Hello from snowheight

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.

Hello from snowheight

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 am

Saw Eckhart while channel surfing last year and, as an insomniac, a particular fragment of what he said caught my interest: "...I decided to stop listening to the voice in my head ...".

So the next time that I had trouble sleeping (night before a trip), I tried that, and it worked ! The next day was one of very few times in my life that I've driven 200+ miles without being painfully sleep deprived.

This simple advice didn't work the 2nd time I tried it in the hotel the next night (looking back, I suspect dueling ego threads :) -- the folly of trying to use the mind to force the mind to be quiet). My curiosity peaked, I eventually bought a copy of the Power of Now, which completely changed my life.

I'm a 40's white guy from the NorthEast States with an education in engineering, and ET's teachings were the missing piece of the puzzle in what is the personal belief system I'd cobbled together based on self-study of the philosophical implications of "modern physics". Practicing his simple, common-sense primary suggestion of watching the thinker has finally cleansed my physical body of a very high baseline level of anxiety that I had only recently even realized I carried around. Pardon the offensive graphic, but if felt as though someone had pulled a twirler's baton out of my ass that I hadn't even known was there.

These days I have a lot of gratitude for many things, one of them being ET's having rendered all of these powerful ideas from outside of my culture so accessible.

I still enjoy thinking, and have lots of ideas about ET's signposts. I'm sure that many of these are far from original so I promise to try to read as much of what is here as I can before I start posting.

Namaste,

snowheight
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Re: Hello from snowheight

Postby Sighclone » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:08 am

Namaste, snowheight. Thanks for joining. The baton image made me laugh!!

There are a large number of well-educated deeply experienced members here who have read widely in nondual teachings and usually find a way to provide target pointers for people as they progress. I've also read many books on QM, Entanglement, Non-locality, the Copenhagen interpretation, and so forth. In fact, for me, the goofyness of the observer somehow affecting the data and the experiment just by his or her presence, or the presence of an observing machine gave my very analytical mind a cause for great comfort. Because the right brain had been hinting rather boldly about something else in the pudding. Something really really big was going on in the background and it had to do with consciousness. With Bell's Theorem and the collapse of the EPR whimper, nonduality got a big boost in my little monkey mind.

Last October 170 presenters showed up at the first annual "Science and Nonduality Conference" in Marin County. Now why would all these folks line up to blab away for their hour (in many separate breakout sessions) at some spacy-new-age-mumbo-jumbo-airy-fairy fantasyland. Yes, not all the presenters had hard science to deliver, and some were retired guys massaging old favorite theories. But there was a fine presentation of the Casimir effect, and Gary Weber gave a great introduction to the whole concept of free will vs. determinism, which is a kind of hot topic in the nondual area. Here is the website: http://www.scienceandnonduality.com/

Welcome, Snowheight!

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby snowheight » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:28 am

Andy,

Thank you VERY much for that link. That is new information for me which I can tell will be enriching and challenging. I have questions and things that I'd like to share in response to your post but there is no rush. I'll be sure to catch up with you again when I figure out the right thread :).

Namaste,

snowheight
Stop talking. Hear every sound as background. Look straight ahead and focus. Take one deep breath. This is you. This is Now.
snowheight

Postby Webwanderer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm

Welcome snowheight. Thinking is a good thing. It's identification with it that creates issues. And what a good idea to deal with that baton. :shock:

Enjoy the forum,

WW
Webwanderer

Postby snowheight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:30 am

Thanks for the welcome WW.

My work productivity has gone up since PON due to better concentration now that I use my mind as a tool rather than vice-versa.

And my quality of life has improved greatly since losing the baton :)

bravo on this btw:

It is an emotionally charged attraction to habitual perspectives that pulls us back into the me-self way of living after the initial energy of Self realization wanes.

see you out there !

Namaste,

snowheight
snowheight

Postby kiki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:04 am

Hello snowheight, and welcome to the board.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Sighclone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:16 am

It is an emotionally charged attraction to habitual perspectives that pulls us back into the me-self way of living after the initial energy of Self realization wanes.

Our friend the Wanderer has again given us a gem. This is exactly what Adya talks about in disc 3 of "The End of YourWorld" -- the "gravitational pull" of really old egoic fixations. When asked, even Nisargadatta acknowledged that they arise -- Velcro thoughts and concepts. The gap between their arising and their being recognized and vaporized in Presence shrinks over time, according to both Adya's and my experiences. Snowheight - you would be well served by listening to or reading that book, by a veteran master teacher, Adyashanti (nee Steve Grey). Other books by him are also clear and granular. Adya is a process guy -- lots of narrative about the process...all good stuff. Check out soundstrue.com for prices, or his website adyashanti.org.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
Sighclone

Postby snowheight » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Kiki: thank you for your welcome. That quote about the ego's assured glassy existence was awesome.

Andy: thank you for the suggestion. Keen of you to intuit that one of my motivations for being here was to go beyond the personal meditation method I've developed as I (in paradox) try to maintain (ironically MORE) awareness. I decided to start a topic on this in the Personal section.

Namaste,

snowheight
snowheight

Postby snowheight » Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am

runstrails wrote:So lovely, Snowy. Thanks for a great read. Hope you are well.

'Trails! :D .. doin' good thanks for asking. .. I'd say that the most sure-fire way to have life surprise you is to develop an expectation about the future. The material world "spins ever madly on" with it's demands but with each passing year the ephemerality of moment-to-moment existence seems to deepen into an ever lighter dance .. if ya' know what I mean, and I have a sneaking suspicion that you very likely do. Image

My pleasure on the poem. Was from a little over a year ago, but I figured some of you here might like it. Hope the job isn't banging your brain and stressing you out too much, hope your running or whatever else you do these days is going well and best wishes to you and your family.
snowheight

Postby dijmart » Tue May 09, 2017 3:18 am

Hi Snowheight,
So, I'm confused! Your not a new member you've been on the board since 2010 and have more posts then I do, so why is everyone welcoming you like they don't know who you are?

Also, you read PON in 2010, stated by one of your first few post on this board, so why are you saying you came across ET last year, then bought PON?

Is this a joke or something?
Take what you like and leave the rest.
dijmart

Postby snowheight » Tue May 09, 2017 7:58 am

Sorry dj'! :) .. didn't mean to cause confusion or play a practical joke. All those greetings are from years ago. I just wanted to respond to 'trails somewhere's else than in the "Poetry recommended links". Also didn't want to intrude on any other open threads.
snowheight

Postby dijmart » Tue May 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Hahaha...guess I should've read the dates!!! Sorry!! Don't mind me, I haven't been quite myself lately. Carry on....
dijmart

Postby Sighclone » Sun May 14, 2017 5:14 am

Always a pleasure to hear your distinctive voice again, snowy! And, by the way, we LIKE dijmart!

Jac O'Keeffe is doing satsangs with the 'next steps' after nonduality, but she hasn't worked out the terminology yet...she is lovely as ever, however...

Andy
Sighclone

Postby dijmart » Sun May 14, 2017 6:11 am

Awee, thanks Andy! I like you too! :)
dijmart

Postby Sighclone » Sun May 14, 2017 6:15 am

:D
Sighclone

Next

Return to Introductions