Political Arguments

All members are asked to be familiar with these rules and guidelines.

Political Arguments

Postby Sighclone » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 am

We are very sensitive to avoiding political aguments here. Although an occasional post with a political comment may be permitted to remain, most will be deleted. Because mention of a political policy or a specific political entity or politician might be acceptable in context, we have not created a formal rule. But this is a firm quideline.

Arguments begin with attachments to "positions." Politics is full of that - this forum has a different objective.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Political Arguments

Postby domokato » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 am

Wouldn't it be a good spiritual exercise to remain present and mindset-less while discussing politics? I'm more a fan of a hands-off policy. Call me a libertarian if you want :D
~housecat
domokato

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:44 am

domokato wrote:Wouldn't it be a good spiritual exercise to remain present and mindset-less while discussing politics?

Absolutely. Fortunately the world outside this forum is full of opportunities do just that. Let us know how it goes.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby BellaHope » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Oh, I would debate politics with teachers all the time. And let me say that I am for helping other people, and foreign aid, and human kindess. His argument that it is not economical, I agree to a certain extent, but I would want to know does money matter more than life? I guess to some it does.. But I did not yell, I accepted his position. We also debated the topic of climate change, he does not believe in it and he thinks it is a scam set up by world leaders... Yet again, I took his opinion, put myself in his shoes. He had some points, teach a man to fish, do not give him the fish. Yet, I still agree with my ideas. He's a stubborn little bugger! haha!

But, I like to share ideas with people. =)
BellaHope

Postby mega_nix » Mon May 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Discussing politic without a ego invested in it would be wonderful :D
It isn't important if you live 20 or 1000 years. The only thing that it is important, is to loose the fear of death
mega_nix

Postby heidi » Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Anyone on the planet is welcome to create their own forum where they can discuss political issues while practicing mindfulness. But that is not the purpose of this forum, and we have found that leaving politics out of the mix is best here. Ironically, this forum was created because I got banned from another (long gone) Tolle forum for discussing why using Tolle's philosophy and practicing presence was especially helpful during an election... :mrgreen:
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby rideforever » Wed May 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Sighclone wrote:We are very sensitive to avoiding political aguments here. Although an occasional post with a political comment may be permitted to remain, most will be deleted. Because mention of a political policy or a specific political entity or politician might be acceptable in context, we have not created a formal rule. But this is a firm quideline.Arguments begin with attachments to "positions." Politics is full of that - this forum has a different objective.Andy

Andy, this is politics and you have just stated your position.

The goal of oneness is not to cut yourself off from one aspect of existence, be it 'politics' or otherwise. That's the oldest trick in the book. Of course deep down there is a political objective ... this is like the 'state' disappearing troublemakers, 'to keep the peace'.

Moderation is not an easy job, and a great deal is required of you. And to be sure most of the people on this forum are not 'enlightened', and so our minds are full of politics. If you do not allow it, you are basically saying you will disregard a part of each member of the forum.

Providing a sanitised forum which ignores half of existence, is the equivalent to a monk hiding up in the mountains.

Even to use the term "politics" is really to enter into politics, because what you are saying is that you take at face value mental constructs arising from people, rather than seeing people as a whole entity on the path, making their way through all of life's lessons, and from time to time using mental constructs as a means of expression.

It would be more helpful IMO to talk of : courage, openness, freshness, laughter, gentleness, sincerity.
I was proud, and I demanded the finest teacher
.. .. and when he appeared
.. .. .. .. I was so small
rideforever

Postby kiki » Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 am

Andy was just trying to remind people to keep this board aligned with its main purpose, as a resource for those exploring awakening. If too much is allowed the board loses its focus.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Mon May 14, 2012 6:51 am

It would be more helpful IMO to talk of : courage, openness, freshness, laughter, gentleness, sincerity.

Thanks, Kiki.

Ride -

Thank you for your civilized dissent. We encourage talk of and with all the the desirable attributes of personhood mentioned above. However, our experience has been that political positions are ego-triggers, usually the "collective ego" of a political viewpoint. There is some irony that this forum was started eight years ago because one of the founders was banned from another ET forum for expression of a political view! Before we were firm on this, angry threads would start up and essentially hijack the forum, creating great pools of conflict. I can assure you that there is a wide variety of political viewpoints held by both members and moderators here.

One of Eckhart's objectives is to cast the ego into high relief so it can be exposed to the infinitely broader identity of Source. When I identify with my "separate inside self," I see threats everywhere. And I "firm up" my self-image by winning arguments, none of which help to deflate the whole unnecessary fiction.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Return to Forum Rules and Guidelines