How can we do our bit for spreading awakening?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
runstrails

How can we do our bit for spreading awakening?

Post by runstrails » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope things are going well. There are so many awakened people on this forum. And I was wondering what the options are to do things related to awakening, to spread the word, or to help people or similar. It gives one a noble purpose in life and it also nice to be constantly in that awakened frame of mind.

I'm not talking about leaving the day job or making money from this kind of endeavor, but just simply to do our part. I know people will say 'live your life well' and that is enough--but I just wanted to also explore other ideas.

Obviously being on this and other forums related to awakening is valuable. I was also thinking of maybe learning sanskrit and then doing a translation of important text or something like that. Any other ideas? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Webwanderer

Re: How can we do our bit for spreading awakening?

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:09 am

I like your loving interest in helping others find clarity. It seems the natural thing to share the ideas that have served those of us on the expanding journey. I have found it a delicate balance between offering what insight I have found, while allowing others to experience life and growth in their own unique ways. I must admit, I have stumbled a lot along the way in finding that balance. It is still a work in progress.

In exploring ideas of ways to help others, forums such as ours offers some opportunities. But it is rather limited in its traffic these days. One place I go occasionally is in YouTube comment sections on subjects of interest. It's not much for ongoing conversations, but for offering an occasional pointer there are lots of opportunities.

I think to do any truly effective sharing requires more personal contact. Families can be difficult. I believe it was Jesus who said 'you're never a profit in your own home'. Social groups and gatherings of all kinds maybe offer the best opportunities. Eric just posted about his own sat-sang group he is sponsoring.

Depending on the community, there are many 'new age' type book stores that have group meetings studying different subjects of interest. My experience with such stores is that there are many seekers there that are opening up and are ready for some experienced guidance. Many good contacts can be made in these gatherings.

Even some churches, such as Science of Mind, and Unity, have good meet-ups where there are many 'newbies' looking to dialog with an experienced hand.

Hopefully some others will post some ideas.

WW

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks WW (as always) for these wonderful ideas! It's interesting you mention the comments section in utube. A long time ago, I found out about Tolle through the comments of a newspaper article.

As you say, it would be so much easier if my own family or friends circle was interested. I've occasionally tried to talk with a friend about Tolle or similar stuff but they just look slightly amused. And the thing is that they are all suffering but are not necessarily interested in spiritual things.

The only person I can really talk with is my yoga teacher. And you've given me an idea to actually speak with him about putting on a workshop where yoga and non-dual ideas can be combined (or something like that!).

And yes, I am also a work in progress. But if I could help even a couple of people just to understand that they are not this limited body/mind, it would be so worthwhile!

Hope to hear from others too.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Here is a hint I have found helpful RT. You likely already know this (it took me far too long to figure this out), but I have found it often to be more effective to ask good and gentile leading questions rather than simply stating the truth as one might know it. I believe there is an optimum balance unique to the individual and circumstances. Finding that balance is key.

One of the most valuable things we can offer is a path to one's own inner self. Now, we can simply state that, or we can ask a question like "what do you think about..." a given issue. Example: Rather than simply telling someone 'you are a child of God', ask 'What do you think about our/your inner nature and being?'

The point here is to motivate people to look inside for their own understanding, and then talk about their perceptions in a way to help expand understanding. On a side note, I have found this helps with my own alignment during the discussion. A good question can open up a curiosity vacuum that makes for valuable dialog. What do you think? :wink:

WW

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Very good advice, WW to ask leading questions. I often find myself just cutting to the chase!

I find there are basically two kinds of people. One kind that is interested in spiritual exploration (and these could be religious, or, spiritual but not religious) and the other kind is just not very interested in inner exploration. The latter kind either look to material pursuits or experiences or therapy type psychological exploration. And most of my friends fall into the latter type so it can be hard to talk with them about spirituality.

And yes, personal alignment is so important. My teenage daughter often calls me out "If you're so spiritual why are you acting so impatient" lol!

But answering your question is making me see that I want everyone to get Tolle's kind of message immediately (i.e., you are presence, or you are not the body/mind). But I need to start from where they are and then see what kind of inner exploration they may be interested in.

I once suggested to my friends a book club where we read spiritual books but sadly no one seemed interested. Y'know it might be interesting to have a spiritual book club like that on our forum too.....

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 pm

runstrails wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:56 pm
But I need to start from where they are and then see what kind of inner exploration they may be interested in.
That's good insight. Sometimes in our fervor, we want others to have that great aha moment that brings a life changing awakening, and instead just caused the conversation to shut down because it was too much too fast. (I speak from personal experience here I'm sorry to say. Oh well, we're all learning.) But getting a sense of where they are, and what may help them to take a simple step toward more clarity, is probably a more fruitful path.

