Awakening and Children

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
OneLove

Awakening and Children

Post by OneLove » Tue May 26, 2009 7:54 am

I'm thinking of awakening and its effects on children. I've seen that Eckhart has published a children's book designed to awaken youngin's. I'm seriously doubting the ethics of this. This is a journey that we've taken upon ourselves to do. We chose. Now young children aren't the best decision makers, and they definitely aren't very good at making huge decisions like career choices, religious beliefs, spouses, etc... Is it really a smart thing to be teaching our kids such radical ideas while they are in such a crucial developmental stage? Tolles philosophy is in fact anti-developmental, it's a stripping away, a deconstruction. Is it really smart to be deconstructing our kids? WE don't even know what we're really getting into... we really have no clue. It's simply irresponsible and arrogant to feed it to our kids as truth when they are so vulnerable.

Sighclone

Re: Awakening and Children

Post by Sighclone » Tue May 26, 2009 8:02 am

Very interesting point, One Love. Especially since he was quite clear in stating that ego-dominance is a normal developmental stage up to about age 30 (in one of the Oprah Webinars.) On the other hand, since ET experiences and believes that our true nature is not egoic, perhaps an early understanding and appreciation for this is important.

Needless to say, since neither of us has read the book, we should defer to others for a more definitive interpretation.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 am

I haven't read the book. What we do to children is already highly damaging as it is; the very reason that we're in this egoic mess is that each generation propagates thoughts, beliefs and concepts as the truth. It's inevitable that we create concepts of what awakening is, and it seems to be rather common to project that when we are awakened, we will be less capable in worldly affairs like money or politics, and we will be less inclined to accomplish...this of course isn't true at all. It is true that we are less affected by conditioning, and so certain social institutions which depend on conditioning might become very different: the military, corporations...Krishnamurti said there have been good things that have come out this evolutionary mistep, such as education, medicine, art, and the rest, at the price of happiness.

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Tue May 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Very good question, indeed.
When it comes to spirituality, children are at least as good as us at making decisions. Just don't try to force a certain view on life.
I would suggest to ask gentle questions from time to time, such as "Why do you think we are here on Earth?" "Why do we do the things we do?" "What do you think we are?" "What if the world is not what we see with our limited senses?" etc.
You will see rather quickly if the child is interested or not. You may ask a question and the child may reply in 1-2 years, etc.
They usually go back to being absorbed by their games very quickly, just as we do with news/talk/work/housekeeping.
So, I don't see any harm in asking some questions from time to time. The answer may come when they are in their thirties.

OneLove

Post by OneLove » Tue May 26, 2009 6:59 pm

karmarider wrote:when we are awakened, we will be less capable in worldly affairs like money or politics, and we will be less inclined to accomplish...this of course isn't true at all.
It's true that you don't loose any of your capabilities when your awakened, you just drastically loose interest in these kinds of things. Think, how do you convince a child without fear to get a job, go to school, make a career choice, take care of himself ? It's pretty near impossible. Now imagine trying to convince an awakened child to do these things! Not going to happen. If you look at most children, they are more than happy to live off this parents. Even me, a big child (19) can hardly see reason to go live my own life. It's all based on self image. "It will be like this if I get a career/job/girlfriend/new house". Awakening adults have the benefit of riding out their "phantom ego". They have all of these roles they had already previously established themselves, but awakening children do not.

am101171

Post by am101171 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:04 am

I can tell you that thanks to awakening i bring a lot of compasion to my daughter and to my nephews and they really like to be around me and feel secure with me. That has been my experience with them. I dont think you have to tell them anything is just teaching by example.

Ive always been a very achieving person and everyone that knows me seem to recognize my intelect, but i always seem to have soard of issues with learning and since i use presence my thinking is clearer and my learning abilities have been enhanced so much i feel a big diference.

Im still strugling with other serious issues myself, but i havent seen one thing wrong with being present with children so far.

hope it helps

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:37 am

OneLove wrote:It's true that you don't loose any of your capabilities when your awakened, you just drastically loose interest in these kinds of things. Think, how do you convince a child without fear to get a job, go to school, make a career choice, take care of himself ? It's pretty near impossible. Now imagine trying to convince an awakened child to do these things! Not going to happen. If you look at most children, they are more than happy to live off this parents. Even me, a big child (19) can hardly see reason to go live my own life. It's all based on self image. "It will be like this if I get a career/job/girlfriend/new house". Awakening adults have the benefit of riding out their "phantom ego". They have all of these roles they had already previously established themselves, but awakening children do not.
There is a tendency to equate awakening with a low-energy, detached, apathetic state. This can be-and has been in my experience--a temporary symptom of awakening. But soon after, intentions arise, action happens. It flows, and there is no need to drive.

I don't think that if children awaken, they will lose the motivation to learn how to survive or socialize or accomplish. But it's impossible to say for sure. The original question was whether it's irresponsible to teach children about awakening. I don't think it is.

