Anyone feel out of place?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
steph H

Anyone feel out of place?

Post by steph H » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Hey everyone!

Recently--or for the past year and a half-- i've been feeling really out of place. I think I started to feel like this when I began learning and studying the Power of Now and the books of other great writers like Osho/Tolle. Most people i know don't know about Tolle's teachings. People i see everyday are people that don't care about the mind, the Being, LOA, the present etc. Most of my friends don't understand what I'm talking about when i try to explain to them about the mind/the Being and how happiness is attained. Most people just stare at me and say "Um.. ok. that's....cool" ya know? I'm basically surrounded by people that don't care--or people that have their own interests and goals.

Just yesterday i was talking to my friend about running. She says she gets super tired really fast after she runs and she gets bored really quickly so she stops running. I tell her that it's just the mind holding you back--not wanting to do this because it's "tiring" so it tells your body to stop. I said we have to be able to transcend those negative thoughts and keep going. We can't always lose to the mind. It's like when you meditate. At first your mind doesn't want to shut up so it keeps throwing thoughts at you and make you feel irritated and annoyed. BUt after you get past all that--you feel calmness, peace, and quiet. My friend didn't know what i was talking about--at all.

I know so many girls that are so unaware of their ego mind--they can be so judgmental and superficial. They seem completely ignorant of the big world that's out there. And whenever they do or say something that's caused by self cautiousness/ anxiety etc. i just say to myself-- oh my gosh that's the mind right there. But i can't say anything--you know?
I feel like I've grown so much spiritually and emotionally after I read the Power of Now along with a bunch of other related books. These teachings are so valuable. These books help me make sense of things. I've grown so much. I'm much more open-minded, much more patient, much more mature and tolerant. I feel like there are so many people in this world are still just so hard-headed and locked up in their own world and reject everything thats different or new to them. They're not accepting and can be so judgmental. I feel like most of the people I know are so ignorant and selfish... so deeply wrapped in their ego mindedness.

Does anyone out there feel like that?

Yes, i know that maybe it has to do with their young age. People my age are still growing and maturing. Do you guys think maybe I shouldn't have read these books? Or maybe i've touched on these things too soon? I feel like i don't belong with people in my age group.

Please comment!
THANKS A LOT :D

kiki

Re: Anyone feel out of place?

Post by kiki » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:55 am

It could also be said that your circumstance and how you feel out of place is mind also. Let there be a recognition of your mind in relation to others as you compare where they are in relation to yourself.

How much you want truth will determine whether you will continue with teachings like ET's or not. There is an opportunity for much growth if you are willing to meet everything from presence, even the lack of presence of others. Meet them where they are and not where you would hope for them to be. It is largely out of your hands whether your words and explanations can influence someone else to become interested in awakening, so I wouldn't even bring the subject up unless someone expresses an interest. That interest can best be fostered by simply being present and accepting of where they are. For now, your presence is their portal, so let go of unsolicited explanations because they have a way of turning people off. People have to come to the idea of awakening in an organic way. When that happens nothing can hold them back.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:57 am

It's my experience that at first it's much easier to notice the movement of the ego and mind in others. We can notice these movements because they exist in us. It's good to notice this because we learn from it and at some point we become interested in what's going on in us, more and more.

steph H

Post by steph H » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:41 am

Meet them where they are and not where you would hope for them to be. It is largely out of your hands whether your words and explanations can influence someone else to become interested in awakening, so I wouldn't even bring the subject up unless someone expresses an interest. That interest can best be fostered by simply being present and accepting of where they are.
Wow Kiki. Your wisdom is very much appreciated. Thank you. This helped a lot and you're right. The most I can do is to be in the present and accept them for who they are. I had never realized that my feelings and emotions of feeling out of place may have been my mind. The Being is connected to all essence and the Being accepts--it does not judge. I guess i was being judgmental in this case. Thanks for helping me come to this realization. The more i resent and dwell in the negativity of how people act/think--the more I'm going into ego mind--and the more I'll fuss about the problem. Yes, so i should just be in the present and accept--manifesting my Being, my true Self.

Yes, more than anything--I want to get closer to the truth--to discover and learn more about the universe and to grow spiritually.
We can notice these movements because they exist in us. It's good to notice this because we learn from it and at some point we become interested in what's going on in us, more and more
what keen observation and a wise analysis! Thanks for that. wow I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, I am beginning to wonder about myself more and more. I feel an urgency to dig deep into the core of my essence. Discovering the truth, i think, is the best thing one can do to feel fulfilled. Being in the present and being awakened is the truth--so becoming more and more interested in what's going on within is getting to the truth--regardless of all the neg. feelings one feels b/c that's the ego mind not wanting to be diminished, i guess. Thanks for your feedback!

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:22 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where can I go where I am out of place?

Even when this body is completely lost, here I am, ever present, all pervading, I am always home :D

steph H

Post by steph H » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:44 am

Even when this body is completely lost, here I am, ever present, all pervading, I am always home
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:26 am

To some extent, age is artificial. Although Eckhart spoke about the powerful strength of ego until the late twenties or so, you could wake up tomorrow. You might look around for a Meetup group dealing with Eckhart or other nondualists.

