Byron Katie and Oprah

Sighclone

Byron Katie and Oprah

Post by Sighclone » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 am

Here is a link to the first part of this hour-long discussion:

http://www.oprah.com/media/20080728_oaf ... 28_oaf_oss

In the second half, BK and Oprah go through the four-question exercise regarding Oprah's weight. "My body is too large." (Is it true, How do you know it's absolutely true, etc...) Oprah sort of understands the results of "the work" - we will see what happens. She does seem to forgive herself a little bit. But she still wants to be a size ten.

Interesting interview - see if you can find the second half....

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

letitgo

Re: Byron Katie and Oprah

Post by letitgo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Amazing!

I just watched all three Byron Katie sessions and am just astonished. I thought before watching this that my mind and I had a pretty good understanding! She really puts things on a new level with the four questions, which simplifies the process of looking at a thought to an almost ridiculous degree.

In the third interview she talks about how if someone hit her she would be thankful immediately after the shock of being hit... because it's over. Wow.

This was my first exposure to Byron Katie. I wasn't even aware of her book until I saw her name all over this forum. I'll try not to get a speeding ticket on my way to Borders.

It's even more fun to watch Oprah with BK than it was to watch her with ET. It seems she's more laid back and almost laughing at some of BK's statements because they're so far beyond what she has ever contemplated.

Thanks for passing along the information and I'll do the same.

Sincerely, Norm
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.

joe

Post by joe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:39 pm

I have to be suspicious of Oprah. I'm sure she's just a phony- being in show business. Byron Katie looks like she may simply be a new age person.

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:18 pm

joe wrote:I have to be suspicious of Oprah. I'm sure she's just a phony- being in show business. Byron Katie looks like she may simply be a new age person.
It's interesting how complex the world is. Oprah may well be a phoney, but without her Tolle would not have had the exposure he has had and we may never had heard of him.

"simply a new age person" sounds dismissive. Before you dismiss Katie, check into her questions and do a couple rounds, it may not be your thing, but then again you may be suprised. In my opinion, she is beyond catagory; one of the most unconventionl, pure, teachers out there. "ruthless, cunning, patient, sweet" from Castaneda comes to mind when I think about describing her.
Be present, be pleasant.

erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Post by erict » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for the link. From the link you provided it took me a while to find the page with all the Byron Katie talks available in both video and audio, in either streaming or download versions. Here it is, for anyone who is interested:

http://www.oprah.com/article/spirit/ins ... oss_bkatie
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:21 pm

joe wrote:I have to be suspicious of Oprah. I'm sure she's just a phony- being in show business. Byron Katie looks like she may simply be a new age person.
So what if Oprah's a phony, who isn't? Isn't it the nature of living in form to pretend we are something we are not? It's apparent that Oprah has had some awakening moments or she wouldn't be bringing these fine teachers to her audience. It is that same awakening that allows each of us to recognize a greater perspective from where we currently perceive. Oprah's clarity is a great deal less relevant to me than my own. The cool thing is I get to decide what to listen to and who offers the best insight. If someone else gains clarity from another's path, I respect that. We all must find our own way.

WW

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:46 am

WW -

So well said...I completely agree.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce