AFFIRMATIONS AND GOALS: Danger or benefit?

Manifesting your reality or the Law of Attraction

AFFIRMATIONS AND GOALS: Danger or benefit?

Postby innerpeace2u » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:53 am

Good afternoon,

As much as there has been wide discussion on THE SECRET and Law of Attraction there is a very important component I haven't seen addressed yet. I have read numerous books, searched on youtube and of course sifted through this forum.

We can appreciate commonality between Tolle's pointers and LOA (Dyer, Abraham Hicks, Neale Walsch etc) advocates. Some of these would be expressing gratitude, love, acceptance and clarity. Where I find it starts to digress is when Tolle, Krishnamurti, or Gangaji suggest to focus, dropping mental concepts and simply be a witness.

Stop. Observe. Breathe. That's pretty much the formula.

LOA proponents would suggest that we create our reality so that if in the process we can create wordly abundance through affirmations (I am rich, I am powerful, I am a chiseled sex god) and visualizations then what is the harm? After were we not all we were meant to be abundant.

The danger is, from what I understand ,energy being redirected from the main question "Who am I?" to more egoic pleasures. Eckhart in one of his audios cautions us about using affirmations and doesn't really say much about the importance of goals. Krishnamurti seems to go further by implying whenever you create a situation between "what is" and "what could be" then it becomes a struggle and just going round and round. Possible result is bigger toys with more stress to balance the dichotomy. Now, if we go back to just the observing on a park bench, we are supposed to be inspired with the next steps on what to do.... what if that doesn't happen and you starve in the process?

Many have also suggested to do both. Have your cake and eat it... while focusing on "Who am I?" there is no harm in attracting what you want, some of which may not even egoic but provide a level of comfort.

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
innerpeace2u

Re: AFFIRMATIONS AND GOALS: Danger or benefit?

Postby Ananda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 am

Hello there

I see this 'law of attraction' as making the best out of a bad situation, or like taking a placebo. Might have a nice termporay effect, but it's not going to provide lasting satisfaction, nor solve the inherent suffering that results from ignorance.

I definately would not try to mix the books which talk about the law of attraction with the books that talk about self realization. I'd go as far as to say that the 'Law of Attraction' is complete nonsense and works on a level of ignorance, and the authors are merely deluded people with good intentions.

Inevitably, one leads to the truth, the other leads to a more comfortable falseness.
Ananda

Postby enigma » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:53 am

Even the ability to create a "more comfortable falseness" is a matter of being sufficiently conscious and aware, and the irony is that once one is aware enough to really be able to manifest what one desires, one no longer desires it. Hehe.

The 'LOA' is always 'operating' and is not waiting for anyone to put it into practice. Getting what one needs is a matter of getting out of the way, in the same way that acceptance is the absence of judgment, nonattachment is the absence of attachment and Truth is the absence of false knowledge, and presence is the absence of 'me'.
enigma

Postby karmarider » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:02 am

The LOA is quite a sociological phenomenon and demonstrates how religions may have evolved, where Truth becomes obscured by fear and desire. The LOA is attractive of course because it plays to the desperation of desires--what's better than being able to manifest what the 'me' wants just by thinking about it? The inconvenient evidence that the world's starving and abused have not been able to think a better reality for themselves is not much of an obstacle for most egos. And, the LOA has worked beautifully for the original proponents of it, who are swimming in royalties.

You can’t go wrong by jumping on the LOA bandwagon, and in fact, people like me are inconvenient to the ego’s drive. Is the LOA the deliverance that unabashed materialism has been waiting for? Or is just snake-oil? To know this we must have a clear consciousness. Ironically, in uncluttered awareness, we don't have much use for the LOA and this is why the awake hardly ever talk about it. Arjuna Ardagh puts it nicely: to the awake, the LOA is like a billionaire begging in the street. Adyashanti laughs it off: it's pretty good, he says, for manifesting convenient parking spaces.

