Marijuana and Presence

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.

Marijuana and Presence

Postby peleke4 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:39 pm

We've all heard about how people get fearful and paranoid with marijuana. Surely some of you have experienced this firsthand. You probably had the experience when you were totally mind identified with no Awareness at all. What is the opposite of fear and paranoia? That is what I experience when I am Aware/Present while stoned.

It is in the nature of the mind to be fearful. Marijuana fuels that fear, hence the reason people get paranoid with marijuana. It is in the nature of Awareness to be X (I was about to put words like "clear, free, peaceful" but felt it was better to leave it as X). So what happens when you smoke marijuana with Awareness in the picture? X gets fueled.

The experience is very difficult to explain. I'll try my best. When stoned and Aware, marijuana deepens the experience. I feel the innerbody more deeply. I feel Oneness. The experience is VERY concrete. When sober on the other hand, the feeling is more subtle.

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps Tolle was a marijuana user. After all, he is open-minded about substances. He revealed in the Oprah webcast that he experimented with lsd (he described the lsd experience as "violent" in comparison to the purity of Presence). Tolle also joked that "marijuana is a plant" in an audio lecture (UCLA lecture I believe). It was just a funny thought that crossed my mind: Tolle sitting on a park bench smoking a fattie... it probably wouldn't have done so well had he admitted he was also stoned sitting on park benches for two years. I have absolutely no idea if he was a marijuana user or not. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was. Again, just a funny thought that crossed my mind.
peleke4

Re: Marijuana and Presence

Postby Webwanderer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Don't know what he was before he woke up, but I seriously doubt he smoked much weed since. The problem I found with marijuana is that is muddies the perception of clear awareness. When one is engrossed in the addiction to thought identity, marijuana seems to have some genuine benefits in altering one's perspective, assuming one has an interest in consciousness exploration. But once a degree of clarity has been reached it becomes more of a hindrance.

If you are going to continue using it, pay attention to the quality of clarity available while under its influence. But compare it to the quality of clarity one may (re)gain directly without it, say in while reading a few verses from stillness speaks sitting in a nature setting. You may need a few days to clear it from you system first, but it's well worth it.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Ananda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:53 am

A drug induced state of awareness is not going to be helpful for self-enquiry because it is a state created by artificial means and with the aid of an object (which is attachment). It is not genuine presence, and nor is the experience created by smoking the drug. The aim of self- enquiry is to go beyond attachment to experiences (all experience is impermanent) in order to realize the fundamentally free nature of oneself- which is free from the need of all things, including drugs. Dependency on a drug in order to create a desired state of awareness is entirely counter productive and missing the point.
Ananda

Postby monmonn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:49 am

Dude i use to be a user and trust me.. it is way harder to reach X while high because i feel like the mind dominates you while ur stoned.. I've tried becoming present but it requires more effort then when ur sober
monmonn

Postby tikey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah while on marihuana I always had this strange trips like thought rushing through my heads and incredible
amount of insights and funny ideas. I had so many ideas while stones that I was laughing all the time.
It was inredible and crazy but since I started reading The Power Of Now I dont use drugs anymore.
I had a terrible long term depression and I dont want to come back to that bad state anymore.
Part of that state could be possibly a reason of smoking to much and getting down but I dont believe it
its a conspiracy my parents tell me. Drugs are cool but I dont know how are they in the term of awareness.
While smoking marihuana I undobtedly felt insane and crazy . It was cool. I had many new experiences
and I was having a new ideas about my life. Thats why sometimes I got paranoid. When thought rushed
in a wrong direction it could became kind of paranoia lol - very unpleasent. My friend told me that you
can actually control it but I never could. It always took control over me either good or bad.

The question is: are you, while stoned still yourself? My answear is: no your not. You "become" the drug lol.
In my case being stoned was so strong (Im very sensitive to drugs) that it was a feeling like someone else
suddenly arrived on my place. So think about it lol!
Im just a cloudless sky :)
tikey

Postby forgotaboutbre » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 pm

I feel quite similar to the original poster when I take marijuana. If I'm high and I give myself entirely to presence I blow myself away with the perspectives that I find. Yesterday when I was high I could FEEL my body reacting to my thoughts. It was such an eye opening experience. I could feel which thoughts were damaging to my physical form, I could feel the negative energy pulse through my body. Over all I think that marijuana creates space, but with that space comes a massive urge to bring into form the fruits of that space. That's what I've found is the double edged sword of marijuana. I used to get SUPER SUPER paranoid on weed but now it's just an exciting adventure for me. I used to get the most insane perspectives on my life that scared the shit out of me but now marijuana is like a teacher for me. Sometimes I'll get so caught up in ego during my every day sober life and I feel completely lost, then I smoke a little bit of weed and focus on stillness and BOOM I am instantly reborn with fresh perspective on the insanity that I live out. The key is to trust the perspectives and not be suspicious of them because they were "drug induced." There is no way to prove that our clarity while using marijuana is purely substance induced. The drug is a tool.
forgotaboutbre

Postby forgotaboutbre » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:59 pm

"he question is: are you, while stoned still yourself? My answear is: no your not."

I say you're no less yourself than in your "sober" (normal chemical state). Whether you are depressed, angry, or high, you are experiencing an altered chemical state. The lesson is to bring presence into ALL of your states and the world will reveal itself to you. So are you yourself when stoned? Only if it keeps you from presence.
forgotaboutbre

Postby mainerichards » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Webwanderer wrote:If you are going to continue using it, pay attention to the quality of clarity available while under its influence. But compare it to the quality of clarity one may (re)gain directly without it, say in while reading a few verses from stillness speaks sitting in a nature setting. You may need a few days to clear it from you system first, but it's well worth it.

