Glad to have found this forum

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
Sunlaien

Glad to have found this forum

Post by Sunlaien » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this forum. The Power of Now was recommended to me by my therapist a few months ago. I bought it and several other books and somehow it got pushed to the bottom of the pile. I started reading it on a plane ride last month and it has made a bigger difference in my life than therapy had. Ironically, I am also a licensed counselor, and so understandably I was struggling to feel authentic helping others overcome their challenges when I myself could not.

When I landed to visit my family, I told my mom about this book I was reading and she said “That sounds a lot like Eckhart Tolle”. Come to find out, she’d been watching his videos for a few months herself. Small world!

Since then I’ve continued reading the book and watching the YouTube channel and it has really changed my perspective. I was in a very unconscious relationship and last week, we agreed to separate and work on ourselves. I don’t think I would have otherwise had the awareness or presence of mind to be able to take that step.

I feel clearer and more at peace than I ever have before. The one exception being when I was with my horses. Reflecting back, I realize the reason I felt so pleasant around my horses was because they caused my mind and thoughts to cease and I lived only in that present moment. There were no struggles or problems or negative thoughts or worries. There was no past or present. There was just me and that horse and what we were doing right then.

I’ve rambled a bit now but I have had questions come up as I have started this journey I couldn’t find necessarily addressed in the videos or book so I’m very glad to be here. My mom got tickets to the event in Atlanta later this year and I’m so excited to go.

Webwanderer

Re: Glad to have found this forum

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum. The Power of Now had a similar effect on most all of us here. There's lots of good topics to peruse in these pagers, so enjoy.

WW

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:21 am

Great to have you here, Sunlaien! There is a lot to explore here, so take some time to go through the posts at your leisure, or use the search engine in the top right corner of the page to narrow your search to specific topics.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Welcome Sunlaien!

Yes, ET was a watershed for many, certainly including me. And now you get to face a different dilemma, unfairly summarized as "self vs. Self." Or, the relative disorders of personality and psyche vs. the shifting of identity to a new sense of Being. An excellent place to start for a counselor is "Already Free" by Bruce Tift. Also, "Toward a Psychology of Awakening" by John Welwood. Both Tift and Welwood (recently passed) are/were counselors. Welwood has some essays on awakening and relationships also.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce