The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

The Age of Awakening

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:00 pm

The Age of Awakening
by Kim Eng
copyright August 2003
source Eckhart Teachings

The evolution of consciousness is inevitable. It seems we are living in an age of awakening. This may not be immediately apparent when we watch the daily news and witness the violence, the warfare, the horrific suffering that humans inflict on each other. Here it seems that nothing has changed or things are getting worse. What we are witnessing in fact is the unconsciousness of the human mind playing itself out in front of our eyes. This is the world we create when we are unaware of the one source that sustains and connects us all, and instead identify with opinions, judgments, labels and mental positions. The one source, the one consciousness that is prior to and beyond any form - color of skin, gender, culture, religion, or even any thought the mind can think.

When we witness world events on television, we are in fact seeing only the effect of human unconsciousness. However, it is only in yourself where the prime cause originates and thus can be dissolved. Only then a new world can come into existence.

KE: Large numbers of people are beginning to awaken spiritually at this time. Many of them look to a teacher, such as yourself, for guidance and support. Although ultimately nobody can do it for you, a teacher is no doubt helpful - some would say essential - during the process of awaking. In the face of such overwhelming demand for spiritual truth, why is it that you have substantially reduced your public teaching for the remainder of 2003? (except October, see Eckhart's "upcoming events" at http://www.eckharttolle.com). What is your message to all those awakening beings who rely on you for guidance?

ET: Don't rely on me. Whoever and whatever you rely on externally will let you down sooner or later. All forms dissolve, change, die, leave you. Many people feel they are being drawn to me, the "form" of Eckhart, but they are wrong. They confuse form with essence. When people come to a talk, an intensive, or a retreat, they don't come to be with me, although this is how it may look on the surface. They come to be with themselves, or rather, to be themselves more fully. Something shines through the form of Eckhart, and it is one with the essence of who you are. The peace, stillness, joy or intense aliveness you feel in the presence of the spiritual teacher emanates from the one Source within yourself, inseparable from who you are at the deepest level. The teacher cannot give it to you. He or she reveals to you what is already there, within yourself.

The teaching is continuously available to you through the books, tapes, videos. For those who are ready to awaken, they are just as powerful as the physical presence of the teacher. But beware of excessive attachment to these things and the constant need for more, which is not a true need but a mind-created one. One needs to see when the point has been reached where that which is helpful, that which puts you in touch with the truth of who you are, has served its purpose. Buddha had the beautiful analogy of the "raft crossing the river" - once you have crossed the river, you don't carry the raft around with you. As long as you need the raft, the teaching is there.

Through the books, tapes, videos, the teaching is there in its full power, and that teaching, if you allow it, will put you in touch with the only living teacher there is: your own innermost being. But the egoic mind keeps saying: I need, I want, I must have. The mind's need for more is a way of avoiding and truly being with the teaching. Which is here now.

KE: You are already yourself, fully.

ET: Yes, nothing essential can or needs to be added.

KE: What is the nature of that self that we already are? Can one say anything about it?

ET: One can only point; but not explain or define. One can say: space, or inner spaciousness, is who you are at the deepest level. It is utterly still, yet vibrantly alive. I have nothing to give you except that: space. But since space is the essence of who you are, I have nothing to give you (Eckhart chuckles). If you look for anything other than space in a spiritual teacher, you will be disappointed, let down. Whatever he or she gives you, it will never be enough. Nothing in the realm of form will satisfy you for long.

KE: Yes, form is duality. Therefore, at sometime or another, the opposite must occur.

ET: When you internally allow each moment to be as it is, when you witness your thoughts and emotions as they happen, space arises within you - stillness, peace. That is who you are. That is beyond the opposites.
Webwanderer

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks to eyeyogateacher for calling attention to this ET interview. They are wise words indeed for any and all who find their way to our forum.
Webwanderer

Postby Hiren Shah » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Very interesting. ET is right about not being over dependent on the teacher because that can also become a craving or a clininging and that can go against being in the present- a person who has no craving and aversion is truly equanomous and always in the present.

As for the united consciousness and latent oneness, many philosophers have talked about it throughout the hisotry of mankind but nobody has been able to achieve it in letter and spirit or shall we say spiriit and spirit since we are against labelling. Maybe the conditions have not been adverse enough. ET himeslf says that adversity queers the pitch to awakening. ET has made a very handsome beginning- hope that continues and is not restricted to the "present moment" only paradoxical though it may seem. He says in "A New Earth" that truths are paradoxical.
Hiren Shah

Postby NoordZee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:27 am

Thank you for making this interview with ET available. I have found that anything to do with spirituality is not straight forward to us humans, due to the all pervading influence of our mind. I look forward to reading ET's A New Earth
"Veritas vos liberabit"
NoordZee

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby unity1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:37 am

For me on my journey - its been like an untangling - untangling from erronous concepts and systems of beliefs - I felt I had untangled from many of them - yet I am only now just realizing the stillness that rises within me when I understand that the feelings I am having are NOT me just passing through me - I don't yet have that sense of peace - not yet - but I long to have it - I know I will have it - in time - my expansive now time :D
thank you for sharing that article
j
unity1

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:26 pm

The good news is: If you can recognize illusion as illusion, it dissolves. The recognition of illusion is also its ending. Its survival depends on your mistaking it for reality. In the seeing of who you are not, the reality of who you are emerges by itself.