Awaken, and see for yourself.
Last edited by karmarider on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
karmarider

Postby enigma » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:19 am

Yes. Abundance, or lack of, is already an expression of one's awareness. I mean abundance in terms of having what one needs in every aspect of their lives, and of course one may be materially abundant and still be quite deprived. Also, one may have very little in a material way, and have all he needs. This sort of abundance is not generally what is referred to by the LOA since it comes about through the release of such needs as the LOA is meant to address, which makes such apparent laws irrelevant.
enigma

Postby innerpeace2u » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:48 pm

It sounds like the feedback so far is leaning towards not wasting any time in LOA, rather to really find ourselves, put in zero effort to attachment, pay attention to your surroundings and the truth will show up. I like the billionaire begging in the street analogy mentioned; nonetheless meeting certain standards of security and comfort in the world of form is needed. For this one is asked to have a bit of faith.

The thing I would say I certainly agree with on LOA is that there is nothing wrong with wealth as long as it is acheived in the appropriate manner. Then again, I'm not seeking material wealth per se, just enough to live comfortably.

Then we come back to the circle. If one wants to lead a comfortable but not extravagent life so that they can then re-energize on "WHO AM I?". Its much more difficult when one is worried about their next rent, or paycheck and the body is in physical pain.

My main response to this would be once your "inner-house" is in order and your soul is in alignment with the source then there is no choice but to trust all will be well. There is only so much we can intellectualize this until we each have to find out for ourselves.
innerpeace2u

Postby karmarider » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:45 am

innerpeace2u wrote:There is only so much we can intellectualize this until we each have to find out for ourselves.

Yes.
karmarider

Postby karmarider » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:48 am

By some coincidence, if there is such a thing, I got this from Gina Lake today, regarding a quotation of hers I used on my site:

Thank you for posting my article on positive thinking and the problem with the Law of Attraction. I'm glad you're offering such a well-written and thoughtful forum on this subject. My book "Anatomy of Desire: How to Be Happy Even When You Don't Get What You Want" is on the subject of desire, and it presents a counterpoint to the Law of Attraction. It is self-published and available on Amazon.com and will be published by Hampton Roads in 2011. You have a lovely website and express your ideas very well. Blessings...Gina Lake
karmarider

Postby ZenCowgirl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:58 am

Here is another way to put it: to use the Law of Attraction you must ask the question "What do I want?"

The (correct) answer is: "God" - or whatever you call God.

If your answer is anything different, then get a job, make sense of the stock market, save money, impress capitalists who have already made money, tow the line, stay up at night and worry, make lists, chart things, take pills, think, re-calculate, spin, spin, spin.

If the answer is "God," then God.
ZenCowgirl

Postby Sighclone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:45 am

"Consider the lillies of the field, how they grow. They toil not, neither do they spin. Yet even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these." Matthew 6:28-29. And quoted by ET in ANE, page 268. Yes, we have to trust, completely. Sometimes poverty and pain are the lessons to remind us of this. Earlier, in Matthew 6:25 - "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth."

Eckhart talks about your primary purpose being to wake up. He also speaks about the fulfillment of our primary purpose is "laying the foundation for a new reality, a new earth."

Then he goes on to say that your secondary purpose(s) will arise in the present moment.

Namaste, Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby James » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:31 am

Affirmations and goals never worked out for me, I gave it a good try years ago, and the more I tried the more those things slipped away, until finally there was a giving up.

There may be side effects to awakening (in addition to inner contentment), i.e. better health, more supply etc. However as long as there is an ulterior motive attached to awakening, that will act as a barrier, because the heart and mind are divided. The side effects of awakening are like the "wake" from a boat moving through the water. The boat moves through the water because that's what boats do, it is not to create the wake.

