Science and Nonduality Conference

Science and Nonduality Conference

Postby Sighclone » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:15 pm

It's October 22-25, 2009 in San Rafael, CA.

This is cosponsored by the Nondual Wisdom and Psychotherapy Group (Prendergast et al) and has some good speakers. Here is the link:

http://www.scienceandnonduality.com/

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Re: Science and Nonduality Conference

Postby kiki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks Andy. I've looked at two trailers so far that will be shown at the conference - both look good. Here is something I found on Leap - The Movie:

Imagine that you are a computer programmer. You create a fast-paced game where a single player solves puzzles as quickly as possible as they move from one location to the next. You lay out the story and the possible gameplay choices. You hide the rewards and plant the obstacles. You are the master of your world.

Now imagine that, to test the programming, you play the game as if you don’t know where the triumphs and pitfalls are. It’s a fun game, and, because there are no errors in your programming, you play a long time. In fact, you play so long you forget that you programmed the game in the first place. You forget that it’s a game at all. The game becomes your reality.

This concept of being lost in an illusion perceived as reality is what the new movie “Leap!” is all about. We are all creators, the film’s makers say, and the illusion is that we are individuals who must struggle. The feature-length documentary’s creators, Chad Cameron and Isaac Allen, two corporate cubicle escapees, interviewed more than twenty visionaries, scientists and authors who all agree that life as we know it is an illusion; true peace can only be found when we run, walk, or leap away from our perceived reality, give up the control we work so hard to maintain, and let the universe determine how our lives flow.

http://www.myworldspirit.com/new-age-mo ... -the-movie

The quote is reminiscent of Chuck Hillig's book, "Enlightenment for Beginners".
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:27 am

I ordered leap-the-movie. It is $20 at leapmovie.com. Will review later...

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby Sighclone » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:04 pm

I am going to the conference, October 22-25. Gary Weber will be there. I'd be happy to meet with any forum members who will be there, time premitting, in San Rafael...Please PM me.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby heidi » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:33 pm

Just watched Leap!
Happy to have leapt and continue to be leaping.
It's a good pointer and leaves me smiling. :)
I recommend it.
Heidi
http://www.heidimayo.com
wonderment on the third wave
heidi

Postby Sighclone » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:47 am

I just watched it also. Fundamentally it is a nondual version of "What the Bleep." -- Same style and tone, different participants and no subtext plotline (the Marlee Matlin role.) Lots of people saying that reality is an illusion. Very few discussing what the conceptual and spiritual realization of that means in our lives. A fair amount of talk about bliss. And somereally funny out-takes! But for my money, give me Ramana or Nisargadatta or Adya any day.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby Sighclone » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:51 am

Reporting from the Conference today; It's great. Had lunch with Gary Weber, spoke with Loch Kelly, Stephen Bodian, John Prendergast, others. Heard a quote today from a Buddhist: "After awakening, motivation for action comes from compassion."

Consider our Forum reasonably well represented, if only by me :) . If someone else is here, please PM me. I'll summarize in a long post later.

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

Postby mmy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:06 am

Andy, quick! Rush back to the conference and find Stephan Bodian again and gush over him for his great book. :lol:

Look forward to hearing more from the conference, enjoy.
mmy

Postby Sighclone » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:00 am

mmy -

I already did! More later...

Andy
Sighclone

Postby student2u » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Andy,

How did the conference go? :)

Were there more concepts, ideas and images provided?

It appears to me that nonduality is only possible when one gets rid of all those stuff.........by letting go of everything in this external physical world..........which does not mean that one will lose everything for living in the human world.........................just letting go truly in spirit.........

