Why do anything?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
Electrophant

Why do anything?

Post by Electrophant » Tue May 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi all

I've been becoming more and more conscious. MY last 'satori' lasted ~2 hours and I was basically wandering around the supermarket busting out laughing and 'mesmerized' by all the crazy colors and sounds. I commonly have laughs and connections with 'inanimate' objects. My ego will step in and say "it's like I'm on drugs," and then I will smile/laugh at that thought which brings me even more aware/in the now!

It pure joy without thought. No thought, emotion, feeling, or anything the mind can conceive can describe that pure awareness. The problem I've been having is I do try to be present always and the need to do or want anything is gone. I am perfectly content --when in the now-- where there is no time or want...

When I'm unconscious, my mind says to get on with life, life is serious, don't go deep into now. It says, "you need to work to make money and find a mate to be in a better situation. Get a bigger house. Be the best. You're better than these other idiots out there. Go for it. Life will be better." Then 'I' realize that's just my mind/ego which brings me into now, I'll smile, then laugh, then be at peace, feel my whole body/breathing, be observing every sound, sight, feel, smell, taste.... and my mind shuts off and pure joy ensues.

So whenever I think I want something, that is transmuted into consciousness and the want subsides.... So why even do anything? How can I fulfill my inner purpose and ego-lessly have an outer purpose?

PS - I just realize this whole topic is my ego's search for a logical answer to my last 2 questions...HAH!

karmarider

Re: Why do anything?

Post by karmarider » Wed May 20, 2009 5:02 am

You'll find our inner/outer purpose soon enough. Enjoy the ride.

johny

Post by johny » Wed May 20, 2009 5:27 am

Do nothing and leave nothing undone. -From Tao Te Ching sort of.
Surrendered laziness is my birth right --Johny
If your post/response was more than 5 lines I probably have not/will not read it. Drop me a PM if you want me to.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Wed May 20, 2009 7:22 am

Welcome Electrophant! There are many threads here on "manifesting a life" and finding your outer purpose. You actually know your outer purpose right now. After the "sound and light show" of initial encounters with Pure Presence, Pure Awareness, you will still be there. Eckhart spent two years on a park bench integrating his initial blow-out shift experience into his life, without losing the immediacy of that immense holistic unity experience. Apparently he succeeded. Your purpose will arrive. Meanwhile, enjoy the ride, but keep your ear close to the ground.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

colinw

Post by colinw » Wed May 20, 2009 8:55 am

That's a lovely post - thank you! :D

Electrophant

Post by Electrophant » Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I guess I'm having trouble with thought. When I'm present, there is no voice, image, sound/music of any kind in my head.

When I notice myself thinking, I realize that is not me, then I almost react to it with the thought that thought is 'wrong.' Then I realize my observation is an egoic judgement and the thinker is just doing its thing....then it REALLY shuts off and I hear all the small sounds and everything I see is bright and ultra-3D and I 'feel' big, like I encompass everything around me.... and there is NO thought --pure joy.

Now, since i do live have a physical form, i interact with this manifested world. This generates many thoughts in daily life...which just is. For example, "I'm hungry, what do I feel like eating?" my mental voice will say. ""Pizza sounds good right now." These are thoughts. They are not me. In fact, 'good' is a judgment of pizza. It is egoic, which is OK. I will either walk to the kitchen, or accept my hungry state, either of which will be my outer purpose at that time...and I will be present.

I know that is a very small-scale example, but all of life's activities are generated by thought. It is what it is.

I find it hard to carry on conversations. I will be totally, intensely focused on the other person....the sounds coming from their mouth, looks, etc.... as well as hearing my own breath, feeling my body internally, and my mind is off and not processing their words. I am totally observant of them and me, and thus don't turn on the thinker to relate, interpret, and communicate back.

In fact, I'm so happy and smiley/laughing during conversation (some times), that people ask me if I'm on drugs/high.

This obviously hurts me at work (sales). My job, which I thought worked hard to get, and am a top performer at, since I had identified with money. But I don't really care about anything anymore. I don't know who I am.

I could totally see how Tolle spent several years smiling/laughing on a park bench. However, my logical mind thinks, "I need money to pay my mortgage, etc.... or I'll be homeless, which is bad."

