulness and euphoria.

Allthough I am by no means finished with the process, my own experience has been that the initial hole gets bigger with further insight practice, and that there is a series of awakenings, of watershed moments that take place after this initial shift. Experientially, the openness, or emptiness is further embodied in stages of insight, or what Katami refers to as bhumis.

For this process, he mainly teaches tantric insight practices, based in the view of non-meditation, or Dzogchen/Essence Mahamudra. His project is to do with vajrayana, what Daniel Ingram and others have done with classical Buddhism, that is to priorise pragmatism over dogmatism (see Vincent Horn's "The Core Features of Pragmatic Dharma: https://www.pragmaticdharma.training/bl ... tic-dharma)

In practice, that means stripping tantric Buddhism of its cultural baggage, while keeping intact its gems such as Guru Yoga (tuning into the timeless presence of fully enlightened being such as Guru Rinpoche, Babaji, Jesus etc. to explore the enlightened state within ones own bodymind) and Deity Yoga (using archetypes of the enlightened state, such as Avalokitesvara, the Lord of Compassion, to re-awaken the already exisiting perfect qualities of the natural state within the mind of the practitioner).

>Kim's approach is more jnani than bhakti, with lots of regions, routes and checkpoints. But he has many testimonials, including yours. Although there are many paths, there is only one truth.

If by jnani you mean centring around experiential insight into the empty nature of mind, then it is certainly jnani. However, he does teach bhakti, or loving surrender to an enlightened form, or guru as well. The main gurus of Open Heart are Guru Rinpoche; the yogi who historically is said have brought vajrayana to Tibet, and Yeshe Tsogyal; widely considered the mother of Tibetan Buddhism.

And yes, while there are many diverse paths, it is important to keep in mind that we are all in this together in our process of realising the one truth.

Thank you,
Tashi
Last edited by tashi108 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 pm

tashi -

Rick Archer began interviewing spiritual teachers about 15 years ago at batgap.com. He is a friend and I encouraged him to chat with Kim, who had already been recommended.

Thank you for introducing a Finn to the mix!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:10 pm

tashi -

"Doership" can be a sticking point for some traditions. Who is it that experiences the 13 bhumis? Who is it that meditates? Who is it that eats? If the "little me" self is dissolved, who does anything?

Andy

tashi108

Post by tashi108 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Sighclone wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:10 pm
tashi -

"Doership" can be a sticking point for some traditions. Who is it that experiences the 13 bhumis? Who is it that meditates? Who is it that eats? If the "little me" self is dissolved, who does anything?

Andy
That is a good question, Andy. Thank you.

The way I see it, the question of "doership" or "non-doership" is experientially simple in the recognition of the natural state, but harder to grasp conceptually due to the dual nature of concepts and thus language. From my experience the natural state of mind lies beyond both categories of being, involving neither doer, nor non-doer, rather than one or the other. But I don't think it is possible to fully understand the practicalities of this until one has fully realised buddhahood, which I have not.

Therefore, as a pragmatic tool on the spiritual path, I am a fan of the two truths-appraoch. This is also the basis from where Katami teaches. The power of the two-truths model, is that it recognises our relative differences; our personalities, our shadow-sides, our interests etc, in short: our diversity and relative minds, but at the same time acknowledges that there is an absolute (experiential) truth at the basis of all these phenomena: the clarity of the natural state.

Naropa put it nicely in his Stones to Shatter the Stainless Mirror:

"In every situation,
There is the relative view:
Where there are others
And a world to serve
With loving-kindness,
compassion
And Generosity.
And there is also
The Ulitmate View
Where there are no others
And no world
Only the
Mind of Clear Light."

It seems to me that adopting a purely absolutist view without having the experiential basis to understand it in practice is a deadly trap. One can easily become another non-dual robot as illustrated in this short animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXidr0z1RY

As long as the selfing-mechanism is not fully deconstructed (i.e. full enlightenment, full buddhahood), it in my experience there will remain a sutble sense of doer and doing. Even after the subject-self is seen as illusory, it will continue to play itself out in the form of object-selves; tainted thoughts and emotions, and more subtle objectless self-based mind states (skt. alaya vijnana). So, adopting the absolutist view of non-doership before full enlightenment seems troublesome. As samsaric beings, if we don't acknowledge our own mess until it is fully purified, spiritual bypassing etc. is inevitable.

Thus the best approach, as I see it, is to find a way to highlight our own self-based reactions, looking into the samsaric mind while being grounded in a gradually deepened experience of the natural state. That way we avoid spiritual bypassing while deconstructing the whole selfing-mechanism until we are able to fully understand the experiential truth that lies beyond "doership" and "non-doership".

I hope this answers your question.

Tashi

tashi108

Post by tashi108 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Sighclone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:17 pm
tashi -

Rick Archer began interviewing spiritual teachers about 15 years ago at batgap.com. He is a friend and I encouraged him to chat with Kim, who had already been recommended.

Thank you for introducing a Finn to the mix!

Andy
Yes, I know of Batgap and have been following the podcast for a while. It would be wonderful if Rick arranged a conversation with Kim so thank you for suggesting him. Some years ago, Rick interviewed Aloka David Smith, the late teacher of a group called DharmaMind Buddhist Group based in the UK. After Alokas passing DharmaMind joined with Open Heart Sangha after adopting Kim as their new teacher.

My pleasure introducing a Finn! I am Norwegian myself, allthough I live in the UK at the present moment.

Tashi

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am

Thus the best approach, as I see it, is to find a way to highlight our own self-based reactions, looking into the samsaric mind while being grounded in a gradually deepened experience of the natural state. That way we avoid spiritual bypassing while deconstructing the whole selfing-mechanism until we are able to fully understand the experiential truth that lies beyond "doership" and "non-doership".
Yes. The paradox is both/and not either/or. The relative atman coexists with Brahman. (Kashmir Shaivism vs. pure Vedanta). I try to avoid using the word "grounded," but I'm sensing that despite your fine command of English, it may not be native for you. Otherwise I agree...and confess to asking a "loaded" question. When the doer merges with the doing and both dissolve into simple Flow, there is progress. Can we refine our antennae so that every authentic 'nudge' from the universe is felt, and not lost in the static of daily "choices?"

Andy