Sort of Asceticism for nothing?

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
D'ray

Sort of Asceticism for nothing?

Post by D'ray » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:46 pm

You are not your thoughts. You are not body. You are not this or that Neti neti

I have noticed in my behavior that I deny somethings from me without a real reason. For example I sometimes don't participate happenings that made 'me' (ego) happy before I had read any spiritual books/being aware of the ego.

It's sort of useless testing like: "Can I manage without this or that. What happens to my ego when I don't do the usual fun things?"
Denying thoughts, ideas everything. It makes me a negative person when I don't pursue the things I want. On the other hand I know that even if I get the things I want it won't make me happy. And getting too involved with the world will make my ego grow again and it may get hurt.

Has anyone gone through phase like this?
There's no "I" to become enlightened. The "I" can have spiritual experiences.

DON'T resist the RESISTANCE! The resistance is there. Walk into it. Feel it. Become one with it.

randomguy

Re: Sort of Asceticism for nothing?

Post by randomguy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Why have you concluded that you shouldn't participate in the type of happenings that you have before? It may be a great opportunity to practice awareness and notice the effect on your ego. The way I see it, the goal is disidentification from the egoic mind. This, to me, does not imply changing behavior due to reasons of anticipating a future reaction in the ego.
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:45 am

I surely agree with randomguy, in general...well said. Now if the things you used to do were obviously deeply egoic you might reconsider. Say buying things you don't need just to have them; or talking at length about how much you hate this or that person or institution; or being cruel to someone; or preparing a big fancy dinner party to show off your new china; or stroking someone else's ego to "get on their good side."

But most other things we do enjoy need not be dropped - as rg says, there are portals to presence everywhere. Even in a golf swing. The question is, how attached are you to breaking par, or getting a hole-in-one, or having really expensive clubs? Very competitive people are often very egoic.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 pm

You've taken neti neti in a different direction and turned it into something else. Neti neti is a discarding of what you are not - it has no relation to what you have or still remains (only that you are not it).

It is an interesting spiritual practice (sadhana) you have taken and I could see how it would have benefits. "Can I manage without this or that. What happens to my ego when I don't do the usual fun things?" This is only one sided however, I would mix in things to do that you don't like doing or make you uncomfortable (be it speaking in front of crowds, dancing, or whatever). The sadhana you have taken is an asceticism that saints and swamis have practiced before over the centuries...it does shake up mental constructions and ego structure. I would suggest moderation. It is something to play with to discover more about how the ego reacts and such.

"It makes me a negative person when I don't pursue the things I want." Pay attention to the negativity...it is not because you don't pursue the things you want - it is due to the ego. Not pursuing things you want does not make you a negative person. Not pursuing things you want may make the sense of "I" rebel.

"And getting too involved with the world will make my ego grow again "...that is incorrect. Enlightenment does not mean you are uninvolved with the world. You can be in the world, but not of it...as a wise rabbi said once.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen