Internal Server Error

If you have technical difficulties with the forum, or maybe suggestions or complaints, this is the place. At this stage, it is very important to get a lot of feedback from you the users.

Re: Internal Server Error

Postby runstrails » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Sloooooooow for me too. But no server error yet.

Thanks for your efforts eric.
runstrails

Postby erbeeflower » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Was good yesterday after 3 very slow days, very slow with internal server errors showing 500? sorry i can't reply to pm's at the moment !
I'm still enjoying thinking and exploring too much to get stuck here :-)
erbeeflower

Postby Webwanderer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:59 am

Okay, what happened? It's as fast as it was slow. As good as I've ever seen it. :D

WW
Webwanderer

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:05 am

Dear Sir/Madam,
Regarding your hosting account INNER-GROWTH.INFO:
It has come to our attention that your hosting account for INNER-GROWTH.INFO is causing an overload of the shared resources on this server. This, in turn, affects the server performance for other customers. We have migrated your site to a new server to provide you time to resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, we are not able to troubleshoot custom scripting and therefore, we are not able to provide specific solutions.

Additionally, other causes of this issue can include, but are not limited to, non-optimized scripts, high traffic, form spamming, etc.

You will have until February 5, 2011 to resolve the issue at hand.

At the end of this time period, we will review your CPU usage. If it has been resolved, we will migrate you back to the original server. If it has not been resolved, you should then consider the need to upgrade to a Dedicated Server. Please note, if the CPU usage is further exceeded on this new server, we reserve the right to suspend the account to ensure the overall health of the server.

If you have questions about this matter, you may contact us by replying to this email or by calling 480-505-8871.
We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
Hosting Support Team
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:16 am

HOSTING ACCOUNT UPDATE

Dear Eric ,

As part of a continuing effort to provide the highest quality
service for our valued customers, your hosting account has
been migrated to a new server that will provide you with
increased performance and reliability.

Please note that it can take up to 24 hours from the time the
update was completed for any newly-published content to be
visible on your Web site.

Ok, so they moved it, I hope things will get better now. Please provide feedback.

I really can't believe the forum requires a dedicated server. I wonder if there are forum members or visitors with experience in databases, to help evaluate what's causing the slowness.
"Be sincere; don't ask questions out of mere interest. Ask dangerous questions—the ones whose answers could change your life."
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby kiki » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:47 am

Wow, what an improvement. No problems at all from my computer.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---
Your donation will help keep us online.
kiki

Postby Quinn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 am

Hi Eric,
About an hour ago, I got "Forbidden access" when trying to enter the site. But I might have hit it while they were in the moving process. Now everything seems fine.

What is the additional expense of going to a dedicated server?

Why is there custom scripting? What about going to a provider that will supply their own forum scripting and be responsible for maintaining it? You might lose some functions, but it could be worth it.
Quinn

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:08 am

The forbidden access error was almost certainly caused by the transfer to a new server they made. If it happens again, please let me know, but I don't think it will.

A dedicated server is at least 8 times more expensive and will require a lot more time. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's not necessary. I'm almost convinced that it's either something with the hosting servers or the forum database, or both. There was no dramatic increase in the forum usage in a long time.

I'm backing up everything, and also trying to figure out how to get specific statistics on the database query times, but no luck so far... :(
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby the key master » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:10 am

I think we're approaching light speed!!!
the key master

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 am

For me the forum runs very well now. Fast and with no errors. Anyone still experiencing significant slowness and/or errors?
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby Natalie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:46 am

Would deleting the threads or posts with video and audio make a difference? There are lots of links to youtube videos in this forum.

Our IT guy at work is always warning against putting links to videos or mp3 audio on our server. I can ask him tomorrow.
Natalie

Postby Quinn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:50 am

That stinks. Wish I could help, but my knowledge is out of date.

Hopefully, their statistics on the new server will show that this site is not the problem.

Thanks so much for working on it even thought you don't have time!
Quinn

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:58 am

Natalie wrote:Would deleting the threads or posts with video and audio make a difference? There are lots of links to youtube videos in this forum.

Our IT guy at work is always warning against putting links to videos or mp3 audio on our server. I can ask him tomorrow.

Nope, it wouldn't help. None of that is actually hosted on the server, so it has no effect on performance.

I posted some questions on the official phpbb support forum, and hopefully they will be able to guide me. In the meanwhile, I'm getting ready to run an update. I'll let you know once I do, so you can keep providing feedback.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby erict » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 am

Some of you may have noticed the forum was completely down for a few hours. I was running an update, and it kept failing at a certain step (kept giving me the Internal Server Error), and I had to abort the automatic update and completely reinstall the forum, dropping all the previous files and all the modifications. It is very important that you provide me with feedback regarding any abnormalities with the forum functionality, as well as speed and errors. Of course, any errors you encountered in the past several hours are not relevant, as they were caused by the failed update and the entire reinstall process.

I hope things will improve from now on.
erict
Site-Admin
Site-Admin

Postby enigma » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

I've had all the problems mentioned here for the last 3 or 4 days. Got some kind of invalid file error earlier this afternoon, which may have been when you were having your problems, Eric.

What's odd is that I've been having the same ISE trouble with another forum http://spiritualteachers.proboards.com
They almost seemed to go down and come up at the same time, which made me check to see if they were the same group. We have multiple computers here so I know it's not on my end. As far as I know, there's no connection between phpBB group and Proboards, but maybe you know of one that would put them on the same server.

PS I had errors and slowing as recently as 3 hrs ago (6:30pm West coast time). Seems okay now.
enigma

PreviousNext

Return to Support and Technical Questions