Motivation and purpose in the "life after"

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
starshine

Motivation and purpose in the "life after"

Post by starshine » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:38 am

I have enjoyed the books and read them many times in the past 3 years. I am having success in the practice of the teachings, however, one thing bothers me. I have even helped others with ease compared to my own issues by using the teachings.

Emotions are wonderful motivators and most of my life they helped me achieve what I desired with relative ease. Now as they grow ever weaker, my desires seem gone and my motivation non-existent. I am happy but not moving anywhere. As I observe myself, I see myself just living. That is OK I guess.

Eckhart said that eventually one day he had become a spiritual teacher. Nothing has presented itself to me like that and I am puzzled by that. Does anyone have any comments about the purpose that comes after?

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:47 pm

hi

that is just a thought Í am not moving anywhére´, maybe you are focusing
a little bit too much on the future so you think you will be more fulfilled
when you ´become´a spiritual teacher.
just be, and if you become a teacher and if you can help good, if not
it is not a problem.
eckhart says your purpose is to realize your own being, the fruits will
come of their own accord

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:04 pm

starshine wrote:Emotions are wonderful motivators and most of my life they helped me achieve what I desired with relative ease. Now as they grow ever weaker, my desires seem gone and my motivation non-existent. I am happy but not moving anywhere. As I observe myself, I see myself just living. That is OK I guess.
Emotions, as they are related to goals, come with an investment in results. So much of what we want and strive for is related to ego satisfaction. But as one begins to awaken, those investments lose potency; and for a while it's easy to lose interest in what we previously thought important. From the ego/mind's perspective, why bother with goals if we no longer care about accomplishment? So it's easy for a time to lose motivation.

However, there is another way to look at activity. Rather than emotionally investing in successful outcomes of one's chosen goals, act in fullness with the moment. Life will unfold as it will. Participate in each moment with excellence and clarity of being. There may still be purpose, but that purpose is more immediate and has to do with the intimacy of present interaction. Long term goals may still be present, but the path within life's unfoldment is seen with a sense of wonderment rather than through definitions of success and failures.

Oh yes, and welcome to the forum starshine. :D

kiki

Post by kiki » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:44 pm

Good morning starshine, the earth says hello! (courtesy of Donovan's song from the musical Oliver. Welcome to the board.

kiki

heidi

Post by heidi » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 pm

Kiki - that one was from Hair
Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself (very Nowish lyrics :))

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

kiki

Post by kiki » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:40 pm

heidi wrote:Kiki - that one was from Hair
I stand corrected. Thanks heidi.

Gliddy glub gloopy
Nibby nabby noopy
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba nabba
Le le lo lo
Tooby ooby walla
Nooby abba naba
Early morning singing song

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:06 pm

Gooood morning...

Staaaaaaaarrrrrr Shiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnne.....

heidi

Post by heidi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:33 am

The earth says helooooo...

And Starshine - The way I see it is, first you were no where - now you are now here- and then when all's said and done you'll be no where once again.

Oh, you mean the purpose after enlightenment? I would think it the same as above. ;)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave

starshine

The job is filled

Post by starshine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:02 am

Thanks for the good reply goat boy.

The teaching job has been filled and the teacher is doing a wonderful job. I have been using the teachings to help others and that is the extent that I will teach.

"Just a thought" - I spoke with my ego a year ago and thanked it profusely for getting me to where I am in life. It has done a good job in the form world and I was proud of it, however, I asked it to let me be in the spirit world and for the most part it has done so. For me thoughts also have their place, however, I am in a different place often.

starshine

Mr Nowhere man

Post by starshine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:17 am

Thanks for all the musical welcomes to the board.

Heidi, I didn't quite understand your comment on a purpose after awakening. Could you help me out.

Or will you sing about Mr. Nowhere man?

starshine

Thanks Web Wanderer

Post by starshine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:32 am

Yes my ego was results oriented and goal directed. The sense of wonderment distracts me from time to time like the yellow leaves of the tree flapping in the wind and back lit by the morning sun. Perfection. Apparently created for me since those around me didn't seem to notice it. It is hard at times to focus on anything else but the extreme beauty around us.

Motivation is something I understand - non goal directed behavior is new to me. Perhaps needing motivation or even a purpose is the issue. I will try your remedy. Thank you very much for the reply.

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:28 am

starshine wrote:The sense of wonderment distracts me from time to time like the yellow leaves of the tree flapping in the wind and back lit by the morning sun. Perfection. Apparently created for me since those around me didn't seem to notice it. It is hard at times to focus on anything else but the extreme beauty around us.
I know what you mean. Thanks for putting this into words.

Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 pm

heidi wrote: And Starshine - The way I see it is, first you were no where - now you are now here- and then when all's said and done you'll be no where once again.
So the only difference then in being nowhere and
nowhere is where the space is placed, before the W or after the W. :)

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:09 pm

Foxtrot wrote:So the only difference then in being no-where and
now-here is where the space is placed, before the W or after the W.
I would say the difference is where the space is placed, outside of the now, or within the now. No_where.... Now_here.

Aren't words fun?

Ives

Post by Ives » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:07 am

Excellent wordplay!