Vedanta

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums

Vedanta

Postby runstrails » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 am

I'd like to put in a plug for Vedanta as a vehicle for awakening. It's the Indian (Hindu) philosophy of non-duality (advaita). Its got a complete framework for awakeing. You can go the jnan (knowledge) route and there are practices too that are helpful. I found the knowledge route intuitive and it worked well for me. One of our posters on this forum (ananda) had a wonderful grasp of vendanta and it was great to read his posts. But he has not been around for a while, so I thought I would put in the plug for this philosophy. I've enjoyed James Swartz's teaching of Vedanta both from his website: http://www.shiningworld.com/top/ and his book: "How to attain enlightenment: the vision of non-duality." http://www.amazon.com/How-Attain-Enligh ... 1591810949
Don't let the heavy use of Sanskrit words put you off---Vedanta has been around for several thousands years and has its own (useful) vocabulary for awakening.
runstrails

Re: Vedanta

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:47 am

Advaita is such a beautiful way of looking at the world. I'm very drawn to it, though I must admit I don't fully trust the attraction ... because it feels too easy. (Isn't it funny that we think awakening should be hard?)

I strongly recommend Dennis Waite's excellent and very clearly written books on Advaita. I've emailed with him several times, and he's a great guy, very much knows of what he speaks. You can find the books on Amazon.

Thanks for bringing this up, runstrails.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 am

P.S. For those who want to get a taste of Advaita Vedanta, check out this site. You can read a bunch of Dennis's essays there for free.
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:36 am

rachmiel wrote: ...because it feels too easy. (Isn't it funny that we think awakening should be hard?)

:D. I love that its so easy and so clear. Everything is answered so effortlessly because it has this framework for awakening.
Thanks for the link to Dennis' site---I enjoy that a lot too. But it was helpful to read the book first and be on solid ground, before I wandered off to Dennis' site.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm

runstrails, from its description (and title!) i assume the book you recommend lays out a coherent "plan" for attaining enlightenment?

Are you following it?

Are you having success?
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi rm,
I've read about half of the book. But just the first half of the book and reading the satsangs on James Swartz' website was enough for me. The self knowledge is now pretty resolute. He has an 'enlightenment quiz' on his website :wink: . You might want to take that as a pre and post outcome measure, if you decide to read the book :lol: . But really, there is a lot of good material on his website and the satsangs are his answers to questions from seekers. He even has another free book on there that he wrote previously. So give it a try---its very straightforward and clear.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Bought it! Should arrive in a coupla days. (Love that Amazon Prime!)

I'll race'ya to enlightenment, runstrails ...

Ready?

GO!

(Note that I've given you a head start. ;-) )
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:55 pm

But you're already at the finish line! or add your favorite awakening cliche here :wink:.
Keep me posted!
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm

The "How to Attain Enlightenment" book is due in today. I think it's a good sign: Arrival on Halloween. :-)
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm

Yes, perfect! Should lift the mask of ignorance speedily :wink:.
Seriously though, keep an open mind and don't over think anything. It's really that simple, as you'll see soon.
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 pm

runstrails wrote:Yes, perfect! Should lift the mask of ignorance speedily :wink:.

The mask of ignorance ... would make a good Halloween costume. ;-)
Seriously though, keep an open mind and don't over think anything. It's really that simple, as you'll see soon.

You read me like an open book!
rachMiel

Postby rachMiel » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm

I've started reading/pondering my way through the book. I'm really drawn to the thorough, clear, and quite scientific approach Hinduism and Advaita take to fathoming reality. The cosmology is just beautiful, like an architecturally magnificent building that also happens to be gorgeous to behold. And the Sanskrit terms get as close as any I've run into to being able to express what is beyond words.
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 pm

That's very eloquently put, rM! I too really enjoy the cosmology, philosophy and vocabulary of Vedanta. I find words like 'sattvic' and 'mithya' so useful. The cosmology also dovetails nicely with a modern (scientific & psychological) viewpoint, I find. Glad you're enjoying it!
runstrails

Postby rachMiel » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 am

Yeah it's turning my little brain upside down and inside out. I'm deluged with "What if?"s ... :-)
rachMiel

Postby runstrails » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:31 am

What if's are good.... let 'em all hang out ;)
It's dense and gritty book--so read slowly and let it sink in.
runstrails

Next

Return to General Discussion