Namaste
The Truth is revealed when the mind is completely out of the way...
student2u

Postby Sighclone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm still working up a longer review of the SAND. What was particularly interesting was the huge difference between the two tracks. One track was the science guys scrambling around trying to show how their favorite theory of the universe actually complied with the fundamental trope of nonduality: the primacy of consciousness. At the end, their fundamental message was two-fold: 1) See How Smart I Am, and 2) Whew...all this nonduality stuff, which is compelling to a lot of people, is possibly pointed to by natural laws. The first message tended to isolate the science guys and their big egos from the rest of the conference, but the second message was very interesting -- why did these scientists feel they had to address nonduality and consciousness? Of course, it is Heisenberg, Bell's theorem, the Copenhagen interpretation, Schroedinger's cat and all the other unrefutable experimental evidence from Quantum Mechanics that Consciousness is the key to all of it. The science guys are really really stuck. All their arm-waving and hoping and wishing that consciousness will go away and not be part of the dualistic "Theory of Everything" is coming up way short.

The other track was the psychotherapists. These folks, including way more women, by the way, tended to focus on the use of a nondual modality, a shared experience of Unity in the therapeutic session. They dealt with suffering, buried trauma, release, little glimmers of awakening and how to listen. They had body-awareness sessions, case studies, meditation and chanting, yoga, etc...it was way more touchy-feely, way less cerebral, and much easier to follow.

Not for me to judge. I've got to get a hold of the DVD set from the conference to view some of the concurrent sessions I had to miss...Overall, it was very interesting, with many international 'heavy-weights' there, despite relatively few spiritual teachers. That's forgivable since it was not a conference for spiritual teaching.

Namaste, Andy
Sighclone

Postby student2u » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info, Andy.............

Not for me to judge. I've got to get a hold of the DVD set from the conference to view some of the concurrent sessions I had to miss...Overall, it was very interesting, with many international 'heavy-weights' there, despite relatifvely few spiritual teachers. That's forgiveable since it was not a conference for spiritual teaching.

Okay, not judging, but we can have a closer look at what they are really about...............true? :wink:

You said it yourself,
The science guys are really really stuck. All their arm-waving and hoping and wishing that consciousness will go away and not be part of the dualistic "Theory of Everything" is coming up way short.

.......as we know, they are stuck because "nonduality" or "nonduality" with the Consciousness of the Universe is beyond science................or not...........depending on where one is at and how one looks at it..................

The other track was the psychotherapists. These folks, including way more women, by the way, tended to focus on the use of a nondual modality, a shared experience of Unity in the therapeutic session. They dealt with suffering, buried trauma, release, little glimmers of awakening and how to listen. They had body-awareness sessions, case studies, meditation and chanting, yoga, etc...it was way more touchy-feely, way less cerebral, and much easier to follow.

The psychotherapists are merely attempting to solve the "problems" at the same level where the problems were created. The "problems" were created by the conditioned human mind in the first place while in the ultimate Trth there are no "problems". Problems are illusions. The Universal Consciousness (the Higher Intelligence) does not give any "problems" in the world of forms validity. So in Reality, there are no "problems" to be solved, only humans to be awakened from their conditioned mind....

.....nonduality is only possible when we are sincerely willing to choose to let go of all forms and live the simplest and most natural life possible........making nonduality into a goal itself turns nonduality into a form and becomes "problematic" to reaching such a "goal"..........so one also needs to let go of wanting nonduality to be truly One with All.............naturally.........effortlessly.........

Namaste
student2u

Postby Sighclone » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:41 pm

There is a general consensus among nondual therapists that during the process of awakening, and even after the event, there remain many conditioned behaviors and images which may need cognitive attention, deeper exposure to presence, and transmuting. A good review of this is contained in "The Sacred Mirror" and "Listening From the Heart of Silence." These books contain essays by long-time therapists who have, to my sensing, generally awakened. Another fine book is "Toward a Psychology of Awakening" by John Welwood.

Andy
Sighclone

Postby student2u » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks again for the info.......Andy

.......is it true that it is necessary to follow some books or one can just follow his or her heart? ........books seem to offer nothing but more ideas or concenpts with one's efforts to follow..........while no trying is the key to be naturally fully present.........paradoxical :?:

In any event, whatever works for you or anyone, I suppose.............each individual is different...........

Namaste
student2u

Return to News and Announcements