Did you give up alcohol?

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
z78

Did you give up alcohol?

Post by z78 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Just wondering how many of you don't drink?

I have just come to realisation that it is something I have to stop doing as part of my journey.

Z

kiki

Re: Did you give up alcohol?

Post by kiki » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 pm

I pretty much gave up alcohol nearly 40 years ago when I first started meditating. I have an occasional glass of wine when dining at someone's house, or a beer. I think I probably drink no more than 3 beers a year, and when I do I don't like how it makes me feel. I know I've gone years and years without any alcohol at all.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:36 am

I haven't had a sip of alcohol or any other kind of mind altering substance in 5 1/2 years since I joined AA.
My bottom was quite high compared to some of the stories you hear at the meetings. I stay away from religious persons and "big book thumpers". The Sunday morning meeting is attended mostly by nondualists and new age enthusiasts. I love the fellowship atmosphere and have met very good friends there.
I realized a long time ago that, for me, drinking alcohol was not compatible with spiritual growth.

18andlife

Post by 18andlife » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 am

I really enjoy a cold beer with dinner; the way I work it is that I made a decision that I'd never have more than one beer in a 24 hr period (maximum one a day). I figure alcohol won't be much of an issue for me if I never break that guideline; I've never been tempted to go against that decision so I find I can enjoy a beer without have to worry about it potentially affecting my life in a negative way.

runstrails

Post by runstrails » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 am

This sounds like a great policy. I'll try it too. More than one, can interfere with attention and awareness, I find.

Sighclone

Post by Sighclone » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:02 am

I drink about one ounce of alcohol a week.

Scott Kiloby is a fine nondual teacher (kiloby.com) with many thoughts and observations and recommendations regarding addictions.

Andy
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce

z78

Post by z78 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, its been a couple of days since I decided to give not drinking a go and my gosh can I feel a difference, my dulled senses have come alive and I am finding it much easy to be in the moment. I was drinking a glass to two a night most nights so not too far from what many people do, but progressing to a bottle at weekends.

Thanks for the replies, in the future I will see if I have anything to gain from drinking small amounts socially or even regularly but for the moment I am going to enjoy being for a while :) :)

Onceler

Post by Onceler » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:30 pm

I like to drink with friends. Usually there is a slippery point where it no longer is fun. I to can go long periods without, getting longer, and still be with friends!
Be present, be pleasant.

Marcel Franke

Post by Marcel Franke » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 pm

What is it, that sees me getting pissed ?

>
I take a bottle of wine
and go to drink it among the flowers.

We are allways three,
counting my shadow and my friend the shimmering moon.

Happily the moon knows nothing of drinking,
and my shadow is never thirsty.

When I sing, the moon listens to me in silence.
When I dance, my shadow dances too.

After all festivities the guests must depart.
This sadness I do not know.
When I go home, the moon goes with me,
and my shadow follows me.
<

~ Li Bai~
---ooOoo---

mus3cho

Post by mus3cho » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:52 am

no drinking, no drugging, no gambling, no smoking. I can't. Or should I say, I'm not willing to pay those consequences. I believe some religions have it almost right when they ban certain behaviors, but not for the reasons they do it. I believe we limit our potential when we get caught up in addictions of any kind. Addictions are distractions from the real journey. I don't want to sabotage myself.

Kutso

Post by Kutso » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Yes. In fact, this body is sipping wine right now. Why would this body give up things? It is a part of the world of form, so why give it up? It is only necessary to be detached from things. You don't have to distance yourself from things.
Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that. Not that.

mukau

Post by mukau » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 pm

Yes - over four years ago. For me, alcohol was just another self-medication... continuing to arrest my development. I wanted to go beyond that so I gave up drinking (and drugs and cigarettes).

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:48 am

That's great mukau. For some it is not that simple or easy. You are very lucky. :wink:

eputkonen

Post by eputkonen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:55 am

z78 wrote:Just wondering how many of you don't drink?

I have just come to realisation that it is something I have to stop doing as part of my journey.

Z

Funny, I started as part of my journey.
Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
@EngagedNondual on Twitter
https://www.youtube.com/EricPutkonen

heidi

Post by heidi » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Funny, I started as part of my journey.
:lol: I raise my glass to you, Eric!
Heidi