What would it be like if half of humanity was awakened?

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:01 pm

Children are born awake - Pure Awareness incarnate - fully present.
As parents and society in general "awakens" - as there is a gradual shift in perspective - maybe we can stop insisting on putting them to sleep through the forced conformity (through language) to the historical illusions of generations of attitudes and dogma (Tolle's "The Collective Egoic Dysfunction").
I teach children nothing - I honor their Awareness(Presence) and we joyfully explore the world of form together - they show me how.
The greatest "Guru" is a 2 year old child.

Peace
Last edited by HermitLoon on Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace

Juniper22

Post by Juniper22 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:14 pm

OneLove wrote:I'm thinking of awakening and its effects on children. I've seen that Eckhart has published a children's book designed to awaken youngin's. I'm seriously doubting the ethics of this.
Why do you bring up ethics when discussing awakening... Has awakening anything to do with morals? To me morality is more man-made jargon.
This is a journey that we've taken upon ourselves to do.
What journey?
Now young children aren't the best decision makers, and they definitely aren't very good at making huge decisions like career choices, religious beliefs, spouses, etc...

I agree with Hermitloon, children are more awake than most adults. Why do you feel the need to restrict awakening in others anyway (young or old)... do you think you are awake? Would you rather children grow up into the left-brain robots most adults have become. As far as kids not knowing what is right for them - my first cousin said he was going to be a police officer since he started talking and my sister said she`d be a doctor. Both are now working in said professions.
Is it really a smart thing to be teaching our kids such radical ideas while they are in such a crucial developmental stage?
Can you please point out some of these radical ideas you`re getting at, and what do you really know about "the crucial developmental stage" in children? Can I change the wording here to the crucial brianwashing stage? Do you honestly feel that the education system is crucial to human development? I`ll tell you one thing the education system does - it kills genius.
Tolles philosophy is in fact anti-developmental
No.... Tolles philosophy TO YOU is anti-developmental.
it's a stripping away, a deconstruction. Is it really smart to be deconstructing our kids?
You don`t get it do you.
WE don't even know what we're really getting into...
Do you think the egoic you (the egoic system) knows better? - Trust life.
"Don`t think of goodness; don`t think of evil; at this instant, what is your original face?" Hui Neng

am101171

Post by am101171 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Children are born awake - Pure Awareness incarnate - fully present.
As parents and society in general "awakens"
I think this quite true.

Usually i strugle a bit to be awake but not when around children, its as easy as wathcing them. Its not like a bring awakeness to them ,the bring it to me and i just let them.

Mesquared

Post by Mesquared » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:53 pm

What would it be like if half of humanity was awakened?
Now, there's a thought of the future I can't help but revel in. A future now, that is.....well said, karmarider!

HL, you captured my feelings on children exactly!

You should see my son experience wind! Oh, the joy!

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm

:D
Peace

Tara

Post by Tara » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 pm

I have a almost 2 year old grandson staying with me and I could just sit and watch him all day (well when he is not cranky:) I can "see" how we are conditioning him. He learned the word dog for dog but called all animals dog..now he is learning labels of each animal. He plays with little cars and trucks and makes the noises so well. Just the other day he came out of my daughters room with a little purse, put it on his shoulder and tried to put a bracelet on his ear..so cute..but of course everyone in the house hold had an opinion and gave off the vibes and word as to how wrong this is.

I see no time in him, no worries about past or future, no stress. I see wonderment, amazement, love and fresh pure energy in him.

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:14 pm

I wrote this for my daughter who was frustrated with her 2yr. old son :

..............FREEDOM..........

I sense I have Complete Freedom

I am totally self-centered and mostly selfish.
I have no responsibility for - and feel no obligation to - anyone.
I have no regrets - feel no shame or guilt - for anything.
I don’t really care what anyone thinks of me.
I am never lonely or sad.

I have no stress and no ambition because I don’t need or want anything
more than I have and don’t feel the need to change or to conform.
I resist any attempt to control me or to tell me what to do.

I spend every minute of my Human Experience doing exactly what I
want to do - and am free to go wherever instinct or curiosity leads me.

Unless it impacts me directly, I really don’t care what anyone else does.
I view greed, conflict, stress and wars with amused detachment.
I accept the reality of What Is and don’t feel the need to judge
or to try and effect change.

I instinctively “bond” with some people and don’t with others.
I only willingly interact with other people if they are non-judgmental,
don’t demand anything from me, pique my curiosity and if it is a
pleasant experience for me and for them.

I have no fear or dread of anything except physical pain.
Death is an illusion - I am the Creator having a Human Experience.

I feel a special attraction to the non-human natural world because I
can enjoy the beauty and perfection without any demands on me.

I am what I am - a two year old Child.

(This is also my current "state " - I often get a lot of flack when people read this :wink: )

Peace
Peace

Glycine

Post by Glycine » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Very nice poem, HermitLoon!
And I love the surprise ending!