WW

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes nicely stated WW.

Would love to hear from others too on their experiences and ideas.

steve Davidson

Post by steve Davidson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Nice thread. WW brought up great ideas on helping others, spreading awakening. And RT you seem to know what this is all about and have a good heart and want to help.

I dont have any ideas on how to help but will share some tidbits from personal experience.

I read a lot and carry a spiritual book with me to read when i am out and have some free time. Sometimes people see it, see the title and ask what it is about. Most of the time, instead of leading to a open conversation about spiritual topics, i find it a odd interaction and i feel a little self conscious. Most are not into this stuff, when i share what the book is about. I recently was carrying a book that a Medium wrote and it was titled something like "Do dead people see you shower?" This title i had a feeling might attract some undue attention and i was a little reluctant reading it in public, and sure enough someone did see it and comment on it and jeer at it. This person saw the title and laughed and said what the heck is that book and seemed put off by it. And said i hope they arent watching us. I felt uncomfortable and not sure i wanted to read that book in public again. So instead of helping others, i found that sometimes my interests in awakening is a barrier rather than bringing people closer together.

Also, i have gone to many new age or spiritual groups and i have found many conflicts there too, even in those circles. Talking about Awakening, can lead to conflict rather than to understanding if some have strong beliefs that they want to defend.I personally have been attacked and put down and all sorts of negative ramifications for my being honest and open and sharing and questioning in these groups.

So from my years of experience and trying to share and help people and be open, i have come to mostly keeping to myself unless i find one who is open and wants to hear what i have to share, then i share freely.

Sharing on forums and youtube comments and social media is probably the best approach as WW suggested. As for friends and family and associates, unless one is interested it is best probably just to keep to oneself and let them come to you if they ever have any interest in what you are interested. It seems common that most of us who are interested in awakening, find ourselves around others who are not. There are exceptions to this rule, but it seems to be the normal for most.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 am

Lovely post, Steve. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have also found that people in new age type settings or communities are not as open as we would hope they would be! They can be downright hostile.

And I can relate to your 'book' experience too. I admit that I would never carry a spiritual book to my workplace or in similar settings (a bit hypocritical of me I suppose) because I don't want to deal with people's reactions.

Lately, I've bee thinking of putting together a powerpoint presentation on the topic and seeing if there might be a venue to present it. I guess I'm following the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy :D

Thanks--always good to hear from you!

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi everyone, peace.

Over here in Melbourne there are a few groups that in their own way gather and discuss Eckhart Tolles teachings.

These gatherings are organised through an online groups organiser called meetup. For instance if you google Melbourne Eckhart Tolle meditation meetup, it will come up and you need to join that/a meetup and they send out notices of their meetings.

Anyone can start a meetup. There is also a meetup app you can download.

So basically, you can start a new meetup that’s Eckhart related.

Thanks

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 am

Meet ups are a great suggestion Ervin. Thanks.
Do you find that reasonable people come to the meet ups? Or are some of them a little way out? That would be my concern.

Ervin

Post by Ervin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi rustnails.

All sorts come to meetups.

Thanks

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 pm

RT -

I run a Meetup group in my hometown, but haven't had a meeting in a while. An odd group showed up at the last meeting. I try to be sure everyone who wants to speak can do so, but I stop them at three minutes for their first comment until everyone who wants to speak has spoken. Expect lots of egos and opinions - probably why ET doesn't allow talking at his informal groups. The Meetup group needs to be managed.

Of course nudges from the Universe will tell you when to speak up in general.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am

Sighclone wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:55 pm
RT -

I run a Meetup group in my hometown, but haven't had a meeting in a while. An odd group showed up at the last meeting. I try to be sure everyone who wants to speak can do so, but I stop them at three minutes for their first comment until everyone who wants to speak has spoken. Expect lots of egos and opinions - probably why ET doesn't allow talking at his informal groups. The Meetup group needs to be managed.

Of course nudges from the Universe will tell you when to speak up in general.

Andy
It's hopeless! Nevermind! Just sit back and enjoy the show .. (** hangs head in shame **)
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.

snowheight

Post by snowheight » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:58 pm

runstrails wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 am
Lately, I've bee thinking of putting together a powerpoint presentation on the topic and seeing if there might be a venue to present it. I guess I'm following the "If you build it, they will come" philosophy :D
Love to see it, maybe andy can pull strings to get you a spot at SAND. If you're worried about academic reputation, perhaps consider a youtube channel wearing a disguise as the anonymous neural lady.

I'd attend a kiki satsang within a 50 mi radius and I'd even pay to get in. I don't imagine I'd have any questions, just smiles and gratitude. But then again, who knows? Imagination isn't all bad all the time, just the mind doin' it's thing.

All the best to everyone here. :D
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.