Eckhart and Abraham differences?

Manifesting your reality or the Law of Attraction

Re: Eckhart and Abraham differences?

Postby Sighclone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 am

I have probably read 2,000 posts in this forum. Not one has presented as broad, as informed and as clear a picture (and question) as this one. I have read most of the writers referenced and appreciate the two simple baskets innerhike has created for them, and to my more limited understanding, I agree.

My answer: No. I can't stay there 24x7x365. Form is more than ripples for me. But I experience progress and joy and synchronicity very regularly.

Thanks, innerhike!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby innerhike » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:53 am

Andy,

I welcome your compliment.

Or at least my ego welcomes it! :-)

And yes I have to agree with you that partial enlightenment or surrender is way better than none at all. Ramana Maharshi apparently said exactly this to a woman of high royalty who was concerned that her surrender was partial. We can build on partial surrender, and to me this whole game is incremental not a one-shot or one-night deal as is the case in Eckhart's history.

I am currently working with an interesting idea in my life which is that when one tries to maintain equanimity in very challenging circumstances, that one's stabilization in the Now is deepened even more.

We are to keep up our hope, joy and to keep doing whatever it is that helps us. We are to not forget what brought us to joy, even as we seek to forget the story of "I and this world". We are to practice that which helps us, even if that practice is no-practice. Until we reach the goal of being "here now" all the time, we are to be okay with the idea of being on a journey.

with much love and respect,

ash / innerhike
innerhike

Postby Sighclone » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 pm

Equanimity in challenging circumstances! Yes!

I think we have all seen this in others and were impressed. It is the ultimate event of creating 'space' for the hostile energy, while it is happening. And like you mentioned earlier in another post...the karate example...if you have stabilized in enough presence to just "be" there, the right words or actions can and will flow.

I am involved in a significant dispute with the County Assessor's office on one of my appraisal assignments. I needed to contact the adversarial parties, and began both conversations with a compliment to both of them...not a phony compliment, but a real one - some of their analysis and effort was good, and they well-represented the people and taxpayers (like me).
The remainder of the conversation has gone very smoothly, and they may well postpone or withdraw their valuation, based on my arguments. My point is that I began with heartfelt respect, and the bristling egos went away, and a search for the correct valuation began.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby GreenTea » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:13 pm

Over the past month I have gotten really interested in Abraham-Hicks. I was aware of them before but it is only now that I can look at their teachings through the lens of eckhart tolle's teachings that they really resonate with me. To me, the teachings have exactly the same message despite some surface language differences. I think they compliment each other really well....

Anyway, it's really interesting to see you guys talking about this and reminds me how much I appreciate this forum. :)
GreenTea

Postby powerbowler » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm

When i was in my late twenties my friends were getting married or had serious relationships , i did want to settle down but i just could not find anyone . I was sick of of going to the local dances and pubs always looking for the "right" girl , so i literally stopped searching and just got on with my life doing things i enjoyed and visiting friends . One month later one of my married friends introduced me to a young lady who was visiting them. We hit it off straight away and we were married within the year . The point of my story is --as soon as i stopped my search i felt a weight come off me, a real sense of freedom, it was almost like i was putting a brake on life and as soon as i accepted and stopped pushing, life started to flow . It seems there is an understanding of what you need [ not want ] that life will unfold . By the way we have been happily married for 36years.
powerbowler

Postby Tara » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:51 pm

I feel compelled to respond to powerblower's post.

I came here searching the word "lonely" I am home alone and will be for some days and have been off and on over the past. This has allowed me to have the time to read Tolle, come here etc...but I get this overwhelming sadness loneliness and feel restless...even though I have things to do and want to get done. I read in another thread that the feeling of loneliness by being by yourself probably will be the same in a relationship or with people...so true,,,cause I am married with 4 kids and I realize what I am fighting won't necessarily go away just because they come home.

My point is I so want to have the "fullness" and love and presence so that no matter where, with whom I am, I am...
powerbowler said:
"so i literally stopped searching and just got on with my life doing things i enjoyed and visiting friends"

Could I be withholding what I enjoy, getting on with my life because I ...I dont know??? what is stopping me from going for it? just being or doing what I want, right now?? instead I feel lonley or alone. But I am also not interested in going out in public???

Anyways sorry to ramble, but the above quote has struck a chord and I need to delve into it deeper..or do I???lol
Tara

Postby Sighclone » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Tara! Get a piece of paper and write down the following question:

"If I knew it could happen, what would I like to see in the next year in my life?" The first part of that question is very intentional - it allows Joy and Enthusiasm to be present when you answer, and short-circuits input from the painbody and negative ego stories.

Write down four or five answers. Then spend a little time writing a story about a person who lives that way. Imagine her. Get a clear picture of her life. Yes, it is not you today. Yes, Eckhart says don't live for the future. But you are in a circular rut and have not even imagined any component of your way out. This exercise is just to get you looking out over the top of the rut, not setting up some glorious futureland which will always be inadequate when you get there. Be the change you want...inch by inch. Go back to that image of that person leading that life - what would she do today?

Just my 2 cents,
Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

Postby innerhike » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 am

so i literally stopped searching and just got on with my life doing things i enjoyed and visiting friends"

...the above quote has struck a chord and I need to delve into it deeper..or do I?

In my experience this is what this quote means:

When I stop searching, I am in the present.

I simply am.

The more I simply am, the more things show up without me even trying.

--

I find that deep stillness attracts one's karma or dharma (destiny or momentum of Life), which in turn takes care of all of one's needs, desires, wishes.

Of course one has to be surrendered enough to see that everything showing up is nothing but Life/Me/Myself/I.

The more I surrender, the less I know, and the more perfectly everything flows, even challenges.

The less I am here, meaning I the ego, the more happy my life is.

All life needs is a little less ego, a little less resistance. Nothing else is missing.

No-thing needs to be added. No effort, no ideas, no seeking, no enjoying, no suffering.

Only this that is ever here. Sink into it my friend, be lost in this fullness, dissolve and tell me what remains?
innerhike

Postby James » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:50 pm

Somewhere in between the void and nothingness of certain eastern traditions, and the fullness and materialism of some western traditions; there is the Emptiness expressing itself in what appears as form, fulfilling itself impersonally.

James

Postby Tara » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Thank you all for the replys. I worried that I did not make what I was "thinking" clear but you all hit right on. I sometimes feel down but don't let myself "imagine" a way out or go onto enjoy anything. I have always had some kind of wall up like I don't deserve to let go and be happy or peaceful cause I feel guilty??? I feel selfish I guess.

So that is why the quote struck me...can I do something I want (by myself) and enjoy it and have myself enjoying it? Just be free and be myself...boy it is a hard "habit" to break, withholding, after doing it 40 some years...or maybe not if I just stop searching and be like innerhike said.

And sighclone I did as you said and it feels refreshing and attainable and the jest of what the imagined girl "is" can be right here right now!

I do find myself watching a show and laughing out loud or crying when I am by myself now, which in the past even though I am alone I might feel insecure...how crazy??

Thanx for letting me post...it helps me even if I don't make sense:))
Tara

Previous

Return to Law of Attraction