I can't get over the past

This is the place to post whatever questions you have related to the teachings of Eckhart Tolle. The rest of us will do whatever we can to help you achieve a better understanding :)
fortune

I can't get over the past

Post by fortune » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 am

I can't get over past pain and i'm finding it hard to let go. I have repetitive thought that has been in my head for a long time and it won't go. If i can get over it i have a lot of potential to do things but my mind still thinks about things that died ages ago and are completely over.

Webwanderer

Re: I can't get over the past

Post by Webwanderer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:42 am

It's not past pain that is the problem. It's the pain you feel in the present in memory of past experiences. If you can't stop thinking about those certain past experiences then start thinking about them in different ways. Rather than live in judgment of yourself or others over those painful memories, start to think of them as valuable experiences in the greater scheme of life and of their contributions to the evolution of your consciousness. Finding avenues of appreciation will transform the pain you feel into the evolutionary expansion all experience is designed to be.

It's just a fact that we generally learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes if we only look to find how we might have been better and apply it to our current perspective. The past cannot be changed, but it can still teach us much about the choices we make now and in the future, and in that our past experience has great value. Therefore all of the past may legitimately be seen with a sense of appreciation from the perspective of our eternal beingness. Everything, every experience, is fuel for our conscious evolution. Feel this out. Let it become a vital part of your perspective on being. Doing so will bring a wonderful new direction in your life experience.

WW

Zazen

Post by Zazen » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:38 pm

fortune wrote:I can't get over past pain and i'm finding it hard to let go. I have repetitive thought that has been in my head for a long time and it won't go. If i can get over it i have a lot of potential to do things but my mind still thinks about things that died ages ago and are completely over.
Everything that dies in the silence of the moment is not true. And if the complaining mind comes back-remember there is nobody there to complain. It's just happening- a mechanical process. Do you blame yourself when the weather isn't good ? Similarly, you cannot really blame yourself when thought comes. Let it complain, you're not the complainer anyway. Unless you think you are :evil:

Blenderhead

Post by Blenderhead » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 pm

There is only one way to deal with this - stop thinking about the past. Everytime you notice it, stop it. Without thought there is no past, without past there is no pain :-)