Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
User avatar
Nyseto
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am
Location: Here

Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Nyseto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm

In a nutshell, is it just recognizing that you're alive? Because you can't be aware of awareness like you can with an object. They say it's a relaxing of your attention. How am I supposed to do figure put a math problem without attending to it?

Also, how can you no longer judge anything since awareness is supposed to be non judgemental? If there is a murder, it's no longer bad?
Last edited by Nyseto on Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

wsmcasey
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by wsmcasey » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm

You are aware of your awareness. I am aware that I practice awareness with each passing moment. Who is this watcher that is aware of my awareness and thoughts?

The first moment of freedom arises when you realize that certain thoughts have been in your head for years, and that they are only thoughts, and you are the awareness.
Relax and let life happen.

User avatar
Nyseto
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am
Location: Here

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Nyseto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm

wsmcasey wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm
You are aware of your awareness. I am aware that I practice awareness with each passing moment. Who is this watcher that is aware of my awareness and thoughts?

The first moment of freedom arises when you realize that certain thoughts have been in your head for years, and that they are only thoughts, and you are the awareness.
So if they are only thoughts, then you no can no longer take a political stance, judge whats good and bad, etc.? Take the thought 2+2=4 for example. Do you just no longer believe that since it's just a thought? Or is it all just throwing views and concepts around without fully believing them anymore?
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

User avatar
Nyseto
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am
Location: Here

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Nyseto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:14 pm

I was also wondering, what can actually be done to rest as awareness? I understand that you can't do something that you already are but there has to be something that can still be done in terms of ceasing something.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

wsmcasey
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by wsmcasey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Nyseto wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:12 pm
wsmcasey wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm
You are aware of your awareness. I am aware that I practice awareness with each passing moment. Who is this watcher that is aware of my awareness and thoughts?

The first moment of freedom arises when you realize that certain thoughts have been in your head for years, and that they are only thoughts, and you are the awareness.
So if they are only thoughts, then you no can no longer take a political stance, judge whats good and bad, etc.? Take the thought 2+2=4 for example. Do you just no longer believe that since it's just a thought? Or is it all just throwing views and concepts around without fully believing them anymore?
Whats stopping you from taking a political stance or anything else for that matter? The problem stems from trying to find a solution with the tool (your mind) that causes the problem.

There is a clear space of awareness in each moment that does not require thought. The old saying "look before you leap" comes to mind.

The beautiful thing is, when meeting with other humans or situations, weither it's a brief encounter or longer, we can mostly relate thru "awareness" instead of thru "thinking".

Life is a much deeper intelligence than intellect. You can reach a point where you think you know everything, but actually know nothing about life.

I'll leave you with a final thought.

Do not believe anything. Become a seeker willing to look at everything. I know what I know. I don't know what I don't know, but I'm willing to look at everything.
Relax and let life happen.

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6851
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:05 pm

wsmcasey wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 pm
I'll leave you with a final thought.

Do not believe anything. Become a seeker willing to look at everything. I know what I know. I don't know what I don't know, but I'm willing to look at everything.
This is a quality that holds the door open to the growth of consciousness and being while in this human form. My personal version is 'never be one hundred percent certain of anything'.

Certainty closes the door on future considerations and larger perspectives. So long as that certainty stays in effect, the believer is pretty much locked in to where they currently are. Of course life tends to have ways of breaking down doors when we will not open them intentionally. That is generally called emotional pain.

'Pretty much', 'tends', 'generally'... all words that leave the door to growth open a bit.

WW

User avatar
Nyseto
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am
Location: Here

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Nyseto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm

I'm not really understanding. If we shouldn't be 100% certain of anything then that means facts no longer exist which doesn't make any sense since facts are 100%. I am 100% certain that I need water to survive for example.
Last edited by Nyseto on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6851
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Webwanderer » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 pm

Nyseto wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm
I'm not really understanding. If we shouldn't be 100% certain of anything then that means facts no longer exist which doesn't make any sense.
It's not that facts don't exist, it's that there is always more to understand about those 'facts', and that being certain about a lesser understanding tends to get in the way of the openness required to get to a larger understanding. It's easy to get locked into a particular context when we decide we have the wholeness of it. Certainty is dangerous to our overall growth.

I have found it okay to be 'fairly' certain as a working relationship with a current understanding, but always leave room for something larger, something more inclusive. I see it as a 'most likely' scenario until something clearer comes to awareness. It's been a lifelong approach to the mystical sciences.

Religions tend to rely on certainty when it comes to their scriptures. But doing so locks them into the religious dogmas. IE: Trust scripture, not you own inner voice. It's not so different with any philosophy of life. One can get married to one's current beliefs so completely that it inhibits their over all growth in understanding.

WW

wsmcasey
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by wsmcasey » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Everything created by man was created by thinking. Thinking creates everything you have in your life. Thought makes it so.

Everything we understand is from our limited human perspective.

Example:
We use to think the earth was flat. It wasn't until we distance ourselves from the earth and went into outer space did we gain the clarity that the earth is probably round.

Who's to say facts exist or not? We humans make up rules and pass them off as facts all the time!

We know nothing. Everything on earth is either a miracle or it's not.