Webwanderer

Postby Intel » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:10 pm

This sounds all well and good, I just wish that I could wake up and join the party. Until then I'll have to float in the the bitter sea of suffering.
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?
Intel

Postby tikey » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:31 pm

great post, thanks
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Postby weopposedeception » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:37 am

The bad news is that suffering teaches us acceptance. The good news is that we can learn acceptance through suffering.
weopposedeception

Postby Suzanne » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:19 am

Intel wrote:This sounds all well and good, I just wish that I could wake up and join the party. Until then I'll have to float in the the bitter sea of suffering.
You will most likely feel your deep peace and calm some day in your life, when you tire of the monotony of suffering over insignificant events. You will finally decide that none of the things you yearn for can make you happy, even if you attain them. People like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are proof of that: They have obtained everything in life and are inconsolably miserable. You will also find people of rather meager means who are quite happy with very little. And you'll have to admit to yourself that their source of happiness comes from inside them, and also that you are no different from them.

If you are honest that you wish you could join the party, well, you just did. Welcome. We're glad you're here. Actually, your mother did that for you when you arrived on the planet. But if you really want to feel the peace we speak of here, take out the audio version of Eckhart's The Power Of Now from your local library. By listening to his voice, maybe on the 2nd or third time through, with some weeks of letting life prove it to you, you will feel some of what he describes, even if just for a moment or 2. And that moment will be so deep and beautiful, that you will refuse to accept that you cannot return to it. Because it is already inside of you.

Like most people, you've lost the ability to feel your connection to everyone and everything. But if you know what to look for, which is basically what his book shows you, you will no doubt trip right over an opportunity to still your mind and feel the connection that is always there, right underneath all the mental noise. It's not something you can make happen or do. You can only be still and make room for your mind to slow and stop. That sweet, golden feeling you'll feel is the rest of us, waiting for you. Welcome to the party.
8)
Suzanne

Postby heidi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Suzanne 8) nicely said. :)
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Kingdomcome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 am

Awakening is inevitable as basic needs are so easily fulfilled for so many people. The next 50 years will bring revelations unheard of. Tolles teachings are the stumbling first steps of a child. Much, much more will be ackknowledged I believe.
Kingdomcome

Postby Intel » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:35 am

I was having a bible study with an older friend of mine tonight. This lesson was on the end times. Now although i'm not christian I do enjoy the talks we have during these studies. Anyway he was showing me passages in revelations and the predictions its made. Some of them have already come to pass although I don't remember much.

This is very interesting, and he even predicts that at the rate these revelations are being revealed, the 'end of time' will happen within ten years! It doesn't mean exactly that the earth will be destroyed. But its the beginning of the death of half the worlds population through war and egoic madness. None of this will take place without the 'anti-christ'. This will be a human that will run the world. There will be one world government and this guy will lead it. Supposedly he'll make his way to the top because he has the answers for everything. He'll be able to end poverty and get warring nations to sign peace treaties. Everyone will put their trust in him. Somewhere along the line however once he has control things he'll show his true colours. And thus will begin literally hell on earth.

Now I interperated the 'anti-christ' as somebody so deep in the egoic illusion, so disconnected from God that indeed you could call him the anti christ. This sort of person would be dark and full of hate, although obviously no one would notice this until its too late. He may even have great charisma and a guy you would admire. Look at Hitler. If you've seen a clip of him, its not apparent that he is 'evil' and full of hate. He gave charismatic speeches, made great promises and won peoples trust.
I would lick your feet, but is that the sickest move?
Intel

Postby Suzanne » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:51 am

Dear Intel,

Interesting thoughts. Somewhere in the Eckhart CD's he says something about the biblical endtimes actually being completely misunderstood. He thinks they were parables to explain how the old world of ego and suffering will eventually be replaced by consiousness, and maybe eventually global enlightenment.

"The lion will lie down with the lamb" stuff is really what the end times are supposed to be about.
Suzanne

Postby Onceler » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:13 am

Something's bound to happen!

It will be what is necessary I imagine.
Be present, be pleasant.
Onceler

Next

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion