The Age of Awakening

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.

Re: The Age of Awakening

Postby Peaceman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:47 pm

"Suffering is a function of two variables: pain itself and the resistance to the pain. By resistance, I mean interference with the natural flow pattern of the pain. Unfortunately, resistance starts deep within the pre-conscious processing of the nervous system.

Thus, by the time we are consciously aware of a wave of pain, it has already been congealed into a mass of suffering. That is why pain is equated with suffering by most people.

But suffering equals pain multiplied by resistance (roughly speaking). This is true whether the pain is physical, or something emotional like anger, sadness, fear, embarrassment, or remorse. If you consistently apply this insight to various types of pain, the habit of resistance gets trained away at progressively deeper levels of neural processing. Eventually, you are able to have the literally earth-shaking experience of pure pain. Pure pain is pain unmixed with resistance. Pure pain causes little suffering, no matter how intense it may be. Moreover, pure pain purifies. Its energy kneads the substance of your soul, working out the kinks and lumps for you.

Pure pain purifies, but suffering makes a person brittle and dehumanized. Those who follow the path of self-mortification need to be very clear about this point."
Last edited by Peaceman on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peaceman

Postby Larryfroot » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Wise words. Although I would perhaps suggest we have a loving attitude to our own pain whilst finding the pain (and attendant suffering) of others a matter of compassion and helpfulness to reduce that pain wherever possible. Deciding to transform ones own attitude to pain is one thing. To apply the same standard to the pain of others quite another. I always speak for myself when I talk about moving beyond suffering, making the pain my friend and such like (I have been in constant chronic and or acute physical pain for 16 years). I am happy to talk about it, but as far as being so blind as to think that gives me the go-ahead to be cavalier about the pain of others (not that I am suggesting for one moment that you are, I'm just pointing out a possible difficulty here), well, Ii would rather not go there. I can tolerate my own pain, whilst finding the pain of others an impetus to compassionate action.

But still, very wise words Peaceman. Its nice to meet someone practicing along similar lines! Lots of love, LF
Many a mickle muches a markle.
Larryfroot

Re: Enjoying your comments

Postby PhyllisM » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:25 am

The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not 'the thinker.' The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter -- beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace -- rise from beyond the mind. You begin to awaken." Eckhart Tolle, "The Power of Now"

I'm new to this discussion group. I'm enjoying the heck out of your comments. I have been envious of those who had found the present moment, the Now, although envy is ego-based, and I wondered if I could ever figure out how to get to that place. I read in "A New Earth" about focusing on breathing as a way to get past thinking. I tried something else: when my cat, Louie, came to lie down beside me in bed,I put my ear to his chest to hear it rumble with his purring while I gave him a massage, and felt intense joy. I don't recall thinking anything at all...just reveling in the moment. I wonder--was I in the Now, or just getting a peek at it?

Phyllis M.
PhyllisM

Postby eagle2phoenix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:55 am

mistral wrote:I have come to see that we don’t need to kill anything; we don’t need to ‘kill our ego’.

I see us all as sort of like a little flower bud, sweet and tender, all closed up and about to bloom, and we should not try to rip it open or separate out parts of ourself that we don’t think belong there. It seems wiser to bring water and nourishment and gentle sunlight to this perfectly ready bud....Flowers about to bloom would prefer the gentle and tender gardener.
Love to all, Mistral

Truly agree with what Mistral stated here. In fact, we do not need to kill all the weeds in the garden. Weeds are good. They add to the fun of gardening. And some weeds are actually healing herbs! So we all need some weeds (ego) to live life. If there is no ego, we will all be holy beings and there will be no forum to bring us together. That is perhaps like our ultimate home in the Source. :D
Life is fascinating. Nature is beautiful. Live life with nature.
eagle2phoenix

Postby Larryfroot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 am

Mistral, you have made such an important point here. For years I wrestled with my ego using the weapons of the ego to try and do so. I resented resentment, was frustrated about always being frustrated, angry with my anger even. Until one day I realised that one cannot conquer the ego. Its impossible. Its an oxymoron, almost. Conquering is an ego pastime. At the end of the day the ego is there to be relinquished in love, not to be overthrown by an image we have of a spiritual warrior. And as for all my own wrestling with the ego goes, well, the ego was in the struggle; both in my struggle against it and its own struggle against the reality of union. The ego is an experiment in separation.
Many a mickle muches a markle.
Larryfroot

Postby kiki » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:37 pm

Welcome to the forum, Phyllis.

