Hello, seeking awakening !

Here you can introduce yourself to the rest of the members and visitors.
bryan

Hello, seeking awakening !

Post by bryan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:26 am

Greetings to You all,

I am only wanting to attain self awareness, awakening, to my true inner being , so for this i'm reading, and continue to read on a regular basis,Tolle's writings in The Power of Now. Yet more recent did I discover Tolle's writing " Stillness Speaks " which has had much more profound effect, as had Lester Levensen's earlier notes " Keys to the Ultimate Freedom ; Thooughts and Talks on Personal Transformation". The reading is one matter, the continual practice of awareness is of greater importance .

Also reading the Upanishds, and other teachers' writings from throughout the ages who all compliment each other. My reading is not only to learn yet also to stay focused, not distracted by useless inner thoughts and negative feelings or outer noise. Am i making sense ? In aa world of ever increasing egoistic desires and sole focus on the materialistic gain , denial of the soul, and descent in greater destructiion, I believe that our self awkening to be of prime importance . . .now ! not down some mythological path.

Sometimes more clarity and understnding are required and so sharing is of great help, so i signed up here.

Thank You.

bryan

Webwanderer

Re: Hello, seeking awakening !

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:32 am

Welcome to the forum bryan. Yes, Stillness Speaks is one of Tolle's best. Hard to read more that a couple of paragraphs without stopping to grok.

WW

bryan

Post by bryan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:47 am

I don't understand the meaning of the the word you use in your reply , "grock" .

The introduction to the Stillness Speaks book i found very clear and true. If i my quote a few lines ;

" This is not a book to be read from cover to cover and then put away. Live with it.
Pick it up frequently. And, more importantly, put it down frequently. Or spend more time holding it than reading it. Many readers will feel naturally inclined to stop reading after each entry, to pause, reflect, become still. It is always more helpful and more important to stop reading than to continue reading. Allow the book to do its work, to awaken you from the old groves of your repetitive and conditioned thinking ".

BC.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Welcome Bryan!

I've just joined too. You're making perfect sense. It's in staying focussed in that spaciness beyond thought that peace dwells. As you rightly say, reading is one thing, a helpful tool, but the real 'progress' is in experiencing the stillness within and bringing it forth into our daily life to permeate our human experiences.

I think I've read Stillness Speaks, but it's not a book of ETs that I currently have. Now I want to get it from the library again!

I hope you find what you need here. It seems a great place, very informative.

kiki

Post by kiki » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Welcome to the forum, Bryan. Stillness Speaks is my favorite Tolle book, but I think listening to it is even better than reading it. Let the words wash over you as he speaks without struggling to understand the concepts, and use the frequent pauses in narration to just rest. At some point you will notice that mind is silent yet alertness/awakeness remains.

When something has become so clear and meaningful that it seems to resonate on the deepest level you have "grokked" it - you have felt and know the truth of it in the marrow of your bones; to understand so thoroughly that the separation of you and the concept dissolves.

kiki
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Webwanderer

Post by Webwanderer » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Bryan, Kiki's description of the word 'grok' is spot on. It was coined in a book by Robert Heinlein 'Stranger in a Strange Land', and refers to a deeper more feeling understanding and 'absorption of a subject of consideration, whether an idea, object or person.

WW

bryan

Post by bryan » Tue May 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Thank you for replies.

After a many years dealing with concepts, which only envigorate the thinking mind and is the oppposite of quietening, the brevity of sutras is preferable.

There was something else i had wished to wrote here, before i signed in, now i've forgotten.

bryan