Social disorientation is very normal as you begin to see through the veils of ego. Kiki and karmarider have given good advice -- your model can be a portal for your friends. Be "very present" (is there such a thing?? :) ) in conversations. Ask rather than tell. You can discuss your changes, sure, but the idea of "losing who you are" is not likely to be real popular with younger folks. You might enjoy the movie or book "Peaceful Warrior" -- it is about a young person waking up.

Adyashanti.org is another large resource, too.

Glad to have you here... :)

and now :) :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Sometimes. When there is stress.
---ooOoo---

steph H

Post by steph H » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 am

Sighclone--- Thank you for your great awesome advice and words of wisdom! (To karmarider and kiki as well thanks a lot :D )

yeah i feel so much better now. I stopped with ET/OSHO/DEEPAK CHOPRA and other great spiritual writers because this seemed so out of the norm and really overwhelming and how much i notice ego within myself and others just made me really depressed and irritated. Recently i realized stopping with these teachings and stopping to strive to live in the TRUTH is not working for me. It was actually making me feel more depressed and irritated. Now I still feel some degree of frustration when i encounter these teachings and when i deal with this stuff but i know that it is just my ego mind screaming. I know that there is going to be an incredible moment i will come to when I will be feeling amazingly free and in the present--finally without worry and anxiety and anger and jealousy etc etc. I prob just feel like this because I'm so new to these teachings and my ego isn't cooperating because 1. it doesn't respond well to the new and 2. it wants itself to grow/expand not my BEING. but my being is more than ready to BE in the fulfillment of life--i can feel it to my very core. After reading so many guides/books to spiritual oneness i feel better already.

anyway. I'm so glad i found this forum which led me to all of you! I feel truly blessed.

God Bless <3
LOVE, STEPH

Thom

Post by Thom » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:39 pm

In my opinion,

there are lots of people on earth who are naturally centered and present, and dont need this stuff,

they've never heard of "living in the present moment" "live in the now", "rise above thought", but they don't need to, as they have a natural ability to be happy where they are. I've noticed this with friends of mine, who i was attracted to as friends because of this, thought they have no interest in religion, meditation or Tolle - type teachings.

I would only worry about "converting " people if they are particularly stressed or mind-dominated, and need it.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:09 am

there are lots of people on earth who are naturally centered and present, and dont need this stuff
There certainly are. Adya met one in Hawaii. Eckhart talks about them as "Frequency Holders" in ANE.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

SirNikalot

Post by SirNikalot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 am

I was just about to post my own topic about this same act of judgement towards people because they aren't living in the now and etc. etc. I especially held these feelings towards my family members and friends and it hasn't been until this day that I realize how selfish I have been because of it. I constantly feel anger toward my mother or father for their own unconscious habits and I blame them. And I think its clouded over the love that's really there in its natural state. And when I realized this I cried (still am crying a little bit). I literally haven't cried in years, but I've been holding this terrible sadness in for the passed few days and it pretty much wasn't until now that I realize that the sadness that is being expressed towards my mother and father isn't from hatred, but its expressed out of love, the same love that I've been withholding from them, and its made me sad to realize this. Its a strange sadness, but its not a dark sadness. I think my mom was able to detect a different energy from me today. It seems as if the clouds are starting to clear up and the love and stillness that has been then to start with are starting to shine its light once again.

And thank you all for the previous posts, very helpful. And Steph, it looks like we are on the same exact rode headed for the same exact destination, or as some will say, that destination is already here. Unfortunately its more than likely gonna take a journey to realize that we are fully here, always. The good thing is, is that it can happen at any moment, and we both know that it will happen.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Dear SirNikalot -

I went to a "Personal Effectiveness Seminar" for four days about eight years ago. It was not a nonduality group, but did allow much introspection. My parents are deceased. They were good parents. But at one point in the seminar they had us close our eyes and imagine our parents before we were born. Young people falling in love, planning their lives and their children. As I did that, in this big room full of 30 participants and ten or so assistants, I just burst into tears. I was a 54-year old guy...I don't do that much. But there I was, just racked with sobs. It was a way of both expressing that I missed them and forgiving them for any perceived blame I felt...very cathartic for me. All I am left with is love for their memories. I can understand cognitively that my mother may have had some adverse influence on my development -- but it was utterly innocent.

Thanks for joining the forum!

Andy

SirNikalot

Post by SirNikalot » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:24 am

Yes... wow, that is a very powerful thought indeed. It almost makes me want to cry just thinking about it for myself, thanks for sharing that. I've held a lot of gripes towards people, mainly my mother and father over the years about how they raised me. I used to really look up to my dad, he's a nice guy, until reacts angrily towards something. As a kid I never was able to understand that part of him and it made me very confused about how I saw him and how I should see myself, since I looked up to him so much. And my mother may have done things unfavorable towards my childhood development, but it was all innocent much like your mother. I guess I'm starting to see that blaming them for their faults is doing nothing but fueling all kinds of negativity, and its time for me to just accept them, the same acceptance that fuels love, and really the love is what's important. Through that I feel good things will come.

Its time for me to rediscover the LOVE!!!!

jackh

Post by jackh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:04 am

" I feel like there are so many people in this world are still just so hard-headed and locked up in their own world and reject everything thats different or new to them. They're not accepting and can be so judgmental. I feel like most of the people I know are so ignorant and selfish... so deeply wrapped in their ego mindedness. "

Is that really who they are?
:D