A New Earth Quotes

What you can do to show your appreciation and support.

A New Earth Quotes

Postby erict » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:44 pm

Hello dear forum members!

As you probably know, this forum is a part of a web-site dedicated to Eckhart Tolle. The site supposedly has lots of usful information. It has a very nice section with quotes, excerpts and reviews of The Power of Now.

http://www.inner-growth.info/power_of_now_tolle/eckhart_tolle_pon_quotes.htm

It has been my intention to create the same thing for A New Earth as well. But for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, that still hasn't happened.

Anyway, there was supposed to be a point to this post... ah, yes! I wanted to ask you to help a little, by sharing your favorite quotes and excerpts from A New Earth.
Last edited by erict on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:11 pm

My intention is to go through the entire book and write out the best parts. Both shorter quotes, and longer excerpts. For the first time ever I will try to do this using this forum and your kind assistance.

So this is how it's going to work. I will pick up my (hardcover) copy of A New Earth and post my selected quotes and excerpts, including page number. And those of you who wish to help out, just pick up your copy, and either start from the last page I had covered or wherever you want, and post your selections here...
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:17 pm

"This book's main purpose is not to add new information or beliefs to your mind or to try to convince you of anything, but to bring about a shift in consciousness, that is to say, to awaken" - Page 6

"Only by awakening can you know the true meaning of that word" - Page 7

"An essential part of the awakening is the recognition of the unawakened you, the ego as it thinks, speaks, and acts, as well as the recognition of the collectively conditioned mental processes that perpetuate the unawakened state" - Page 7

"...unless you know the basic mechanisms behind the workings of the ego, you won't recognize it, and it will trick you into identifying with it again and again" - Page 8
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:18 pm

"Trying to become a good or beter human being sounds like a commendable and high-minded thing to do, yet it is an endeavor you cannot ultimately succeed in unless there is a shift in consciousness" - Page 12

"You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is alerady within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge" - Page 13

"All we can perceive, experience, think about, is the surface layer of reality, less than the tip on an iceberg. Underneath the surface appearance, everything is not only connected with everything else, but also with the Source of all life out of which it came" - Page 26

"When you don't cover up the world with words and labels, a sense of the miraculous returns to yoru life" - Page 26

"The quicker you are in attaching verbal or mental labels to things, people, or situations, the more shallow and lifeless your reality becomes, and the more deadened you become to reality" - Page 26
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:56 pm

"The unchecked striving for more, for endless growth, is a dysfunction and a disease" - Page 37

"Don't take the ego too seriously" - Page 42

"How do you let go of attachment to things? Don't even try. It's impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them" - Page 45
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:27 pm

‘Is it wrong to proud of one’s possessions or to feel resentful toward people who have more than you? Not at all. That sense of price, of needing to stand out, the apparent enhancement of one's self through "more than" and dimin¬ishment through "less than" is neither right nor wrong—it is the ego. The ego isn't wrong; it's just unconscious. When you observe the ego in yourself, you are beginning to go be¬yond it. Don't take the ego too seriously. When you detect egoic behavior in yourself, smile. At times you may even laugh. How could humanity have been taken in by this for so long? Above all, know that the ego isn't personal. It isn't who you are. If you consider the ego to be your personal problem, that's just more ego.’

‘Ego – The Current State of Humanity’ page 42
aquarius123esoteric

Postby darren » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:45 am

page 22
What a liberation to realize that the "voice in my head" is not who I am. Who am I then? The one who sees that.

page 309
A new species is arising on the planet. It is arising now, and you are it!

page 210
When you are present. when your attention is fully in the Now, that presence will flow into and transform what you do. There will be quality and power in it. you are present when what you are doing is not primarily a means to an end but fullfilling in itself.

page 115
The present moment is the field on which the game happens. It cannot happen anywhere else. Once you have made peace with the present moment, see what happens, what can you do or choose to do, or rather what life does through you. There are three words that convey that secret of the art of living, the secret of all success and happiness: One With Life. Being one with life is being one with Now. You then realize that you don't live your life, but life lives you. Life is the dancer , and you are the dance.

page 259
Instead of being lost in your thinking, when you are awake you recognize yourself as the awareness behind it. Thinking then ceases to be a self-serving autonomous activity that takes possession of you and runs your life. Awareness takes over from thinking. Instead of being in charge of your life, thinking becomes the servant of awareness. Awareness is conscious connection with universal intelligence. Another word for it is Presence: conciousness without thought.

page 220
The collective disease of humanity is that people are so engrossed in what happens, so hypnotized by the world of fluctuating forms, so absorbed in the content of their lives, they have forgotten the essence that which is beyond content, beyond form, beyond thought. They are so consumed by time that they have forgotten eternity, which is their origin, their home, their destiny. Eternity is the living reality of who you are.
darren

Re: A New Earth Quotes

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm

My, Eric, haven't you been busy? Love - Aquarius
aquarius123esoteric

Re: A New Earth Quotes

Postby nothing » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 pm

What a liberation to realize that the "voice in my head" is not who I am. Who am I then? The one who sees that.

Thank you for posting that. It may be one of my favorite sentence/quotes of all time.
nothing

Return to Support the Forum