Someone asked, "How does one experience pure consciousness?"

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
kiki

Someone asked, "How does one experience pure consciousness?"

Post by kiki » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:31 pm

One doesn’t experience pure consciousness, one IS pure consciousness. As stated, your question implies there is a ‘me’ that wants to experience this thing called pure consciousness, so ‘How do I experience it?’, and that implication assumes there is duality, the separate I and pure consciousness.

If your question means to ask ‘How does one realize pure consciousness is true nature?’ that may be a better approach because it goes directly to the issue of what’s most important, finding out the truth of one’s existence.

The stumbling block to discovering this truth is the assumed belief that the ‘I’/me-entity is real, so start by investigating this. Find out if this ‘I’ you believe yourself to be, that you identify with, is actually real or not. Until now you have identified with it by assuming it to be real. There is a near constant narrative playing out in the mind that describes ‘my’ life that makes it seem to be about a real entity. Has it ever dawned on you to find out if that ‘me’ is real? We’ve assumed it is, but IS it? Look for yourself and see if you can find anything that is real, that is always present that is ‘me’, something other than a story or description of me.

If you make an honest and thorough investigation into this ‘me’ you’ve believed yourself to be you won’t find it. Yet, something exists which witnesses all stories and descriptions you have about yourself, and that is pure consciousness, the silent, still, omnipresent and inherently peaceful beingness of true nature.

All experiences come and go, but pure consciousness is always here. It is this omnipresent pure consciousness that all experiences play out on; it is what ‘knows’ the arising of every experience, every emotion and every sensation. That is what you are, the ‘knowingness’ and it doesn’t need mind to realize its presence. It is self-knowing, not as an object but as itself because it simply is, and not dependent upon mind for its existence.

Everything you believe about yourself is mind generated, but knowingness exists prior to mind. Allow yourself to feel the knowing aspect of pure consiousness. That can be realized right now. Time isn’t required because pure consciousness is timeless, eternal and transcendent to time. Allow attention to bathe in the knowingness of what you are rather than being fixated on and distracted by thoughts and emotions in the mind.

Can you just be without trying to figure anything out? Try it and see what is found. Give yourself permission to simply relax, let go and just be here with everything just as it is without agenda. Allow everything to just be without doing anything and feel the presence of existence in its purest aspect.

When you become finely attuned to the omnipresence of pure consciousness as one’s true nature you will even notice true nature as thoughts, emotions and sensations play out. What previously was seen as a constantly changing series of events ‘out there’ happening to a separate me 'in here' are now seen as a kind of dance, a dance that formless pure consciousness is having with itself expressed through a diversity of forms. In reality no one's toes are being stepped on because there are no separate dancers. It may seem that way, but that is the illusion if not looked at clearly.
"Miss Kelly, perhaps you'd like this flower. I seem to have misplaced my buttonhole ... Miss Kelly, you know, when you wear my flower you make it look beautiful." Elwood P. Dowd
---

Sighclone

Re: Someone asked, "How does one experience pure consciousness?"

Post by Sighclone » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:07 pm

Can you just be without trying to figure anything out? Try it and see what is found. Give yourself permission to simply relax, let go and just be here with everything just as it is without agenda. Allow everything to just be without doing anything and feel the presence of existence in its purest aspect.

When you become finely attuned to the omnipresence of pure consciousness as one’s true nature you will even notice true nature as thoughts, emotions and sensations play out. What previously was seen as a constantly changing series of events ‘out there’ happening to a separate me 'in here' are now seen as a kind of dance, a dance that formless pure consciousness is having with itself expressed through a diversity of forms. In reality no one's toes are being stepped on because there are no separate dancers. It may seem that way, but that is the illusion if not looked at clearly.
Ever notice how Eckhart pauses before answering a question? Pausing is, I believe, often helpful in noticing the dance. Absent sufficient time, conditioned "autopilot" responses will arise. These often have a source in ego, even if ego is largely vestigial for you. Because you are, ultimately, pure awareness, that "I- I" awareness will become aware of the "whole picture" which includes "formless pure consciousness...expressed through a variety of forms," and not just stuff happening to "little me." And the autopilot impulses can also be seen to arise, then. Not all of them are necessarily egoic or counterproductive, of course...particularly as you grow in spiritual awareness. Pausing helps.

Andy
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
The present holds the complete sum of existence. - Whitehead