However don't feel bad or unholy if you desire things and conditions, this is not about comparing oneself to others, should thinking or new age guilt. Do what you feel inclined to do and enjoy it, if that is how life moves through you. There is no reason why you can't acknowledge your true nature and Presence while seeking. Everyone and everything is an expression of the one life, even if there is a veiling or ignorance of one's true nature. Even that veiling is life expressed as veiling. Those desires may need to be "spun out" or burned off. Most people don't truly awaken until all forms of seeking, including spiritual seeking, are burned off or seen to be futile. So you may want to play around with affirmations and LOA and see what happens as an experiment. What's the worse that could happen? It doesn't work for you, or it does work but you still aren't fulfilled. In the process you may learn more about yourself and how the mind works.

I heard that lately Wayne Dyer has been introducing more stuff on Self Realization, teaching people that this is where true fulfillment lies. I see affirmations, LOA and manifesting as a step along the way to awakening. It is not important how long it takes. It takes what it takes. In the big picture it doesn't matter and time is a concept. as Jesus reportedly said: "the first will be last and the last will be first."

james
"Awareness is already present, already here, already now; before you try to be more.... In that recognition there's no effort, there's just acknowledgment"..."Awareness is not something you can understand, it's something you are."
James

Postby Sighclone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:44 am

Thanks for this, James:
The side effects of awakening are like the "wake" from a boat moving through the water. The boat moves through the water because that's what boats do, it is not to create the wake.

I love the analogy...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby innerpeace2u » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 pm

I'm amazed at the quality of inspiration, integrity and writing on this forum. I am very grateful for the responses. Thank you.

I was anticipating there to be more of a support for LOA, so in a way it is encouraging to discover people are really interested in how Gangaji describes as "the diamond in your pocket", the true focus on self-inquiry rather than all the ther "silly nonsense" Krishnamurti calls it. I stumbled into one of Eckhart's pointers I totally forgot about. He actually talks about goals on p105, Oneness with all life "When you add a goal to the enjoyment of what you do, the energy-field or vibrational frequency changes." Then goes on to mention that as long as you don't get lost in the goal, you create enthusiasm like an arrow moving towards the target; remembering to enjoy the journey.

This is as close as I have come to finding a similarity between LOA and present moment. Another caveat to add is be careful what you wish for -as Tolle mentions, the two ways of suffering are not getting what you want and getting what you want!

So, how do we just "Be" if say we are unemployed, unmotivated, and broke? Does it take an extra leap of faith to be "aware" while we focus on our breath on a park bench, to allow for whatever to happen, happen- or an impulse to come forth in the midst of pure attention before the stomach begins to feast on itself? (playing devil's advocate here :) )
innerpeace2u

Postby Sighclone » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:35 pm

Life brings us what we need. If you are starving on the park bench, what stories are you running which keep you away from the charity hall, the storefront church which serves Jesus with the sandwiches, Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, LaborReady, or trusting life and just holding out a cup? Are these the ego-stories of the moment?: "They keep preaching Jesus over there"..." My family hates me."..."I refuse to eat that garbage food -- I'm worth more than that."

Take your pick. It sure as hell is a great chance for pure surrender. My experience is that synchronicity will take over and some form of "angel" will appear if you are truly surrendered. Eckhart won a $1,000 lottery the day his rent was due, before publication of PON. I can't tell you how many times serendipity has entered my life. When you are fully surrendered, in my opinion, you are a huge transceiver for Being, and Life is tuned in...there may be gold in the box you are sitting on, or an apple tree just around the corner.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby innerpeace2u » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:22 am

Hi Andy,

That was great to hear that you feel regarding serendipity that happens when one comes into alignment with source and acceptance becomes a part of life.

Would you then go on to suggest that many who have surrendered and with a clear mind and good heart attract these events? This is such a tough one to prove as we don't know how people think when they say "I've given myself over to God (or source) and have been stomped on". This could either just be their own interpretation, or leading a fragmented life without realizing they are doing so.
innerpeace2u

Next

Return to Law of Attraction