Hurted by teachings Eckhart Tolle

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
ime223

Hurted by teachings Eckhart Tolle

Post by ime223 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 am

Teaching of Eckhart Tolle hurted my sense of self. I did not experienced Power of Now but my beliefs are now distorted. Now i believe ( as he is for myself spiritual authority ) that myself is illusion, that i even dont exist. How can i live normal life when my belief system is full of that new age crap. I really hurts me to know that self is illusion, that everything i think of myself is false. It lead me to depression and suffering and i stopped pursuing my dreams, lost my personality, friends etc. I just want to leto go of that thoughts/beliefs and return to normal thinking but i cant. I am brainwashed by this. I know that many of you benefited positively from him but my life is almost destroyed. PLEASE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IS THIS EGO AND FALSE SELF THING ABOUT. My mind is constantly chattering negative thoughts; self is illusion, your ( my ) identity does not exist, you are living in hypnotic state... it is very dangerous.. i also feel very heavy guilt.. sorry for bad english..

Webwanderer

Re: Hurted by teachings Eckhart Tolle

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Self isn't an illusion. Identification with our human thoughts and beliefs is an illusion. Suppose you believed yourself to be a frog. Really believed it. Would you be a frog? No, that would be an illusion of thought, of belief. You are what you are. Remember the Biblical Scripture "I am that I am"? That is a clear reference that you are not what you 'think' you are. You are what you are, beyond the identity structures of belief.

Think in terms of a larger, spiritual, reality. One of consciousness and being, not just the physicality of this human experience.

It's like your dreams when you sleep. You believe the dream while in it, no matter how bizarre. You are conscious of the dream while in the dream and assume it to be real. But when you awake, the illusion of the dream as reality soon disappears. You the dreamer simply awake to the greater reality of your current human existence. Why fret for the dream identity. You are much more than that. There is a much larger reality that we will all one day awake back into that will put the human experience into the context of the exploratory adventure that it is. Tolle's teaching is simply to awake to a measure of that larger reality while still in the human experience. It's all good.

Don't panic. You're fine. You are what you are as a conscious being. And that is an eternal reality. There is far more to Life as a whole than this human experience. And you will know it as a self aware consciousness in due time. Let go of your fears and concerns. Go have some fun. Explore. Play around. Life is too important to be taken seriously.

WW

Dcdc

Post by Dcdc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm
Self isn't an illusion. Identification with our human thoughts and beliefs is an illusion.
That's it. Gold answer.

turiya

Post by turiya » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 am

Webwanderer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm
Life is too important to be taken seriously.
Yes! :D
“We ourselves are not an illusory part of Reality; rather are we Reality itself illusorily conceived.” - Wei Wu Wei

ime223

Post by ime223 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm

I just want to get rid of all that forever and return to normal way of thinking and living. How can i live normally if i believe that reality is illusion? That self is false and so on..

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:28 pm

ime223 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm
I just want to get rid of all that forever and return to normal way of thinking and living. How can i live normally if i believe that reality is illusion? That self is false and so on..
You can 'live normally' when you don't care whether it's illusion or not. In fairness, you don't know for sure anyway. Almost no one does know what it actually means or how it works. Stop caring about it. It's far more belief than understood reality. Have some fun and make the most of the moment whatever it holds. You seem to be caught up in mental gymnastics. You don't have to play the game - so don't.

WW

tchest77

Post by tchest77 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:59 am

ime223 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 pm
Hey,

I can relate, I have been through negative stages as well. That negative self talk is just trying to help you. Just realize, whatever you feel, is deep inside you, and while it is extremely painful to feel like you lost your self, just stop going to deep. The fact that you got to this point, it is to be commended, as you are trying to figure things out, however, in doing so it caused a lot of harmful stuff to occur (the negative self talk, ect).

I'd be happy to talk with you further, but realize you do not have to think anyway that is hurting you. Easier said then done, but, you can get back to yourself, just as you lost touch with yourself you can get back to it. Your feelings are basically trying to protect you, but the problem is our feelings can backfire on use as well.

Take some time to remember who you were, look at old photos, listen to music you enjoy, read old emails you wrote, ect, basically recover what you lost. I'd suggest talking to a counselor, get some guidance on finding yourself again. This Eckhart Tolle thing is nothing new, learning about ego has been going on for centuries, but he is coming from a place of trying to help others. Eckhart should really be also stating the negatives that could occur, as not everyone is cable of letting go, and everyone has a different tolerance level.

Realize you have this life and are lucky, even if it may seem like you're not. To have this life, you had a 1 in 400 trillion chance, and YOU made it! :) We are all in this world together, just trying to make sense of it all. You are very precious, and if life becomes difficult and painful, step back from it, go back to it in small increments as needed, live to what works for you.

YOU do not have to listen to anything or anyone that makes you feel bad! You are valued and loved. Life can truly suck, and there's not much we can do about it, but we can have a choice on how we think, it is extremely difficult when our feelings hurt. Being in control of our feelings, especially the negative ones you are having, can be accomplished. But just like anything, it takes time and practice, do a little each day, get back to your self, you can do it, that was you up until this point, so get it back! You can! Even if it's a little each day, and try to laugh, watch or listen to things that will make you laugh. Laughing will sooth that pain. It is in fact that laughter is medicine, and will release hormones, ect, and we will benefit, so try to do this more. Through this laughter, when you're done laughing, realize how special you are, and through this try to remember who you are little at a time.

Wishing you the best!
I know I don't know you, but I love your life, it is special and worth taking care of it to the best you can.