I couldn't have said it any better. I agree with Webwanderer, you should take into account the quality of clarity while under the influence then do it without, compare. You'll be amazed on what you'll discover and as WW said, it's well worth it.
Budslist is a marijuana directory and social media platform that brings the cannabis community together. Get connected now and find the closest local dispensary or doctor near you today.
mainerichards

Postby Rubber Soul » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

I've been having deep meditative experiences/present moment awareness after smoking a very little amount late at night.
Rubber Soul

Postby 1BlindOne » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I smoked a 'fatty' after 25+ yrs of being a non smoker. I will say the experience was above the normal daily grind and took a couple days to wear off. During the high I wondered if a person could maintain this state during normal daily operations it felt so good. In the end I don't think the experience does anything for a persons advancement. I have had a few experiences of transcending duality and it is still nothing like that experience. Just a sidetrack imo, and that prob goes for any substance used to alter awareness or that causes an addiction.
1BlindOne

Postby Webwanderer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:27 am

1BlindOne wrote:In the end I don't think the experience does anything for a persons advancement. I have had a few experiences of transcending duality and it is still nothing like that experience. Just a sidetrack imo, and that prob goes for any substance used to alter awareness or that causes an addiction.

I'm glad you added 'imo', as it was just your experience. Others, including myself, have had some valuable insights while in a weed induced state. I do find it to be a double edge sword however. Depending on conditions, setting, and state of mind, it can be clarifying or it can be dulling. Like many drugs, there is the right amount, and there is overdosing. If one is going to use it to open up conscious possibilities, pay close attention to what works best for you.

Welcome to the forum.

WW
Webwanderer

Postby Rubber Soul » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 am

1BlindOne wrote:I have had a few experiences of transcending duality and it is still nothing like that experience.

That is actually exactly how I feel about my earliest experiences with cannabis

I wonder what exactly was going on neurochemically and metaphysically to cause those highs, because I highly doubt any experience in my life will match that feeling again
Rubber Soul

Postby Reagan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:15 am

I have used weed, and I have found that it can be useful. My first peek behind the curtain actually occurred while simultaneously exercising and meditating while high (not extremely high mind you, 20 mg of edibles). I think that weed can help me quiet the mind and make me more open to consciousness. But that cannot become a crutch you need to become present, so you need go guard against that. And also, you can not let your mind trick you into believing that it is OK to get high as much as you like because it makes you more present (if it does that for you). I find that I can do really good deep thought work on my mind when high, like examining emotions. But as an alcoholic, I know the dangers first hand of becoming dependent on a substance. I don't need drugs or alcohol any longer to quiet my mind and its pain, but old mind patterns can still trick me..... And other than as a tool to help you open a portal, why would you even want to get high when true presence is so much better! Eventually, I think I will put it aside as it will be unnecessary.
Reagan

Postby Tulip54 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:35 pm

I smoked weed for 10 years or so. I gave up the beginning of this year. I didn't know about Eckhart while I was smoking so I am not sure if I felt any of the experiences talked about on this forum. I guess we all have different reactions to drugs and it's not for everybody. I was addicted plain and simple and thought I needed it to survive.
Addiction brought me to Eckhart so everything was supposed to happen like that.
I think it's good to try things safely and in moderation but as previous people have commented we should look within and be able maintain that feeling within without looking to external forms.
Everyday I feel a deeper understanding but I am not there yet.
Tulip54

Postby meetjoeblack » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 am

peleke4 wrote:We've all heard about how people get fearful and paranoid with marijuana. Surely some of you have experienced this firsthand. You probably had the experience when you were totally mind identified with no Awareness at all. What is the opposite of fear and paranoia? That is what I experience when I am Aware/Present while stoned.

It is in the nature of the mind to be fearful. Marijuana fuels that fear, hence the reason people get paranoid with marijuana. It is in the nature of Awareness to be X (I was about to put words like "clear, free, peaceful" but felt it was better to leave it as X). So what happens when you smoke marijuana with Awareness in the picture? X gets fueled.

The experience is very difficult to explain. I'll try my best. When stoned and Aware, marijuana deepens the experience. I feel the innerbody more deeply. I feel Oneness. The experience is VERY concrete. When sober on the other hand, the feeling is more subtle.

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps Tolle was a marijuana user. After all, he is open-minded about substances. He revealed in the Oprah webcast that he experimented with lsd (he described the lsd experience as "violent" in comparison to the purity of Presence). Tolle also joked that "marijuana is a plant" in an audio lecture (UCLA lecture I believe). It was just a funny thought that crossed my mind: Tolle sitting on a park bench smoking a fattie... it probably wouldn't have done so well had he admitted he was also stoned sitting on park benches for two years. I have absolutely no idea if he was a marijuana user or not. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was. Again, just a funny thought that crossed my mind.

I know its illegal so, there is that side of it but, now that is being legalized in more states, I think people are becoming more open.

Marijuana induces anxiety for me so, its not something I indulge in anymore although, I've tried edibles and I had a better yet more stronger experience.

TS, IMHO, I found you can have mystical experiences of presence with the use of psychedelics. I am too fearful of DMT or ayahausca but, I've had mystical experiences with mushrooms. Its crazy how tiny and yet, how damn powerful they are. I feel extreme fear and anxiety with the use of them or intense gratitude and laughter. There seems to be no middle ground. Even more intense is the 4-6hour experience whereas, marijuana has a quicker effect and lasts much less time.

You or I could have mystical experiences sitting in a creek or walking through a valley. You can be forced into presence with a psychedelic trip like acid/lsd or skydiving and bungee jumping. I don't think it is "bad." I think it can be a form of addiction and more ego if you then become reliant.
meetjoeblack

Next

Return to Personal Experiences