How to focus on "Now" after 4 months of futile job

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
kevin01

How to focus on "Now" after 4 months of futile job

Post by kevin01 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:13 am

Dear friends,
I am new to this group. I have read the "Power of Now" and it is a powerful concept. I understand the "theory" of it, but not fully able to live it moment-to-moment. Hence, I wanted to reach out to you for your assistance.

I lost my job in late January 2007. I have been in the job search mode for over 4 months now. I reached the final interview rounds on 2 occassions, but did not get the job. I am still looking. It has been a terrible last 4 months. I am living out of my savings.

So, my question is - in light of this background, how do I effectively live in the "here and now" ? I know the theory part, but would like to hear stories (inspirations) from your personal experience.

I thank you in advance for your kind help.

Thanks,
Kevin

too haht tzay

make lemonade...

Post by too haht tzay » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:40 am

Last edited by too haht tzay on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heidi

Post by heidi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:07 am

Challenges are stepping stones - to see them otherwise is silly. Key word = acceptance.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 am

When it comes to the power of now, it’s important to be clear that it does not refer to manipulating the events of your life, but rather to how one relates to them. Maybe you will never get another job. What has that to do with Clarity of the experience? The power of now is a book full of pointers in how to experience the events of your life without succumbing to concept based suffering.

It is only through the mind, making judgments based on fear and hope that the pain you are experiencing transforms into suffering. Continue your efforts to find work, but do so from an open curiosity of how it unfolds. Find pointers that help move you to Presence on a daily (or multi-daily) basis. Make this time of clarity primary over all other concerns. Being in touch with your Genuine Identity, as it is, is the source of joy in life, even when events are driving the mind into stories of gloom.

Moments of clarity may not get you a job, but then it could give you a calmer presence so that whatever life presents, you may face it without undue distraction and suffering. You may even find that the calmness that comes with presence awareness, may open your mind to avenues of opportunity previously hidden by mental anxiety.

(had to fix a typo)
Last edited by Webwanderer on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiki

Post by kiki » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:40 am

Great answer Web.

jj

Re: How to focus on "Now" after 4 months of futile

Post by jj » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:07 am

kevin01 wrote:It has been a terrible last 4 months.
Hi!! Why call it terrible Kevin? It is as it is. Is there fear with you of possible change? Do you know that all situations are unstable? Do you have the total picture of how everything is supposed to be? Is your mind set on a particular kind of lifestyle and career? Can you let go of that idea?

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:02 pm

don't turn it into a story-
your life is now- as eckhart says what problem do have now>?
don't create problems focus on what you can do in this moment.
that may be calling an employment agency, sending your cv off.
as previosly mentioned accept the moment but not the story
you are telling yourself :)

Dongle

Post by Dongle » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:32 am

I am a Computer Technician at a small company in the suburb I live in. I encounter an innumerable amount of problems everyday, In fact all we do is talk about and fix problems. I find, firstly that I simply cannot do my Job with a problem focussed approach to my life situation, and that there is no space to resolve anything when I am problem focussed.

ET states in one of his publications, that in a job such as this, one should try to keep at least some of our attention in our body, such that we remain centered in the now through the portal of the inner body. Such a focus requires a little practice, 'i think', but it will certainly help to create space in your live that will allow you to solve the issues you are creating about your life situation.

NoordZee

Post by NoordZee » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:57 am

Hi Kevin01,

I can relate to a lot what you told us in your original post. I too am still struggling (I know that I should not use that word) with translating my theoretical knowledge into practice. I do not propose to add to the excellent replies so far as it concerns ET.

If you are still unemployed, I would venture to suggest a few things. In addition to your practicing what you have learned so far about ET's teachings, the following might also be pertinent:
a. Study interview techniques and learn to control the interview with a prospective employer.
b. Learn everything you can about any employer who gives you an interview. If you can speak to an employer/interviewer about their enterprise, you show that you have done your homework and that you are keen.
c. Consider whether the types of vacancies you are applying for are really suitable for you. What are your skills? You may have experience in certain subjects but can you offer different skills to different types of employment? You could expand your search quite a bit.
d. Treat every interview as a learning exercise and review what you have said and what the interviewer said.
e. Further to a, learn to turn awkward questions around. For instance, if the interviewer says that you are too old, instead of reacting to this question, ask:"That is interesting, what makes you say that?"
f. I could not restrain myself here. Accept each interview without judgment. If someone does not want to employ you, that is their loss, not yours.
g. Do you do cold calling? That often can be very successful.

You may know about all these things. I nevertheless have attempted to remind you that a pro-active approach to finding work coupled with good interview techniques and an acceptance of what is happening could lead (in your case) to your finding employment again.

Good luck!
"Veritas vos liberabit"