undestanding the don't fight/ surrender.

Here you may share how the words Eckhart Tolle have affected your life.
sikor

undestanding the don't fight/ surrender.

Post by sikor » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:29 am

hey. i think i have an "exercise" that shows you the exact mechanism as the obstacle that troubles many of us. why it is so important to not fight and surrender and what is the difference?
Put on some music, and the goal of the exercise is to sit there and not focus attention on the music. remember how you sometimes read something so interesting, and there is music at the background but you forget it is there? now try to do the same thing consciously. i mean you can try to divert your attention from the music but for many people it will be impossible. i actually discovered that when i say to myself "dont listen to the music" i focus 100% on it. and you may try to fight it, to redirect your attention somewhere else, but it will still be on the music the harder you try. now when you get bored with fighting it, surrender, accept the music and switch your attention somewhere else you do the thing you've been trying to your best for the past 3 minutes. without any effort.

This is what you do the hard way when the answer is just in front of you. (you can also do the same exercises with things like breathing manually or blinking manually, or actually almost anything :) )

do you guys consider this metaphor somewhat accurate?

Sighclone

Re: undestanding the don't fight/ surrender.

Post by Sighclone » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:18 am

Yes, accepting music or thoughts or feelings is the start of settling the mind.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

Peaceman

Re: undestanding the don't fight/ surrender.

Post by Peaceman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm

:lol: :lol: You just did a Tolle !! Watch your thoughts and you wont think! :? I am sure the latter would fit in !!!...somehow!