When I'm fully conscious, I care about nothing. If there are people around, I only have a "feeling" (not a thought or emotion) of WAKE UP! COME JOIN ME, WAKE UP EVERYONE!. That is my only want when present. I can't even verbalize that want, though, I just point at things and laugh harder! EVERYONE LAUGH! That is all i want.

That's the dilemma. When the mind is on, it doesn't want to 'go present' because it goes away and when I'm present, I don't identify with anything in this physical realm --which effects my physical form in a way my mind finds negative. It tells me to get back to life, or I'll lose all I revere (money, house, car, relashionships, thoughts, emotions, etc...)

...and then I realize that voice isn't me, it's just the mind doing its thing.

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue May 26, 2009 6:58 pm

Electrophant wrote:So why even do anything?
Why not?
or
Why do you believe you need a reason?

Why do birds sing? Why do clouds float about? Why do trees grow? Why do the rivers flow towards the oceans?
How can I fulfill my inner purpose and ego-lessly have an outer purpose?!
Why do you believe you have or need a purpose?
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Electrophant wrote:This obviously hurts me at work (sales). My job, which I thought worked hard to get, and am a top performer at, since I had identified with money. But I don't really care about anything anymore.
Play being a saleman...just for the fun of it. No purpose, reason, or why is needed to play. Ask a child why they are playing and you will get a confused look in reply...no reason at all needed to play.

P.S. Episode 44 of the podcast I produce (Out of Our Minds) is about this very topic - "Living Without Purpose". Actually, I am off to produce episode 45 now.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

Electrophant

Post by Electrophant » Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 am

eputkonen wrote: Play being a saleman...just for the fun of it. No purpose, reason, or why is needed to play. Ask a child why they are playing and you will get a confused look in reply...no reason at all needed to play.

P.S. Episode 44 of the podcast I produce (Out of Our Minds) is about this very topic - "Living Without Purpose". Actually, I am off to produce episode 45 now.
Wow. That helps. I often get the feeling this is all a game and nothing here is Real. It's all a big fun game.

Electrophant

Post by Electrophant » Wed May 27, 2009 5:44 pm

The other thing I'm wondering: is all thought ego?

If I am totally present, totally observant, I find it hard to communicate with people without using the thinker to recall, associate, or speak...which is of course comes from a learned perspective.

What is your take on this, everyone?

kiki

Post by kiki » Wed May 27, 2009 6:54 pm

The other thing I'm wondering: is all thought ego?
Here's my take: No. Mind is available in order to interact, explore, understand, analyze, compute - in other words, to negotiate the world of form. Ego arises out of mind; it is a specialized group of thoughts that "coagulate" into the sense of a separate entity. Without mind you couldn't do your taxes. It's ego that rebels at the thought of taxes.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Thu May 28, 2009 4:52 am

Electrophant wrote:The other thing I'm wondering: is all thought ego?
No. Assuming there is a thinker thinking the thoughts is ego.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Thu May 28, 2009 12:33 pm

eputkonen wrote:No. Assuming there is a thinker thinking the thoughts is ego.
Interesting. But who is assuming there is a thinker thinking?

Tony-S-Ma

Post by Tony-S-Ma » Thu May 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Interesting. But who is assuming there is a thinker thinking?

The not well developed thinking function. It can not get rid of the thought that "there is no individual self" :lol:

Individuality is reality which some fools try to deny with logic and reason. Juggling type of thinking is like a dog chasing its own tail.

This fool knows that it is better not to make such foolish assumption after studying Ramana Maharshi.

Making an enemy out of one's ego is more foolish than committing suicide.

Whoever takes a fool seriously only fools himself. Does this mean if one does not take a fool seriously is not foolish?

Denying one's intuition that one exists as an individual is the biggest fool of all in the awakening business.

Talk about thinking too much. Who is really thinking too much here?

Hotheadedly Tony

Robin

Post by Robin » Thu May 28, 2009 3:51 pm

What about allowing love to bless others. Charity without seeking yourself? Like that state of mind Jesus had when he said give everything to the poor and follow me. Love god, your neighbour like yourself, not to forget to love your enemies. Oh, boy there is a lot to do. I guess if there is some ego left in you it will pop up quickly. Btw how do you know that the satori you experience is not a little "drug" cussion the ego is sitting on? ;-))

blessings
Robin