going to the mountain top, whose coming with?

A place for anything that doesn't fit into the existing forums
wakeupneo

going to the mountain top, whose coming with?

Post by wakeupneo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 pm

This is a story of mine, so bare with me. Entertain it play with it...

In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life? I mean every aspect of my life just reinforces my false sense of "I". All my relationships all my doings tend to revolve around this false "I". I feel like every day we are just strengthening the illusion. Everytime I talk I talk about my story to someone else who is talking about their story. We are neck deep in it. Don't we have to step out?

Glycine

Re: going to the mountain top, whose coming with?

Post by Glycine » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 pm

wakeupneo wrote:Don't we have to step out?
Not necessarily. The idea that we have to change something keeps the illusion going.
Nevertheless, if need be, life will find a way to kick you hard out of your current situation.
Possibilities are endless. There is no single path.

Electrophant

Post by Electrophant » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 pm

wakeupneo wrote: In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life? I mean every aspect of my life just reinforces my false sense of "I". All my relationships all my doings tend to revolve around this false "I". I feel like every day we are just strengthening the illusion. Everytime I talk I talk about my story to someone else who is talking about their story. We are neck deep in it. Don't we have to step out?
Is this so? ;)

Actually, who cares? It is as it is. The more and more present you can be around others, their presence and true selves is more likely to shine through the illusion too.
Last edited by Electrophant on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electrophant

Post by Electrophant » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 pm

oops double post.

Ananda

Post by Ananda » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 pm

"In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life? "

In order to self-realize one needs to realize one's self.

'I am'

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:34 pm

wakeupneo wrote:In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life?
Yeah, radical shifts in perception seem to occur, but "one" doesn't necessarily make those shifts. Reality itself wakes up to the dream. The "doing" as it appears, is finding all that we are not; not this thought, not that thought, not this experience, etc. That's the mind discovering it's own Source. The fundamental teaching centers around just Be as Self, accept everything, surrender, now. The 'mountain top', the truth is You.

This vid is great: http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=watchvideo "Rest as Awareness"
Do the yellow-rose petals
tremble and fall
at the rapid's roar?
- Basho

HermitLoon

Post by HermitLoon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Yes Adya! The most resonant "pointer" I have heard/read - as close as words can come - "Rest as Awareness" :)
Thanks RandomGuy
Peace and Joy
Peace

mistral

Post by mistral » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:15 pm

It seems to me that my circumstantces have been my best and really my only teachers in the most direct and transformative way. It has been the 'worst things' (which turn out to be the best gifts) in my life that gave me the desire to seek the Light of Truth. I appreciate Life Itself for being the Best Teacher of all. Oh, a tough teacher, but if you do not try to run away from Life you will find Her to be the most loving and caring and honest teacher of all. Changing the situation 'out there' never changed me, but the angst and fears of those changes did do very much for me---I had to put into practice the basic Truths of Reality and know that the appearances 'out there' were nothing real, but that the Real was alwasy standing Perfectly Here behind the 'holographic-unreal scene before my eyes'.

Feeling trapped in my 'ego' was really the very thing that kept pushing me toward the Truth. I had to see what was not real and what was real with everyday the 'old me sense' caused trouble that I did not like.

Once I realized the 'problem' was 'me' and 'my judgments' of the situtions, then things began to change almost as if on thier own. Swiftly we are taken along with the River once we put our little canoe in the water. Once we ask for understanding there is no turning back--it comes whether we like it or not. The very rough waters, the rapids and the steep falls and rocks and shoals along the River have been my teachers all along. The River eventually takes us to the Open Waters (where I see the 'me and its' stuff' were never real in the first place, but the perfect 'not real' is the discontent and hence the search)--Trust It. IT is perfect just as is is.

Once the seed is planted, then trust that it will bloom---but do not keep pulling it out by its roots to see if it is growing. Trust that Life knows perfectly well what It is doing and that you are in the exact right situation for your own Self-discovery.

The Beauty of Truth is that It is not somewhere else, It is always here. The moment we ask, it is answered. It just seems like it takes 'forever' to realize it was answered long ago.

"How wonderful to realize, no matter what the apparent problem, that one is never any farther from the Happiness, Peace and Tranquillity he may think he needs than himself. "Himself" is right here, this very now, closer than breathing. "My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them forever-more; Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." excerpt from A Guide To Awareness and Tranquillity by William Samuel

Love, Mistral--- The Mighty Wind ---that sails my sweet and blessed little ship across This Glorious Sea

karmarider

Post by karmarider » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 pm

wakeupneo wrote:In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life? ...
Awareness is all we need. It's the effortless, unoccupied, gentle, choiceless awareness that we already are.

