Before the PON was published

Talk about anything Tolle-related here.
Ivor Brians

Before the PON was published

Post by Ivor Brians » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:10 am

I am just curious. Does anyone know how ET supported himself in the decades before the PON was published? I know he, "sat on park benches ..." for something like 2 years after his spontaneous awakening. He said that soon after that people said, "I want what you have. Can you give it to me?" Then he said he had a new external identity, that of spiritual teacher. Just wondering, was he just getting by for several decades, maybe running ads, 'spiritual teacher for hire'? Or, perhaps he had a trust fund? Wealthy benefactors? I admire him and what he's done and just trying to put the pieces together out of curiosity - Thanks!

Sighclone

Re: Before the PON was published

Post by Sighclone » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:36 am

This is not authoritative, but he was a grad student in comparative literature, and I think still supported by his parents somewhat. There must have been a trust fund of some sort, but it was running low and then he won a small lottery that enabled him to limp along until he got his little spiritual training practice going in the late 90's...then PON got picked up by a major publisher.
A person is not a thing or a process, but an opening through which the universe manifests. - Martin Heidegger
There is not past, no future; everything flows in an eternal present. - James Joyce
The present holds the complete sum of existence - Whitehead