John Sherman

fnktrry

John Sherman

Post by fnktrry » Thu May 31, 2007 5:56 pm

I came upon this guy accidently. He's down to earth and 8.3 times more powerful than Eckhart on the cosmic richter scale.

http://www.johnsherman.org/

Also youtube his name for more.

summer

Post by summer » Thu May 31, 2007 6:41 pm

What an interesting story. I didn't read all of it, but it is very cool to hear that Gangaji, and other Naropa teachers visit with the inmates, spending time in the federal prisons.

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 pm

8.3, wow.

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Thu May 31, 2007 9:50 pm

Comparisons like that seem fruitless, and it's usually a timing issue for the one impacted by a given teacher at the right moment.

Enjoy a moment of awakening from where ever it originates. Who's better is irrelavent.

fnktrry

Post by fnktrry » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:42 am

Webwanderer wrote:Comparisons like that seem fruitless, and it's usually a timing issue for the one impacted by a given teacher at the right moment.

Enjoy a moment of awakening from where ever it originates. Who's better is irrelavent.
Did you even read my post, or did you just jump in with your poo pooing? Lighten up. :D

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:10 pm

He's down to earth and 8.3 times more powerful than Eckhart on the cosmic richter scale.
Apparently I misunderstood your meaning here, appologies. I still don't get the point, but then I was dropped on my head as a baby and I often have these lapses.

fnktrry

Post by fnktrry » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:45 pm

There's no point! Just an odd sence of humor! :oops:

kiki

Post by kiki » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I "got it" fnktrry - (my mom never dropped me on my head). I think John Sherman is very clear. Thanks for the post.

fnktrry

Post by fnktrry » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:18 pm

I found a page with a lot of his conversations on it but I can't find it any more...check out this http://www.riverganga.org/john/Podcasting/index.shtml

Ego is not the enemy. Ego picks up the Power of Now. Ego wants to be Enlightened. Ego wants to be in a state of spiritual bliss. Ego wants everything to be good, happy. Ego wants you to be a spiritual teacher. The world is Ego. It's not an enemy and it's not the I.

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:48 pm

"Ego is not the enemy" is where a lot of people get hung up, not recognizing that any battle against ego is ego itself. See ego for what it is and ego loses its hold, battles dwindle and cease, and the natural state of awareness is revealed.

AndyD

Post by AndyD » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 pm

I came across this guy when searching for Gangaji on YouTube. I really liked what he had to say (having just met Gangaji myself). Its also nice to see Gangaji's work in prisons having such a profound effect.

Vpopov81

Post by Vpopov81 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:43 pm

I find sherman very dry and he uses the word ego in a different way then Eckhart. He calls consciousness itself "ego" and I can see that even his satsang people get confused. I don't think he is anywhere near Eckhart's teaching ability but thats my opinion.

fnktrry

Post by fnktrry » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:37 am

Vpopov81 wrote:I find sherman very dry and he uses the word ego in a different way then Eckhart. He calls consciousness itself "ego" and I can see that even his satsang people get confused. I don't think he is anywhere near Eckhart's teaching ability but thats my opinion.
I like the clothes he wears! Seriously, he doesn't dress spiritually and seems like the type of person you could meet down at the supermarket.

There are a few things that he said and about the way he teaches that has had an impact on me. The first is that after listening to four of his podcasts I didn't feel the compulsion to listen to more. He makes it very clear (and repeatedly so) what the problem is and what you have to do. That's all he talks about..he doesn't even phrase the same message in different ways. It's unbelievably simple (dry?!).

Here's a list of things I found useful:

1. It is the ego that searches for enlightenment, searches for a peaceful state of consciousness, makes attempts at being 'in the Now' so it can feel spiritual bliss.

The books and lectures given by Eckhart and himself produce a feeling of peace, a different state of consciousness. The ego latches onto this and wants more of it. States of consciousness come and go. They are not who you are. It is perfectly natural for you to want to be in a peaceful state of existence 24/7 but that isn't the desired objective of John Shermans teachings because it's not who you are. It's perfectly possible to live your life in bliss and a peaceful state of consciousness but that isn't the intention of Johns teachings. Finding out who you are is.

2. Ego is the play of consciousness, how can it be seperate from consciousness? Ego is consciousness. Ego makes ego into an enemy or friend but that's what it does.. :wink:

3. There's no problem with Ego. The problem is not knowing who you are. You identify with Ego. Then, you read something spiritual and figure out that ego has to be destroyed or transmuted etc. That cannot be done. The only thing that needs to be done is to find out who you really are.

The only reason I've been reading Eckhart for the past 2 years is that it periodically gives me a sence of joy and I want to be in that state 24/7. In good times, bad times I am here. I am always here, no matter what the state of my story is.

You are here? Is that true? How do you know it is true?

Do you look to your story to tell you that you're here or is there another sence of 'knowing' you are here?

kiki

Post by kiki » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:05 am

Nice post, fnktrry.

eseward

Post by eseward » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:30 am

fnktrry wrote:3. There's no problem with Ego. The problem is not knowing who you are. You identify with Ego. Then, you read something spiritual and figure out that ego has to be destroyed or transmuted etc. That cannot be done. The only thing that needs to be done is to find out who you really are.
Exactly. Well said.