Releasing can help release suffering. It can help with the turmoil that comes up with cleansing.
Not clinging to concepts and beliefs and fixed ideas helps.
Radical honesty with oneself helps.

Craig

Post by Craig » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:20 am

wakeupneo wrote:This is a story of mine, so bare with me. Entertain it play with it...

In order to self-realize doesn't one need to make some radical changes in his or her life? I mean every aspect of my life just reinforces my false sense of "I". All my relationships all my doings tend to revolve around this false "I". I feel like every day we are just strengthening the illusion. Everytime I talk I talk about my story to someone else who is talking about their story. We are neck deep in it. Don't we have to step out?
You are the consciousness that's aware of everything in your life. Everything that you see, think, hear, smell, touch, taste, feel is being perceived within consciousness. If there wasn't consciousness right now, then where would your world and everything in it be? Without consciousness, your world- the world- does not exist.

Since this awareness is always operating every second of your life, there's nothing that can be done to achieve it. All radical changes that occur are still happening as objects within your awareness, just the way your body and your thoughts are also objects in awareness. So who is it that can step out? Who is it that can go to the mountain top? Where is there to go, when awareness is still always here?
Who am I?

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:43 am

Great thread!

mistral says:
Once the seed is planted, then trust that it will bloom---but do not keep pulling it out by its roots to see if it is growing. Trust that Life knows perfectly well what It is doing and that you are in the exact right situation for your own Self-discovery.
How true!

And the Adya video - so simple, so clear, so exasperating for the ego... :)

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

student2u

Post by student2u » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 am

mistral wrote:It seems to me that my circumstantces have been my best and really my only teachers in the most direct and transformative way. It has been the 'worst things' (which turn out to be the best gifts) in my life that gave me the desire to seek the Light of Truth. I appreciate Life Itself for being the Best Teacher of all. Oh, a tough teacher, but if you do not try to run away from Life you will find Her to be the most loving and caring and honest teacher of all. Changing the situation 'out there' never changed me, but the angst and fears of those changes did do very much for me---I had to put into practice the basic Truths of Reality and know that the appearances 'out there' were nothing real, but that the Real was alwasy standing Perfectly Here behind the 'holographic-unreal scene before my eyes'.

Feeling trapped in my 'ego' was really the very thing that kept pushing me toward the Truth. I had to see what was not real and what was real with everyday the 'old me sense' caused trouble that I did not like.

Once I realized the 'problem' was 'me' and 'my judgments' of the situtions, then things began to change almost as if on thier own. Swiftly we are taken along with the River once we put our little canoe in the water. Once we ask for understanding there is no turning back--it comes whether we like it or not. The very rough waters, the rapids and the steep falls and rocks and shoals along the River have been my teachers all along. The River eventually takes us to the Open Waters (where I see the 'me and its' stuff' were never real in the first place, but the perfect 'not real' is the discontent and hence the search)--Trust It. IT is perfect just as is is.

The Beauty of Truth is that It is not somewhere else, It is always here. The moment we ask, it is answered. It just seems like it takes 'forever' to realize it was answered long ago.

"How wonderful to realize, no matter what the apparent problem, that one is never any farther from the Happiness, Peace and Tranquillity he may think he needs than himself. "Himself" is right here, this very now, closer than breathing. "My sanctuary shall be in the midst of them forever-more; Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you." excerpt from A Guide To Awareness and Tranquillity by William Samuel

Love, Mistral--- The Mighty Wind ---that sails my sweet and blessed little ship across This Glorious Sea
Thank you very much for sharing this. It kind of shows me what the journey may be like...not that I was anxious about it :wink: but it tells me what may have happened or what may be happening or what the future may be...it kind of shows me how to take the "ride"...here I AM :) just BE...know that I'll be there while I'm already there :D
The Truth is revealed when the mind is completely out of the way...

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:47 am

Yes we sometimes do have to step out. One can just as well "enjoy the ride" at the top of the mountain as one can below the mountain with dozens of people!! So do what you feel most comfortable with.

Peaceman

Post by Peaceman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:03 pm

But then again one could say.....

If people are quiet,
They can be quiet anywhere.
If people aren’t quiet
They won’t be quiet in the mountains.
Everything depends on you.
Life is transient,
Like a flash of lightning in a dream.
Before we receive this form,
We had another face,
Our original face.