I recall an Allan Watts lecture where he said:
"You are already on the perfect space ship. It has everything you will ever need with interesting things to do. It is called Earth.
Relax and let life happen.

User avatar
Nyseto
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am
Location: Here

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Nyseto » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 pm

Webwanderer wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 pm
Nyseto wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:00 pm
I'm not really understanding. If we shouldn't be 100% certain of anything then that means facts no longer exist which doesn't make any sense.
It's not that facts don't exist, it's that there is always more to understand about those 'facts', and that being certain about a lesser understanding tends to get in the way of the openness required to get to a larger understanding. It's easy to get locked into a particular context when we decide we have the wholeness of it. Certainty is dangerous to our overall growth.

I have found it okay to be 'fairly' certain as a working relationship with a current understanding, but always leave room for something larger, something more inclusive. I see it as a 'most likely' scenario until something clearer comes to awareness. It's been a lifelong approach to the mystical sciences.

Religions tend to rely on certainty when it comes to their scriptures. But doing so locks them into the religious dogmas. IE: Trust scripture, not you own inner voice. It's not so different with any philosophy of life. One can get married to one's current beliefs so completely that it inhibits their over all growth in understanding.

WW
There is one thing we can be certain of and that's that we are. Rupert Spira calls it absolute knowledge. So awareness is absolute because it's here. We don't know it conceptually but we know it. That's another thing that I've heard about awareness...that it's this knowing without an individual. There's no sense of I.
"There is no such thing as enlightenment. The appreciation of this fact is itself enlightenment." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

axetenuz
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:50 am

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by axetenuz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:43 am

Anyone saying certainty is dangerous have to demonstrate it in their conduct. They have to show a willingness to walk into the middle of uncertainty and to face it head on, not run away from it at the first challenge of what may seem like an uncertain idea/person/situation. Not try to weasel out of that feeling of uncertainty but to be open to what it has in store for them in order to get to a larger understanding. Only a true skeptic will be able to do this. There is thread in this forum called ‘certitude and doubt’ that goes into this in a bit more detail. This kind of healthy skepticism isn’t within the pay grade of "believers" who like to delude themselves with comforting but false stories.

Parroting a belief in openness and living it are obviously two different things. It is the believer’s belief that closes the door for further exploration. Beliefs are the opposite of healthy skepticism and it is very easy to be locked in beliefs as it is comforting and prevents any encounters with uncertainty or the unknown.

Furthermore, certainty is not an absence of doubt or uncertainty but rather a full exercising of the same. Certitude is the fragrance of following doubt/uncertainty to its end where it has no option but to resolve itself. It is not something silly like "choosing" to be or not to be certain. We have as much power over that as we have in the growing and falling of teeth, which is none.

Lastly, the claim that certainty isn't relevant is laughable. The claim itself contains the desire for certainty within itself. The entire movement of humanity is to find certainty either in matter or the so called spiritual. Look at yourselves, look at your efforts.

Therefore the poster couple of posts above seems to be expressing his beliefs on certainty, rather than any true factual insight into the matter, as evidenced from the contradictions in his statements, not even factoring the discrepancies in conduct.

User avatar
Webwanderer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6851
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:03 am

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Webwanderer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:17 am

axetenuz wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:43 am
Anyone saying certainty is dangerous have to demonstrate it in their conduct.
Are you certain of that? Certainty in life is at least likely to demonstrate a degree of blindness as it is one of clarity. Feel free to make my point one way or the other. You choose.

You could just say something more positive and let go of this effort to attack me. How is this helpful?

WW

axetenuz
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:50 am

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by axetenuz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am

One has said what wanted to say on "certainty". If you are able to refute any of them then do so and we can look into it. If you can't understand something then ask and i will try to explain but obviously i cannot give you comprehension.

As to attacks, one has no idea what you are talking about, you must be confusing me with yourself and your buddies. Should you wish i will take you up on any offers on a dedicated inquiry to look at the facts of any alleged "attacking". Shouldn't be hard since the history of excanges/postings are in print.

User avatar
Louis More
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 am
Contact:

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by Louis More » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 pm

There is one thing we can be certain of and that's that we are.
This sentence was very insightful, when we drop all this thinking, all the judgments, all the labels the only thing that is left is.. silence/stillness/awareness. We just are.
Very beautiful, thank you

wsmcasey
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Re: Being aware of being aware or resting as awareness?

Post by wsmcasey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:51 pm

axetenuz wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:49 am
One has said what wanted to say on "certainty". If you are able to refute any of them then do so and we can look into it. If you can't understand something then ask and i will try to explain but obviously i cannot give you comprehension.

As to attacks, one has no idea what you are talking about, you must be confusing me with yourself and your buddies. Should you wish i will take you up on any offers on a dedicated inquiry to look at the facts of any alleged "attacking". Shouldn't be hard since the history of excanges/postings are in print.
My mother always said.
"If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all".

In the immortal words of Ram Dass.
"Love everyone and tell the truth".

I was raised Catholic, but was never really interested until I started my spiritual journey.

Leviticus 19:18 - Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD.
I'm my mind this translates to: You love everyone as yourself because we are all one in the eyes of creation. We are creation.
I [am] the LORD = We are all creation = we are all God.

Peace be with you my friend.
Relax and let life happen.

Post Reply