I tried something else: when my cat, Louie, came to lie down beside me in bed,I put my ear to his chest to hear it rumble with his purring while I gave him a massage, and felt intense joy. I don't recall thinking anything at all...just reveling in the moment. I wonder--was I in the Now, or just getting a peek at it?

Well, you are always in Now but Louie helped you get a taste of what it is like. ET takes great stock in pets and how they can teach us about presence.

"Now" is always here but attention is usually placed on what's going on in the mind, on some "object" like thought or emotion, or some "thing" that can then be labeled by the mind. The silence and stillness of presence, however, is ever present and can be "noticed" even in the midst of this activity. Why? Because what you are is what it all arises within, and that is sensed as silence and stillness.

Once again, welcome.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby nothing » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:47 pm

This is what complicated is not.

That is the answer.
nothing

Postby Sighclone » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Welcome, nothing!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby kiki » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:02 pm

A warm welcome to new member, nothing. And to all, welcome everything.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby aquarius123esoteric » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:48 pm

'we do not need to kill all the weeds in the garden.'

Ah, it’s all a matter of perception! Who decides in the first place what is a weed and what is not. See the little Daisy - especially during the deepest darkest winter months, when its cheerful little face peeps at you from someone’s lawn. Or who dares to declare the glorious dandelion and the sweet buttercups to be weeds? As ever, one person’s meat is another one’s poison – or rather one person’s weed is another one’s healing herb. Many of us are so blind!

Who is blind?
The one who cannot see another world.
Who is dumb?
The one who cannot speak a word of love at the right time.
Who is poor?
The one who is plagued by too many desires.
Who is rich?
The one whose heart is contented.

Anon

With love and light,
Aquarius
So long as this you fail to see:
That death precedes re-birth!
A gloomy guest you’ll always be,
Upon this darkling Earth.

Goethe
aquarius123esoteric

Re: Enjoying your comments

Postby Ananda » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 am

PhyllisM wrote:
The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not 'the thinker.' The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter -- beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace -- rise from beyond the mind. You begin to awaken." Eckhart Tolle, "The Power of Now"

I'm new to this discussion group. I'm enjoying the heck out of your comments. I have been envious of those who had found the present moment, the Now, although envy is ego-based, and I wondered if I could ever figure out how to get to that place. I read in "A New Earth" about focusing on breathing as a way to get past thinking. I tried something else: when my cat, Louie, came to lie down beside me in bed,I put my ear to his chest to hear it rumble with his purring while I gave him a massage, and felt intense joy. I don't recall thinking anything at all...just reveling in the moment. I wonder--was I in the Now, or just getting a peek at it?

Phyllis M.

Are you here?

Yes?

Good, found yourself.
Ananda

Postby Barb » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Larryfroot wrote:For years I wrestled with my ego using the weapons of the ego to try and do so. I resented resentment, was frustrated about always being frustrated, angry with my anger even. Until one day I realised that one cannot conquer the ego. Its impossible. Its an oxymoron, almost. Conquering is an ego pastime. At the end of the day the ego is there to be relinquished in love, not to be overthrown by an image we have of a spiritual warrior. And as for all my own wrestling with the ego goes, well, the ego was in the struggle; both in my struggle against it and its own struggle against the reality of union. The ego is an experiment in separation.

Hi LF; I know this is an old post, but it's the first time i've read it and it speaks very much of where i am in the journey. I've developed this odd relationship with the 'little me' since discovering awareness. Sometimes ego just frustrates itself beyond belief, other times i feel this strange affection for it - like i would feel for an incorrigible pet or something. Thanks for your words of wisdom. I think it will help.

Barb
Barb

Postby Ananda » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:26 pm

I've developed this odd relationship with the 'little me' since discovering awareness

When you are aware of awareness, which is Self awareness, then where is the 'little me'? Where is Ego, individuality, in Self awareness? It is gone like a puff of smoke, no relationship, no other, no duality, reality shining as itself only.
Ananda

Postby gordon8888 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 am

Take Spirituality in baby steps. You cant stop your thinking, which is where the ego resides. You can
'cultivate' the Witness which is your higher consciousness that witnesses your thinking.
By doing this you create a space between tour thoughts and your true Self. [which is consciouness itself].
And so slowly burn up the ego.
Peace, Dennis.
gordon8888

Postby Sighclone » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Welcome gordon8888 - wise words!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

PreviousNext

Return to General Eckhart Tolle Discussion