Writing a Post's Title and Content

All members are asked to be familiar with these rules and guidelines.

Writing a Post's Title and Content

Postby erict » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:08 pm

Dear Members,

Since our little community is made up of members from all over the world, many of whom write and speak other languages besides English, we are requesting that all members take special care with their writing. OR ELSE :twisted:

1) WHEN WRITING THE TITLE

a. Please capitalize titles.

Capitalize the first and last word of a title, whatever they are. Also capitalize all the words in between except articles (such as a and the), prepositions (such as for, among, between, and to), and coordinating conjunctions (such as and, but, and or)

b. Choose a descriptive title for your post.

Please choose titles that best describe the subject/topic of your post, so that other users can better navigate the content on the forums.

2) WHEN WRITING THE POST

a. Capitalize the first letter of each sentence, and use a period at the end.

b. Plz do ur best 2 spell words korrectly, if u dun wanna get banned. :wink:

I'd like to clarify. It's okay to make typos and spelling mistakes, we do not insist on perfect writing, but please do not misspell words that you know how to spell.

Respectfully,

Eric and Heidi.
Last edited by erict on Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Updated Guidelines

Postby heidi » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:29 pm

I am posting a reply to this message so that our members will see that we have updated the guidelines.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. As our forum grows, many people all over the world will be reading your posts. We hope that all of the helpful topics will be accessible to all, hence the request for writing using our best basic English language rules and spelling.
:)
Thanks!
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby heidi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:19 am

No one insists you have to write perfect English. We are just hoping that we will all do our best to write our topic headings and messages so that others can understand. :D
Heidi
heidi

Postby erict » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:35 am

We do not insist on perfect English, not at all. Participants make spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes all of the time, and we are okay with that. But is it really so much to ask that you capitalize the first word of each sentence and finish it with a period?! There are only 4 rules.

summer wrote:My first language is english. And often when I feel very creative and excited about what I am writing, spelling and punctuation take a back seat.

Okay, I can totally understand that. But why can't you go over your post once you're done writing it, before you submit it, and fix it up a little?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby summer » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:46 am

I am sincerely sorry for my post.
I have tried to delete it a few times, but have not succeeded.
If you could delete it for me, I would really appreciate it.
summer

Postby erict » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:01 am

Why are you suddenly sorry about it?

You expressed what you thought and felt. Perhaps others feel the same way. And I think your post and our replies to it helped clarify some things. I think it would be beneficial to keep these posts. Would that be alright with you?
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby heidi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:44 pm

I agree with Eric. Other members may have been feeling the same way, and your (Summer's) willingness to speak up may be very beneficial to the forum. So, Thanks! :D
Heidi
heidi

Postby Viv » Thu May 11, 2006 10:53 pm

No?!

Really?

Rules?

What if you're dyslexic? (?sp?)

V xx
Viv

Postby heidi » Thu May 11, 2006 11:24 pm

We know you'll do your best. :)
Heidi
heidi

Postby Tin Soul » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:50 am

I have a question concerning the subject line. Obviously replies on a message thread don't need a subject line entry, right? So the rules regarding the subject line are only for new threads? I want to do it right. :-)
No me.
Tin Soul

Postby erict » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:20 am

The subject lines for replies doesn't really matter. But it is very important for new topics, because it is the only thing that allows people to evaluate whether the thread might be of interest to them or not. Most people do not have the time to read through everything. This is why it is so important to have accurate titles.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Ives » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:35 pm

I have like a really dumb question.

What's the difference between a "sticky" and a normal thread?

Why do stickies exist?
Ives

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:04 pm

A sticky is a more permanent fixture as it stays at the top of the topic list. Additional threads are always inserted below the stickys.

They exist so as to keep important or preferential information at the top of a given heading.
Webwanderer

Return to Forum Rules and Guidelines